Power pole anchor

Benni Newbie

Reaction score
We are considering installing a power pole on our pontoon boat. Before we sink ALOt of cash on this purchase, I need some advice. Did you purchase it from Amazon or Bass Pro? Did you install it yourself or use a professional? What size did you purchase? Everyone is always so helpful on this forum. Thanks in advance!

Good question I thought I wanted one too but after a month or two realized it was not needed. Dealer advised against it and said it won’t stay anchored as well as a traditional anchor with tides and waves, and boat wakes.
So I guess it’s a local boating decision.

Good question I thought I wanted one too but after a month or two realized it was not needed. Dealer advised against it and said it won’t stay anchored as well as a traditional anchor with tides and waves, and boat wakes.
So I guess it’s a local boating decision.
We live in FL and primarily go boating on Anna Maria Island. We always have to use two anchors at the sandbar. Just considering alternatives to traditional anchors right now. Thanks for the reply.

One alternative that would provide a clean installation, but cost a little more would be a jack plate on the engine that has holes predrilled for a power pole. The jack plate could void your warranty.

I would also shop around and look into independent dealers like this one - might be able to get a nice discount:

Some of the bass boat guys use this vendor with great success. Cross shop the Minn Kota Raptor as well to save a few bucks and take advantange of their technology that auto adjusts to wave conditions.

Also when I reached out to Power Pole regarding mounting locations they did NOT recommend any engine mounting options, either with a JP or with their engine mounting bracket. Their reasoning was that pontoons create a lot of splash right around the transom and it would hit the mounting bracket and cause a lot of drag. They insisted that pontooners use their special bracket that mounts just aft of one of your outer toons which protects it from splash.

I still plan on getting one, and while the install should be fairly straight-forward I'll probably have my mechanic perform the work.

We live in FL and primarily go boating on Anna Maria Island. We always have to use two anchors at the sandbar. Just considering alternatives to traditional anchors right now. Thanks for the reply.

I love AMI... been there a couple times.

That said, I'd say the power pole could be used to replace your second anchor, but wouldn't rely on it alone to provide most of the holding power against current and tides. Having anchored a lot off the Sanibel beaches/sand bars, I wouldn't wanna trust any pole set up to hold me reliably for any length of time I was off the boat.

What I'm looking into isn't one button push, but seemed a better idea, and might fit the bill of easy compared to another danforth with some rode...

I originally found this guide since it started as a DIY solution. He mentions a few mounting options, but just setting the pin, and using a dock line is cheap, easy, and works with waves/tides well. I was going to build a modular so I can store it in my storage locker in the floor...

parts:

If I were you, I'd still set the danforth off the bow as you back in, and use the pin to set the back. If you are rolling right up on the sandbar head first and are confident in the waves, wind, and tides... you could just pin the back and tie off a dock line...

Looks terrible (IMO) but I typically see them with one on front port side and another on starboard back side - not the power pole but the talon that goes straight down. I would consider a couple of anchor sticks (can't recall the name) before anything power operated, not a lot of room for the motor etc.
On a previous pontoon I used electrical hot sticks (fiberglass expandable poles), put a tip on the end. Of course that works on sandy bottom lakes, not sure about rock areas.

My dealer refuses to install them . I did not want one ,just came up in conversation.

Back