Power Pole

Has anyone added a Power pole to their 23ft. Am I just being lazy but we are always up on the beach with ours and I have to put a front anchor out on the beach. If the power pole is put on will this eliminate the beach anchor
Added a 10 ft PP to our 25 GCW for use at beaches in GOM. And it works great. Saves so much time and testy conversations with the wife who complains about "heavy" anchors and me mumbling instructions. So I would say well worth the expanse.!!!

$260 for the toon mount. Thinking of making my own from welded Aluminum Mount the PP at 90 deg and work the angle of the mount. Will have to figure out angle but that’s easy. Plus it wont be a powder coated piece on the aluminum toon. Thoughts?
Yes, if you have a TIG or MIG welder it would be a simple bracket to make. You could also add some additional gusset plates to stiffen and firm up the bracket. I would say, go for it.
I have the purchased one which is certainly OK. But I've often thought of ways to easily improve the design to stiffen it up.

Yes, if you have a TIG or MIG welder it would be a simple bracket to make. You could also add some additional gusset plates to stiffen and firm up the bracket. I would say, go for it.
I have the purchased one which is certainly OK. But I've often thought of ways to easily improve the design to stiffen it up.
Going to make one up of cardboard pcs then take it to our aluminum guy. Should look great on there to. We’re on FMB area here

Not sure but would think the PP brand mounts are made of steel? A lot of sheer, tension and torsion forces on those at times especially if windy or in current. Also, if you look at the PP kits there seems to be a lot of thought into the backing plates, angle of the mounting plate and bolt pattern from experience with their product. As much as I try to DIY as many things as possible, at $260 one may spend a lot more time, effort and money on potentially an inferior result. More power to you though and good luck! Please share results!

I think you will get a lot of splash into the boat if you mount to the side of the engine pod. My jack plate splashed into the boat between 3000-4000 rpms. I ended up making splash guards for the jack plate. Some jack plates have predrilled holes for pp.

I have the toon mount on my boat with the 10’ blade power pole. We use it all the time in SW Florida

Go to the power pole website. They show all the mounting brackets for a pontoon. I would think any power pole dealer can order the right one for you. Here is the link:

Last edited:
Has anyone had any problems with the poles bending or getting damaged?

I can't speak for the Benny owners with poles, but having competitively bass fished for years I can tell you 1) the poles on PP's are extremely durable and the force required to break one would be enormous. In high winds and current they will twist and skip on the bottom but not bend or break - they are almost indestructible, and 2) Power Pole (JL Marine) has a platinum reputation for warranting their products, so if something breaks like a pole, controller, pump etc. they will ship another out to you ASAP.

Minn Kota has a competing product with their Raptor line so you might want to cross shop them as well, I think they tend to be a few bucks less than PP.

As Potomacbassin mentioned the pole may twist in a strong current but will not break. I have experienced seeing my 10’ power pole blade twist pretty hard, but it never damaged. it has been a great option for our type of boating.

Has anyone had any problems with the poles bending or getting damaged?
mine has held up very well. I just had a line rupture (because it wasn't installed correctly) I can see its an easy fix but you must use their hoses as the polyethylene hoses from the big box stores are not as heavy duty. I tried everywhere to find them locally without any luck (even the boat dealer who installs as well as marine part supplier) . I do use the power pole, but in strong cross currents I still use a cross current anchor to avoid over working the pole.

Has anyone added a Power pole to their 23ft. Am I just being lazy but we are always up on the beach with ours and I have to put a front anchor out on the beach. If the power pole is put on will this eliminate the beach anchor
I installed the 10’ Talon on 2021 25R. Super easy. Rear port-side mount and your batteries are right there.

IMG_20220203_162158269_HDR.jpgWe use the power pole a lot. normally drive the front on the sand and drop the pole. You need to pay attention to the tides if you are doing it on the ocean beach and if there is wind we normally would put out a beach anchor too.

First I think it is a cleaner look. I didn’t like the bracket on top of the deck. Second, you don’t step on it while walking on the deck. You will have an issue with the ladder I’d you mount two, so probably want to do both on top so they match. Curious as to why you are, installing 2. Will you be fishing?
Do you have any detailed pics of your install? Considering doing this myself - 2020 R23

The post you quoted is 4 years old and the poster hasn't been active in over 2 . You could try to send him a PM. Perhaps he will reply .
Do you have any detailed pics of your install? Considering doing this myself - 2020 R23

Attachments

• 20201016_125059.jpg
    20201016_125059.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 11
Back