Power Steering Location

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I'm curious where the power steering pump is located in other people's boats. Mine is under the flip up chaise seat right in front of the helm. It's kind of a bummer being in there because it takes up what would be rare vertical storage space. I'm also a little concerned about what I store in that and the adjoining seat due to the 'caution hot' stickers on the pump. I've felt it a couple times after use and it didn't seem all that hot. How bad of an idea is it to pack stuff in around that pump? I was thinking of maybe moving it to the helm or something but it looks like it could be a pretty tough project. 

This is where mine is now. Smack dab in the middle of that nice, big storage space. 

IMG_1263.JPG

Mine is in the same spot. I dislike it for the same reason as you. Turns out it could be placed elswhere but they chose that spot.

That's where mine is too. 

I can't imagine how that pump would be relocated easily or cost effectively. Hydraulic lines are tough to move.

And hydraulic pumps do get hot. Do a bunch of docking moves, swinging the motor once side to the other several times, wait 30sec and feel the pump. It's hot.

Hydraulic oil, like engine oil, loses viscosity as it heats up. I don't know what temperature band the hydraulic oil should be running in, but I have a hunch the pump is in that big storage space specifically because it is a big space. Packing stuff around it is very likely a bad idea. I don't know much...but I do know that managing heat is a big deal in the world of hydraulic motors.

-Jeff

Ours is under the helm but that's where I put it. Do not put anything in there.

gallery_1200_147_10974.jpg

Mine's in the front corner of the console.
Where is this?  The lines go into the floor.  If in the console, I would have expected three of the lines to go up to the helm/wheel (no reason to go to the floor).  What are you referring to as the console?

I want to make sure that on my build, it is in the console and not in one of my storage areas.

Where is this?  The lines go into the floor.  If in the console, I would have expected three of the lines to go up to the helm/wheel (no reason to go to the floor).  What are you referring to as the console?

I want to make sure that on my build, it is in the console and not in one of my storage areas.
Under the helm/console:

gallery_5931_651_3164.jpg

Under the helm/console:

gallery_5931_651_3164.jpg
Haha...I guess your definition of console and mine are the same :).  I was just surprised to see all lines go into the floor.  Must then come back up directly under then helm then?  Probably cleaner than lines going directly to helm.  

I'm going to see if I can request the install that you have.  May be different for different configs.  I don't want any surprises.

I think it depends on the series you have. The pictures above are of a R+ series. I have a G and it is in the flip armrest storage and I dislike it as well. If I had know I would have done a special request. My assumption is under the helm is more a pain for maintenance of it as well as the console items

Yes, it is because it is an R series. The helm is bigger, heck, I've been completely inside my helm when doing stereo stuff. I wouldn't call it comfy, but it was doable. 

Back