power steering question

frito

Reaction score
i just picked up a new 2018 25 qsbwa, i had a 2014 qsb25 with a yamaha 300,, my question is this one has a mercury 350 with there power assist or whatever, is it normal for the steering to make sound, i see some say it is, just didnt have it on my yamaha setup,, thanks for any help

My power steering is quiet except when I have it cranked all the way to one side, at which point a faint screech can be heard.

Mine makes a little crackling sound. It's located under my helm so I hear a whine from it as well while operating

Congratulations on the boat, and the move to a Mercury. :cool:

I have a screech type sound from mine as well when turning. Threw me off at first, but used to it now.

Mine makes a whining sound. The pump is located under the helm.

Doesn't the Merc 350 have internal power steering?

I purchased a new boat last year and had the same issue. Took it to the dealer for my first check up and was told the noise was normal. I posted on here and many owners said normal. I then received a post that stated "Just wanted to update after trip to the dealer. He did replace helm unit. Claims this one has larger orifices. Don't know if its a recall or not but it fixed the problem 100%."

I provided this information to my dealer and they replaced the pump last fall - NO NOISE.

I purchased a new boat last year and had the same issue. Took it to the dealer for my first check up and was told the noise was normal. I posted on here and many owners said normal. I then received a post that stated "Just wanted to update after trip to the dealer. He did replace helm unit. Claims this one has larger orifices. Don't know if its a recall or not but it fixed the problem 100%."

I provided this information to my dealer and they replaced the pump last fall - NO NOISE.

Hmmmm....

Back