Power vs. Hydraulic Steering?

I asked my dealer today and they said it would be very expensive to retrofit the power assist steering but it could be done. They'll sell it to me for $1800 with the boat or about $3000 aftermarket. So as someone said to me "your already buying a Bennington with a 200hp why stop now?", I guess Im going to bite the bullet and have no regrets later. Hopefully 3 weeks until we see our boat!

I asked my dealer today and they said it would be very expensive to retrofit the power assist steering but it could be done. They'll sell it to me for $1800 with the boat or about $3000 aftermarket. So as someone said to me "your already buying a Bennington with a 200hp why stop now?", I guess Im going to bite the bullet and have no regrets later. Hopefully 3 weeks until we see our boat!
hi Chuck, you will LOVE power assist steering. Wise decision. Enjoy the new ride! TB

Smart decision you will not regret it.

Go with the power steering... I have a 200hp VMAX SHO on a 2275 GCW w/ ESP and it takes zero effort to get into sharp bank turns. My only complaint is that when you're just cruising slow, you can hear the electric motor on the pump a little (it's in the compartment under the seat back right in front of the helm). But it's not a deal breaker.

My last boat was a 20' Sunchaser with hydraulic steering, and a 60hp Merc Bigfoot, and it sucked not having power-assist, even with a tiny motor. It's the little luxuries that make the experience that much better, in my opinion. It's not like these boats are cheap to begin with, no sense nickle and diming now! Go big or go home! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny this question came up because I was explaining to another member (BKM) that power steering assist is one thing I wish I could change about my boat (at a reasonable price). My boat has the Seastar steering (hydraulic) and it's okay at slow speeds but at higher speeds it takes two hands to turn. I called my dealer last week and asked the question (again) as to the cost to add the power assist and he told me somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500. That's a lot of gas money to the cove and back.

Funny this question came up because I was explaining to another member (BKM) that power steering assist is one thing I wish I could change about my boat (at a reasonable price). My boat has the Seastar steering (hydraulic) and it's okay at slow speeds but at higher speeds it takes two hands to turn. I called my dealer last week and asked the question (again) as to the cost to add the power assist and he told me somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500. That's a lot of gas money to the cove and back.
Another source, www.LathamMarine.com is a very high end manufacturer of boat parts. They are considered the premier source for Off Shore Power Boats. Latham developed earlier power steering, private labeled Mercury. Two outboard steering system designs are shown on their web-site. One is similar to the Sea Star, the other uses a wing and cylinder(s) solution. The wing is fitted on the rear of the engine. The two cylinders mount on either side of the engine and connect the wing to the transom. The purpose of that design is probably over engineering for the pontoon boat...Maybe not. The cylinders act as gussets, reduce engine pivot pin load, stabilize steering and spread transom load. The pontoon transom may be too narrow to fully utilize that solution. However, a thick aluminum plate between the engine mounting brackets and transom can widen the narrow transom, as needed. (use of said plate may require gusset legs from the plate too the deck crossmemers) An engine with a loose tolerance pivot pin and bracket assembly, mounted on a flexing transom would benifit from the ram cylinder power steering.

Other sources include, StainlesMarine.com, CP performance, Kieth Eickert and Teague Custom Marine. CP performance and Teague Custom Marine will be found as helpfull distributors. Stainless Marine does excellent work, sometimes a little frustrating.

Latham can be a little pricey, but their stuff works. CP Performance is very knowlegeable and priced aggressive. The prices you guys are throwing around is cause to check with any of the above vendors. Installation should not be intimidating. Locating the engine hoist is probably the biggest challange.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Seastar power assist unit / hyd. hoses can be bought on-line much cheaper than retail.....around $1500. Installation is relatively simple. It can be a do-it-yourself project or you can have your dealer install it. Do a Youtube search on the installation. :)

Back