Powered vents for mooring cover

jcr159

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with, or thought about adding some of the powered (fan/solar) vents to the mooring cover to help dry things out? the floor locker isn't drying out well (i need to get my wood block to keep it open, lol. Thanks for the tip!) but I also saw some solar powered motorized vents that you can put in the mooring cover and wondered if anyone has tried anything like it?

I put a 12" solar powered greenhouse/chicken coop fan with a 50W solar panel in my center toon storage. It seems to be working well to keep things from getting musty from the last few mL of water the bilge pump cannot clear.

I’ve been looking at something like that. Do you have a link?

I put a 12" solar powered greenhouse/chicken coop fan with a 50W solar panel in my center toon storage. It seems to be working well to keep things from getting musty from the last few mL of water the bilge pump cannot clear.

Link and pics of the install? sounds like a solution for sure. I just ordered what I hope is a long enough pole for the cover to just leave the locker open and reach from the bottom of the tube to the cover... it's easier than doing the 2x4 wood block solution

Never had any trouble with my Bennington drying out after putting it away wet and we had carpet. Our cover was the premium breathable Sunbrella fabric and it didn't have vents built in. The canvas guy said we didn't need it!

Here is the unit I use: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01G7XCMQI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I bolted the fan to a piece of composite furring strip (about 1/2" thick, 2" wide) that is 17.5" long. This spans the opening in the toon itself, allowing the hatch to remain closed so critters (snakes) don't get in there. I built a frame using two sections of 1" white PEX, two segments of a foam pool noodle, and some stainless 10-24 bolts to set the panel on the foredeck of the boat. I store the system in our dock box when using the boat.

Last edited:
Here is the unit I use: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01G7XCMQI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I bolted the fan to a piece of composite furring strip (about 1/2" thick, 2" wide) that is 17.5" long. This spans the opening in the toon itself, allowing the hatch to remain closed so critters (snakes) don't get in there. I built a frame using two sections of 1" white PEX, two segments of a foam pool noodle, and some stainless 10-24 bolts to set the panel on the foredeck of the boat. I store the system in our dock box when using the boat.

Unfortunately, I won't be with SHMILY! until next weekend, but I will be happy to take some photos then.

Thanks!

Hello again!
Sorry for the delay; the weather has been variable, and we had the boat out for the mid-season cleaning. I finally was able to take some photos of the solar fan set up. It does keep the center toon storage from getting dank and musty. I forget the exact length of the furring strip, but I think it was around 17.5". It simply hangs transversely in the storage from the edges of the cutout in the toon.

tempImageE6BHhm.jpg

Last edited:
tempImagefz4Lc6.jpgHere are images of the padded pieces of Pex I used to protect the deck. The brackets came with the solar panel. The hardware is stainless.

Thanks for sharing! Very helpful!

Nice set up. Thanks for sharing the details.

Back