Preparing for summer towable tubes and skiing

jgelvin

Reaction score
Hello to all! I am new to the whole pontoon boat thing. So, as I put my "new" 2014 Bennington 22SSX in the water, I am realizing that I should get a ski mirror. I see that I am being asked to spend an arm and a leg. So, question #1 is, Does anyone have a nice mirror that they like that is under 100.00?
Question #2 is about a boom. Can I not pull a floatable with the eyelets in the back of the boat or do i need to install a ski boom? I have never needed one of those before on a v haul boat. Any thoughts would be very appreciated. (By the way, I love this forum!!!)

JBG
2014 Bennington 22SSX
2018 Evinrude 115 E-TEC

Welcome! My experience with our previous pontoon pulling a tube tied to the eyelet on the rear of a pontoon log was not a good one. I assume that is what you mean. The rope drags in the water and on occasion our oval disk tube would literally dig into the water like a U-boat submerging. Kids had to remember to pull up and lean back and it would still happen at times. I think you are going to want some elevated tow point to avoid that, although some tubes with different shapes and higher hitch points might be OK. Your local dealer should be able to provide options for a pylon, towing frame, etc. As to the mirror, you might use the Search function in the upper right corner to see what others have used. I don't have one. Happy Boating!

You are NOT supposed to tow for watersports from the eyelets on the back of the pontoons. The supports themselves are not designed for that. Additionally, as mentioned above, easy to have problematic submarining of towable and person.

Curious on other tow related things: 2 toons or tritoon? HP motor? Those things make massive differences on ability of the boat to tow well. However, specific to your question, read further...

If not already on the boat, you need to install a tow bar, or turbo swing, or potentially a pylon (they all do the same thing, secure your towable to the boat properly). My thoughts/opinions:

(1) Turbo Swing: Pros = Easiest to install and highest rated tow strength. Cons = likely the most expensive option. This is what we went with, but we choose it as an option when we ordered ours. Thus, it came with our boat.

(2) Traditional Tow Bar: Pros = Cheapest to get, and lots of options to choose from. Moderate difficulty to install depending on layout in back and flooring, as well as your DIY ability. Cons = Tow strength ratings vary and are less than turbo swings.

(3) Ski Pylons: Pros: Look good, raise rope up nicely. Typically decent tow strength ratings. Cons. Challenge of install based on rear layout, transome, etc.., might not be able to put on all boat layouts. Not a direction I would go in unless it came with build to begin with from factory.

Almost forgot...Congratulation on the new to you Bennington. Exciting time to get one. It will be a very different experience than your v-haul boat on a number of levels. Most all of them for the better.

Thank you all for those helpful tips. So glad to know that about the eyelets. Yes, with grandkids, I would like the to be a fun experience and not drudgery! I will start googling and see what I can come up with. The boat has a fishing box on the back and there is a hole in it for some form of a tow bar. I will need to be pulling it out of the water in the next week or two, so will have a better idea how I can connect it to the base.
I will search for mirrors on this forum.

We have a Turbo Swing and also use a Booster Ball to keep the rope from getting caught in the wake.booster.jpg

The hole in the fishing box is for a ski pylon. We have them on the boats. You can get one from the dealer but get your wallet out. They are not inexpensive. Use the search feature. I think somebody had one made.

I am definitely seeing more and more on these booster balls. Thanks!
Turbo Swings, Traditional Tow Bars, Ski Pylons are taking me some more reading time!
Nothing on Ski Mirrors yet.

PTEM Edge pontoon mirror. Had one for years and well worth the money! 2 different sizes. Check them out....... https://ptmedge.com/

OK, yes, went ahead and dropped the money on the PTMedge mirror. Glad to have the 20% discount. Thanks gang!
I will wait for the dealers to open back up to try to find a tow bar or turbo swing.
Getting closer to being ready for "pulling fun". Thanks again for the input!

jgelvin - Where did you find the 20% discount? Anyone have a picture of a mounted PTMedge?

Mostly do tubing with my kids. 2 questions...

Wondering if the PXR-100 is wide enough for tubes vs going up to the pro? Hoping to stay with the PXR-100

I dock my boat and cover it. Do I have to take the mirror off each time? Does it fold where you can cover with the Bennington cover or how does that work?

Thanks for the input, hoping to order and utilize the discount here.

Wondering if the PXR-100 is wide enough for tubes vs going up to the pro? Hoping to stay with the PXR-100

I dock my boat and cover it. Do I have to take the mirror off each time? Does it fold where you can cover with the Bennington cover or how does that work?

I can’t answer whether the pxr100 is wide enough, I have the pro and love it.
the mirror does fold down and I am able to put the mooring cover on no problem.

That is the big question. Personally, i would have been happy with the PXR-100. This pro is way wide. I feel that I am looking around it alot.

We dont have our boat slip secured yet. So, I am leaving the arm on the boat (with the playpen top over) and unscrewing the mirror and putting it away in case someone comes walking down the dock looking for stuff to steal.

Back