Prepping for Spring Delivery. Need to Buy Stuff.

AuthorizedUser

Reaction score
Hello all... in theory, my boat is being built right now (was told December 14). So, now I have to shift into high gear to buy what I need to take delivery in spring. Right now, we're just buying the minimum for our delivery date; we can buy all the other stuff soon after... and when we determine exactly what we'll need. The dealer is supplying life-jackets, mooring lines, throw cushion, flare kit, SOS flag, rubber coated anchor with 100' line, battery, and fuel (are there any other Coast Guard requirements?).

To take delivery in our slip, we need to show up at the marina with fenders:
  1. Can you let me know what size/length to buy for our 20' SLG? There are so many different widths and lengths (and costs).
  2. Do you use those quick clips that snap onto the rails with the pre-hung fender or do you have to adjust each time you hang them?
  3. What height should they hang in relation to the log?
  4. I want to get dark blue to match our fence. Dumb question, the color doesn't rub off on what it rubs against, does it?
I also want a boat hook, but I'm OK buying that. Also, we should probably have a first aid kit with us.

As I mentioned, there is LOTS of other stuff we'll buy once we get a feel for the boat. But, what else do we need for our maiden voyage and to tuck our boat into its slip? I don't want to be on the boat and realize we needed a critical item for that day. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200916_095845.jpg
    20200916_095845.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200916_095855.jpg
    20200916_095855.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200916_100727.jpg
    20200916_100727.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 60
Sounding device - air horn. Fire extinguisher. I’ve always gone one size up on fenders and dock lines. Those clips work well. I adjust them for a hair above the water. I store two sets on board in the center toon. Longer lines pre-adjusted for bow half of boat and shorter lines for stern half of boat. A little extra line on each for minor adjustments. The color is throughout, will not wear out. A set of Tervis Tumblers and cozies.

I think everything in those posts above makes a pretty stout list.

Not necessarily for your maiden voyage, but for future outings:
I'd probably recommend a couple/few water resistant bright flashlights (little LED cheap-o's with an o-ring to help seal up the inside should work fine) and a handful of spare batteries for any battery operated devices that you plan to have on board.

Depending on your lake size and orientation, there are some sub-$100 basic marine radios (either handheld or fixed mount) that might be a worthwhile investment. Lots of inland lakes have pretty decent cell coverage nowadays, but lots of them still don't. It's situational and subjective if you see value in having a marine radio.

See below in red.

Hello all... in theory, my boat is being built right now (was told December 14). So, now I have to shift into high gear to buy what I need to take delivery in spring. Right now, we're just buying the minimum for our delivery date; we can buy all the other stuff soon after... and when we determine exactly what we'll need. The dealer is supplying life-jackets, mooring lines, throw cushion, flare kit, SOS flag, rubber coated anchor with 100' line, battery, and fuel (are there any other Coast Guard requirements?).

To take delivery in our slip, we need to show up at the marina with fenders:
  1. Can you let me know what size/length to buy for our 20' SLG? There are so many different widths and lengths (and costs). -- I use 6 of the 6.5"x23" taylor made hull gard.
  2. Do you use those quick clips that snap onto the rails with the pre-hung fender or do you have to adjust each time you hang them? -- I did until half of them popped off during the hurricane we had this summer. I now use EZ Fenders and haven't looked back. The clips should be OK for now though.
  3. What height should they hang in relation to the log? -- Mine are such that the tip just touches the water, and the fender is between the docks and the rub rail/log. Will really depend on your dock setup.
  4. I want to get dark blue to match our fence. Dumb question, the color doesn't rub off on what it rubs against, does it? -- Haven't seen this.
I also want a boat hook, but I'm OK buying that. Also, we should probably have a first aid kit with us. -- Good things to have especially the first time docking the boat.

As I mentioned, there is LOTS of other stuff we'll buy once we get a feel for the boat. But, what else do we need for our maiden voyage and to tuck our boat into its slip? I don't want to be on the boat and realize we needed a critical item for that day. Thanks!

Prepping for Spring, nothing like waiting until the last minute!

We were first time boat owners last Spring and I had a great time getting things together. The list below isn't needed for the first trip but it's stuff that we got for our boat.

You have a good list. Our dealer put together a package much like yours, except our included fenders. The dealer should stock the most common size but I can't recall the size.

1) We have three sets of fenders. One for each side of the boat since out slip is boat to boat and an extra set in storage. I lost more than a few fenders while speeding. You'd think they'd be easy to find. Not when they're black! Extra fenders lines and clips.
2) Extra dock lines. We use these more to tie off the boat while swimming/floating.
3) Boat numbers and inspection sticker but that won't be needed on the first day. In Ohio we had 45 days to get those, but it turned in months due to COVID
4) A first aid kit
5) a few iPhone charging cables
6) Command strips and hooks to hang everything. Ropes are on a hook, strips to hold the cables and first aid kit under the haul.
7) A waterproof tote for tissues/napkins, rags for spills, small flash light.
8) A trash can! Extra trash bags
9) Ryobi cordless inflator for the floats and tube. A blower to blow off the deck. Two batteries and a charger. These are my favorite. Every time use the inflator someone asks about it. It's $20 and works great.
10) Collapsible dog bowl for the dogs.
11) Beach towels
12) Hoodies (kept in the waterproof tote)
13) The dealers kit came with an anchor but we bought a mushroom anchor because of lake is mud
14) Cell phone holder! This is a must. Uses a suction cup to attach to the haul. Squeezes the sides of the phone for easy use.
15) Cheap $5 pair of sunglasses. Someone told me to never wear expensive sunglasses on a boat. They're correct. I also keep a hat on board or me.
16) A throw able float
17) Rubber bumpers (think cabinet rubber dots) I put them on the outside of the u clip that holds the gates in place. That way when they don't slam metal to metal. Your guests (especially their kids) won't think to stop the door from slamming. This helps.
18) Extra life vests. Our boat holds 10, so we have 10.
19) A rubber stress ball to put in the "table hole". We added a second hole to move the table to the front or back. The ball stops the kids or dogs from catching a toe in the open hole.
20) Extra set of keys and key chain floats! We don't bring both sets on the boat but an extra set up is smart. We do leave one set in each car though. We rent dock space and meet at the dock after work. I'm ashamed to admit we had to sit on our boat and not drive it since we forgot the boat keys!
21) Solar power lights! We put two by our dock. It really helps when you come in after dark.

We had such a good time this year. We decided to buy the buy in April after COVID hit. Our thought process was we could "socially distance" on a big boat. It would bring our friends and family around, and it did. Our older kids ask us to the take their friends out. We've had our son's friends and their parents out for a long day in the swimming hole followed up with tubing. Our only regret is we didn't buy sooner. We've kicked it around for years and COVID made the decision for us.

We put ours away on 10/31/20 and then had the nicest two weekend in November that I remember and we couldn't get out on the water. It never fails every week someone in house says, I miss the boat!

Enjoy your new boat... 5 months for now.

VitiminJ

Some other items that are not expensive that should be on the boat include:
1. Set of tools (pliers, screwdrivers, etc.) - You never know when you will need to use them, plus a few zip ties and duct tape
2. Spray bottle of soap/water mixture to spray on upholstery if something gets spilled, plus a few shop rags to wipe with
3. Garbage can/bags
4. Extra towels - You never know when you'll need them
5. First Aid Kit

Not to hijack, but what kind of garbage can is everybody using? I usually just tie the bag the bimini, but that doesn't look great....

Not to hijack, but what kind of garbage can is everybody using? I usually just tie the bag the bimini, but that doesn't look great....
Well members have suggested that a Rubbermaid #2956 will fit in the garbage can area under the port side front seat. I purchased one and it didn't fit.

First and foremost -

- Get the USCG safety checklist for rec boaters and make sure all required items are aboard. Most if not all are listed above so great advice from the group, and the bare requirements should be provided by the dealer at no cost to you.

- Registration papers and decals. Sounds basic but the dealer didn't provide mine as part of the check ride, had to hound them for it

- Insurance and tow (Boat US etc). Progressive has a reasonably priced policy that includes tow (sign and glide), wreck removal, jump start, fuel etc.

- Boater safety course

- Operator manuals from Bennington and motor OEM. Your check ride will cover the basics but you don't want to be stranded wondering why the motor won't start (throttle in gear, killswitch etc.)

Other than that and fuel you should be good to go for the maiden. Remember to take lots of pictures of every part and angle - for warranty purposes you'll want to have the boat condition documented.

For your first outing, I think your list is spot on. Nice job! Easy to over-buy anticipating your needs vs. actually finding them out. Good ideas for later are above, but many are situational or personal choice dependent.

Ranger did a nice job following up with details (size of fenders, etc...). The only thing I differ with him on is the Taylor Made fender clips you mentioned originally. I have found them more than adequate for holding fenders on for docking. They are also cheap and provide flexibility in fender placement. If you prefer a more permanent placement, the EZ’s Ranger mentioned look good and work well for a lot of people too.

You and others have echo’d most of the following, but I’d be sure to still have them on the maiden voyage: dock hook, first aid kit, whistle or air horn, 1-2 orange paddles, and at least one inexpensive small tactical style flashlight. All of these are fairly basic, mainly emergency oriented items. To me, emergency oriented items are worth having at all times, even that maiden voyage to the dock. Due you have cell coverage where you boat? If yes, then I wouldn’t worry about the radios. If coverage is spotty, then a good idea in case of an emergency.

I would then personally hold off on most of the other ideas until you have a better feel for your wants and needs out on the water. I did pretty good at getting just what we needed, but I did buy 1-2 items in preparation for the boat that we subsequently don’t use. Could have been money saved...

And finally, since I didn’t see it above: 1 bottle of champagne. It will be the maiden voyage after all. You can always save it for when dockside if drinking and driving is a concern that first time (or anytime) out. :)

I'm 99% sure this is the trash can wo got. It does fit under the port side backrest.

Wow! That was quick, guys! Thank you very much. I've made note of each of your comments and recommendations. I now know how/where to hang the fenders (and what size to buy), to get an air horn in case my horn fails (a paddle for the same reason), extra dock lines in case we want to pull up to another dock on our maiden voyage, my legal/insurance paperwork, and waterproof cell phone holder. I just bought a pair of cheapy sunglasses from West Marine, so I'm set there. The rubber ball for the table hole is a GREAT idea! I bought two tables (bow and stern) but there will be times I have one stowed away. I will get tools, but not sure if I should get a leatherman or a few real tools. I've already taken the BoatUS safety course so I'm good to go with that! I'll take photos for sure inside and out; great suggestion! Vikingstaff wins the cupiedoll with his brilliant idea of CHAMPAGNE! Ding, ding, ding! What a great group of boaters! So happy to be a Benny owner! Dave

Attachments

• 20201222_160550.jpg
    20201222_160550.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 21
As for a boat hook, we have one of these, and there’s none better:

The Boat Loop
Very interesting. From the comments, it seems so many people are in love with this pole. Will have to seriously consider this... even with $22 shipping!

I also keep spare fluids on board - motor oil, fuel treatment, and power steering fluid. Haven’t really needed any (other than fuel treatment) but it provides a piece of mind especially if we are trailering to a lake we are unfamiliar with or is remote with limited access to marinas.

Then again, I error on the side of caution while on the water so this may be overkill for most.

Other things that i and my kids love which would be down the road purchases - a nice cooler, we tie ours down on the extended aft deck to keep it out of the way, a swim mat (bought a huge one from Sam’s club for like $250), rope bag, lots of sun screen, box anchor (we have a mud bottom) ball caps for the entire family, big mable w/a good rope - no need to buy a booster ball if you have the tow bar, First aid kit, and yeti cups. I think those are the things that get used the most on our boat but again these are down the road purchases and definitely not needed for your maiden voyage.

plus one on the champagne vikingstafff - I can’t believe everyone left that vital requirement out!

posting a pic of our favorite spot as I already have the winter blues!

enjoy your new memory maker! Thanks to everyone for such a great community and happy holidays!

Attachments

• A86822E2-12C8-43F4-8C5E-187F23A88CE6.jpeg
    A86822E2-12C8-43F4-8C5E-187F23A88CE6.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
We bought a shurhold 6' extendable handle/pole and a boat hook attachment for it. You can interchange several ends to use it for other things besides a docking pole. Only complaint the wife has using this setup is the round ball on the end of the hook doesn't grab dock posts like my old metal hook homemade one I built for our old boat did, We were afraid of poking a hole in the seat with the old homemade one so we bought the shurhold one.

Handle/Pole

Boat Hook Attachment

I am a recent convert to using the Box Anchor. I now have two. Small for the rear and medium as my primary. I am stunned at how well they work AND they collapse so storage is a breeze. Check them out before you buy your anchors.

I don’t have to worry too much about anchor issues. However, if I ever upgrade our cheapo anchor that came with our boat, I think I’d try the box based on so many people that have praised it, and the fact it collapses so as to save storage space. Seems like a win-win, although I also hear a lot of praise for the fortress anchors too.

As for a boat hook, we have one of these, and there’s none better:

The Boat Loop
Thank you for costing me $100! Seriously, I really do think this will be a game changer for me. I'm very worried about docking in our VERY tight slip next to another boat. With this puppy, my wife should be able to loop the outermost cleat and at least hold us in position as I swing the stern around; especially on windy days. She can even pull us into the slip if necessary. With time and practice, I hope to not rely on this, but between now and then, I'm sure this will be a life-saver! Thank you VERY much for the recommendation; I never saw it before. This forum is great!

Attachments

• 20210305_093727.jpg
    20210305_093727.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 28
Back