Problem with USB port on 2018 Sfx

If you mean the socket receptacle, then yes, I have bought the USB (power) receptacle on Amazon. Seems they would also have the media input ones, if they are different.

Our new 2021 usb doesn’t work, radio is sporadic and Garmin / depth finder cuts off every 10-15 minutes for 5-10 minutes. Depth finder doesn’t work above 10-12 mph. Love our time on the tritoon, very frustrated with the electrical issues - we don’t own a trailer and the boat his been to shop twice and spent more the 5 weeks in shops each visit for each replacement. Warranty has covers it but it is a hassle and this will be our last Bennington.

Our new 2021 usb doesn’t work, radio is sporadic and Garmin / depth finder cuts off every 10-15 minutes for 5-10 minutes. Depth finder doesn’t work above 10-12 mph. Love our time on the tritoon, very frustrated with the electrical issues - we don’t own a trailer and the boat his been to shop twice and spent more the 5 weeks in shops each visit for each replacement. Warranty has covers it but it is a hassle and this will be our last Bennington.

best to start a new thread rather than hijack an old thread

that said, your issue is related to the sonar alignment. basically its either mounted too high/low and/or at an angle.

Sorry to hear that the shop isn't getting it right, but if you gave them the same amount of info you gave us... i don't blame them. not much detail. it is covered under warranty, hopefully the dealer can make it right. This isn't a Benny problem, it's a dealer problem.

I also don't understand the "new" and 2021 comment... was this old dealer stock?

Boats aren't like cars, and ALL boat brands have assembly issues and most need some tinkering after delivery. hence the warranty. But again, the timing problems are a dealer issue. Maybe try another Bennington dealer if one is available. Possibly call Bennington and advise of your experiences with your current dealer.

Really though, it sounds like normal pains associated with getting a boat in the water every year (or every launch if you trailer, lol).

best to start a new thread rather than hijack an old thread

that said, your issue is related to the sonar alignment. basically its either mounted too high/low and/or at an angle.

Sorry to hear that the shop isn't getting it right, but if you gave them the same amount of info you gave us... i don't blame them. not much detail. it is covered under warranty, hopefully the dealer can make it right. This isn't a Benny problem, it's a dealer problem.

I also don't understand the "new" and 2021 comment... was this old dealer stock?

Boats aren't like cars, and ALL boat brands have assembly issues and most need some tinkering after delivery. hence the warranty. But again, the timing problems are a dealer issue. Maybe try another Bennington dealer if one is available. Possibly call Bennington and advise of your experiences with your current dealer.

Really though, it sounds like normal pains associated with getting a boat in the water every year (or every launch if you trailer, lol).
Jack,

Sorry, I didn't realize I highjacked anything. I read several comments about some of the same issues. It is my first time using the board as I was searching for information.

Of course, I told the dealer(s) - I have used 2 - more than was here - what an odd thought that I might not have shared more than what was written above in these brief comments. I have not met another boat owner that is or says they have experienced the Garmin and Radio shutting down every 10-15 minutes for 5-10 minutes as "normal pains," but maybe I don't know the right folks. Ha. and this is still after 2 shops doing lots of warranty work. The 2021 was new when we bought it and we are still struggling with the same issue from day 1.

I apologize if my comments were offensive to you. Hope long have you worked for Bennington?

Best,

Jack,

Sorry, I didn't realize I highjacked anything. I read several comments about some of the same issues. It is my first time using the board as I was searching for information.

Of course, I told the dealer(s) - I have used 2 - more than was here - what an odd thought that I might not have shared more than what was written above in these brief comments. I have not met another boat owner that is or says they have experienced the Garmin and Radio shutting down every 10-15 minutes for 5-10 minutes as "normal pains," but maybe I don't know the right folks. Ha. and this is still after 2 shops doing lots of warranty work. The 2021 was new when we bought it and we are still struggling with the same issue from day 1.

I apologize if my comments were offensive to you. Hope long have you worked for Bennington?

Best,
I don’t work for Bennington, but you came into the owners forum, provided by the manufacturer, provided half the information necessary for members to give you good direction, and indicated (“this will be my last Bennington”) that the manufacturer was crap.

All in a thread that was 2 years old.

All is generally bad etiquette in most forums, not just this one.

Can you see how members may have interpreted your issue as whining and looking for an outlet to bash someone?

I personally read your post as some new to boating that had unrealistic expectations about boat ownership that hadn’t done a lick of research before buying and expected the experience to be much like buying a car. Unfortunately it isn’t because boats are bespoke, hand manufactured machines one at a time without a line of robotics to assemble.

That said, it’s unfortunate that your dealers can’t figure things out. Seems like an electrical or head unit problem, both of which after 2 years of complaints should be easily solvable. Most on here, myself included, have had fantastic service from our dealers. Sorry to hear you haven’t. That said, you were in some of the height of parts shortages and that likely impacted the timing of repairs as well.

If it were me, I’d do an experiment to help the dealer troubleshoot. To isolate whether the head unit is bad or it’s an electrical supply problem, borrow a battery or buy a battery from somewhere and wire the head unit directly to it at the dock…. Heck, a jump pack from Walmart would work that you can return. Run the radio at the dock. If it shuts down the same, I’d wager the whole head unit needs replaced. If it doesn’t, you probably have loose or shorted connections somewhere between the battery and head unit.

I don’t work for Bennington, but you came into the owners forum, provided by the manufacturer, provided half the information necessary for members to give you good direction, and indicated (“this will be my last Bennington”) that the manufacturer was crap.

All in a thread that was 2 years old.

All is generally bad etiquette in most forums, not just this one.

Can you see how members may have interpreted your issue as whining and looking for an outlet to bash someone?

I personally read your post as some new to boating that had unrealistic expectations about boat ownership that hadn’t done a lick of research before buying and expected the experience to be much like buying a car. Unfortunately it isn’t because boats are bespoke, hand manufactured machines one at a time without a line of robotics to assemble.

That said, it’s unfortunate that your dealers can’t figure things out. Seems like an electrical or head unit problem, both of which after 2 years of complaints should be easily solvable. Most on here, myself included, have had fantastic service from our dealers. Sorry to hear you haven’t. That said, you were in some of the height of parts shortages and that likely impacted the timing of repairs as well.

If it were me, I’d do an experiment to help the dealer troubleshoot. To isolate whether the head unit is bad or it’s an electrical supply problem, borrow a battery or buy a battery from somewhere and wire the head unit directly to it at the dock…. Heck, a jump pack from Walmart would work that you can return. Run the radio at the dock. If it shuts down the same, I’d wager the whole head unit needs replaced. If it doesn’t, you probably have loose or shorted connections somewhere between the battery and head unit.
Helpful, and I am new to boards, and this is good to know. also didn't know the feedback or questions on here would be that detailed and /or that it was a "problem-solving" forum or anything of that nature - also, good to know, thanks! the clarification really does help.

We have done all the wiring checks with them and the thought they found the issue in both cases and "fixed" the wiring - but the problem is now worse. I will try the Walmart jump-pack idea and see what happens - that is a good thought. I will also jump off here since and start something new if that doesn't address it. Hopefully, this will help isolate the problem. Appreciate the help.

Helpful, and I am new to boards, and this is good to know. also didn't know the feedback or questions on here would be that detailed and /or that it was a "problem-solving" forum or anything of that nature - also, good to know, thanks! the clarification really does help.

We have done all the wiring checks with them and the thought they found the issue in both cases and "fixed" the wiring - but the problem is now worse. I will try the Walmart jump-pack idea and see what happens - that is a good thought. I will also jump off here since and start something new if that doesn't address it. Hopefully, this will help isolate the problem. Appreciate the help.
Good luck!

And the crew here is really knowledgeable and helpful. Many have owned multiple boats over decades including multiple Benningtons.

Generally, they are a great manufacturer and dealer network, but there have been some lemons (both boats and dealers). Assume good intentions, and if needed, escalate to Bennington the dealer concerns you have. Bummer that you may be on your own a bit, but starting a new thread with your troubleshooting steps, boat config (model, hull, motor), and details about each thing you try will help others help you. Heck, we have a member that amalgamated parts from multiple boats to turn it into a twin engine beast. So there's definitely some help.

Also, if you update your profile with more info about your general location or region, other members from that area may chime in to give you advice on service, etc.

You can contact Bennington with the link below .Be sure to include your Hull ID

Back