Prop Cleaning

I take mine off and drop it off at a prop shop every couple years and have it checked for balance and look at the Hub just an overall checkup and it comes back all shinny.

I take mine off and drop it off at a prop shop every couple years and have it checked for balance and look at the Hub just an overall checkup and it comes back all shinny.
Thanks

Since I keep mine trimmed up it doesn't get that bad . I do clean it at the sand bar with a nylon scrub pad . I have also waxed it on occasion.

Cleaning or repairing/tuning? If just cleaning I suppose it depends on what it's fouled with but there are likely many resources online for this (products and methods).

If repairing nicks, dings and dents then a metal file can help for small issues while larger issues may necessitate sending off to a prop shop. Your marina may have easy access to one (mine for example has a weekly pick up/drop off to a shop down in Norfolk) or you can ship to one of many reputable shops around the country.

I get a calcium buildup on my SS prop. I soak it in a tub of vinegar for a day or two and it wipes right off.

We kept our boat on a lift last year so it was so easy to keep it clean. But over the years I've cleaned our prop with sponges, old socks, rags, Windex, SS cleaner whatever was available! And yes like Jack I've waxed it!!!

I get a calcium buildup on my SS prop. I soak it in a tub of vinegar for a day or two and it wipes right off.
Thats good to know. Mine gets the calcium buildup as well. I will try the Vinegar myself. Use it already to wash the boat.

Our boat is always lifted out of the water when not in use, and the SS prop looks like new. I honestly never thought about cleaning it or waxing it as a result. Sounds like some good ideas above for those that may need to clean it…or want to.

Does that buildup occur when using your boat or do you keep the engine down when docked?

The prop is in the water about 12 hours a day about 3 times a week. This is running and floating. At the dock the prop is out of the water. The pontoons are always in the water.

Back