prop dia vs rpm

mtudb24

Reaction score
Does rpm go down or up diameter changes? I have. 15c15 on my 2011way benny RCW. Motor 150 pro xs. Currently running merc enertia. Thinking of going to same prop but going to a 14.5 in either 16 or 17up pitch.

Any thoughts as it my rpm goes up or or down.

Thanks

Toss

Going to a 16p or 17p your rpms will go down. Not sure how dia will effect the rpms. Why do you wish to change? I've heard the 15p Inertia is a great prop for a 150.

Diameter affects engine rpm less than pitch.

Ideally, you would select a pitch that gets you closest to your max rpm, even if it's over, and then go with a larger or smaller diametr to make the final adjustment.

Of course, real life isn't like that, so generally on a pontoon boat you hang a 14" prop and you run the least pitch you can without over-revving.

Im just trying to get all performance out pf this Pro XS motor. Heard they like to be up in their rpm curve (5750). Though it I went to a smaller diameter and a larger pitch, it might pick up another couple mph.

I like the holeshot. Its fast and quiet.

Thanks

Todd

Todd,

A bit off topic but is that a slide in your picture? If so, can you provide us a larger picture or any information on it? Looks pretty cool. Thanks, John

Im just trying to get all performance out pf this Pro XS motor. Heard they like to be up in their rpm curve (5750). Though it I went to a smaller diameter and a larger pitch, it might pick up another couple mph.

I like the holeshot. Its fast and quiet.

Thanks

Todd

Gastonguy

Yep, its a slide. Got it from overtons. Very sturdy and safe. Ill get a better picture up for ya

Todd

Does rpm go down or up diameter changes? I have. 15c15 on my 2011way benny RCW. Motor 150 pro xs. Currently running merc enertia. Thinking of going to same prop but going to a 14.5 in either 16 or 17up pitch.

Any thoughts as it my rpm goes up or or down.

Thanks

Toss
My 3rd trip out in my new Bennington 2574 express package. I am wondering if my rpm is ok. With throttle wide open I max out at 5250 rpm trimmed up with 2 people, max speed 36mph.

I am reading some information and it seems the Yamaha 150hp 4 stroke should top out at 5800-6000rpm. Am I losing anything by only reaching 5200-5300rpm? Should I investigate prop change in order to reach 6000rpm? I read on the internet some info that for proper break in I should be able to reach manufacturer max rpm.

Yes you should investigate a prop change. Contact the folks at power tech props they are true experts. Ptprops.com

My 3rd trip out in my new Bennington 2574 express package. I am wondering if my rpm is ok. With throttle wide open I max out at 5250 rpm trimmed up with 2 people, max speed 36mph.

I am reading some information and it seems the Yamaha 150hp 4 stroke should top out at 5800-6000rpm. Am I losing anything by only reaching 5200-5300rpm? Should I investigate prop change in order to reach 6000rpm? I read on the internet some info that for proper break in I should be able to reach manufacturer max rpm.
I am in the same boat :blink: , I swapped my engine from my 07 benny which was the 22' triple tube with strakes on both sides of all 3 tubes. I ran 5900RPM at a solid 38-39 mph with that boat with full fuel which was 35 gallons and 41-42 on a near empty boat in perfect calm conditions with bimini in road position ,.

On my new 22' GCW ESP I am only seeing 5400 rpm max and 35 mph with about 3/4 tank of fuel which is around 45 gallons and slight breezes. I know that if I could get the rpms up I should be able to match the speed on my last boat if I have 1/2 tank of fuel or less.

Mine has a stock yamaha black stainless 15 X 15 prop which was the perfect match for the last boat, but a bit much for this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back