Prop for Mercury 150

Michael Joseph

Reaction score
What prop are you all running on your Merc 150’s? My friend has a 11x17P on his 2019 150 HP and his top speed sucks. I run a 14.25x17 on my Yammy 150 HP, which lead me to believe his prop diameter is to small.

Same. Enertia 15x15. 40-41 mph. Thanks Todd!

Yes, your friends boat seems wildly mis-propped for a Mercury 150. I’d absolutely relay the advice above for the 15x15 Enertia. What’s your friends RPMS when at WOT right now? What speed? Hopefully he has not caused unnecessary wear and rare on that poor motor.

That‘s nice MPH Daril. Just seems like a very large pitch for a 150 Mercury. I am assuming your RPM’s are good so far.

My 16p was dialed in for my 200HP Mercury Verado Pro. Now with my Sea Legs I need to ideally drop a pitch to compensate for added weight and loss of RPM’s with them on the boat. However, I just am not interested in dropping the money when my current prop is In like new condition and our performance is still really good and in the mid point of the RPM range.

The mysteries of dialing in performance with a prop. ;)

That‘s nice MPH Daril. Just seems like a very large pitch for a 150 Mercury. I am assuming your RPM’s are good so far.

My 16p was dialed in for my 200HP Mercury Verado Pro. Now with my Sea Legs I need to ideally drop a pitch to compensate for added weight and loss of RPM’s with them on the boat. However, I just am not interested in dropping the money when my current prop is In like new condition and our performance is still really good and in the mid point of the RPM range.

The mysteries of dialing in performance with a prop. ;)
I thought the pitch was a bit high until we test drove it. Our dealer told us we could try another prop /pitch if we wanted to but so far satisfied with the hole shot and and we"ll push it a little bit once we get the oil changed at 20 hrs. What prop pitch do you think we could try to compare. Opinions? Our old boat also had a 17P.

Last edited:
I thought the pitch was a bit high until we test drove it. Our dealer told us we could try another prop /pitch if we wanted to but so far satisfied with the hole shot and and we"ll push it a little bit once we get the oil changed at 20 hrs. What prop pitch do you think we could try to compare. Opinions? Our old boat also had a 17P.

With your 150 Merc, I would have really thought the 15x15 Enertia based on how most everyone I know with a Merc 150 talks about them. That said Daril, you sound like you are in good shape with what’s there. Different boat, weight distribution, etc... maybe impacting too...? If you bother trying anything, I’d give the 15x15 a try. And that is if you bother at all since your numbers seems fine.

With your 150 Merc, I would have really thought the 15x15 Enertia based on how most everyone I know with a Merc 150 talks about them. That said Daril, you sound like you are in good shape with what’s there. Different boat, weight distribution, etc... maybe impacting too...? If you bother trying anything, I’d give the 15x15 a try. And that is if you bother at all since your numbers seems fine.
Thx for the input. I think the big difference is my current boat is so much lighter than my I/O. The engine alone is about 400 lbs. less. We'll really push it after the 20 hr oil change service and keep a close eye on the RPMs. The holeshot is great now but if changing to a 15 pitch makes it better I'm all for it....

Quick update: I switched from a Solas 14.25x17 to a Reliance 14.25x17 and I am very pleased. The speed from the Solas prop was nice but the throttle response, cavitation, and vibration was not. The Reliance prop is so much better and the 3 issues I listed with the Solas prop are now gone. Grant it, it was more than twice the price but it’s worth it. If you have a Yamaha, I recommend sticking with a Reliance prop.

Back