Prop Issues - 2023 - 20LSNP w Yamaha VF90LA

Lowbid

Reaction score
2023 Model 20LSNP
Yamaha VF90LA

Dealer originally gave me an aluminum K prop 14-11. WOT exceeding 6200 and cutting out
Does anybody have the same setup. If so, what prop are you running?

Thanks.

Last edited:
According to the prop chart I got from my dealer. The recomended starting point is a 13 1/2 X 15 on a 20 ft with a 90 hp

Depends on your setup - do you have twin elliptical? Express? Standard twin?

Next step down on the standard K prop appears to be a 13 5/8 x 13 so if you want to stick with a cheap K aluminum that's probably a good next prop to try. Or as Jack noted, jump past the 13 and 14 pitch and try at 15p.

You should also consider the Talon line which is a K size and comes in aluminum or SS. They're made with more blade area to better handle the greater drag of pontoons and other deep drafting boats.

2023 Model 20LSNP
Yamaha VF90LA

Dealer originally gave me an aluminum K prop 14-11. WOT exceeding 6200 and cutting out
Does anybody have the same setup. If so, what prop are you running?

Thanks.
You are under-propped and hitting the rev limiter. Our similar rig worked well with the basic Yamie 14p 3-blade Al. However even better for most of our use is the 13p Nemesis pontoon prop 4-blade (lower cost version of the Spitfire pontoon). For pulling an inflatable with 4-5 aboard, the 12p Talon 3-blade is the best I've used, but you may not want to go that far. Your rig may hit the rev limiter with that one. Our relatively heavy R-model almost does.

PS Our motor was hitting the rev limit the basic Yamie 13p that was on the motor when we bought the pontoon. I have a basic 15p, but it runs 30+% slip and only gets worse with load.

Last edited:
I have a 2001 - 2575 RL-2 25’toons powered with a mercury 90 horsepower 4 stroke. Came to me used w a Black Max 14 inch 13, pitch. 3 blade prop and has run great for the last four years. Had some prop damage & need a new Prop. The online Mercury prop finder, based upon the engine, size of the pontoon, load et cetera I should be using an 11 pitch. Most pontoon forums/online resources suggest higher pitches 13/15/19 etcetera? The engine plate indicates maximum RPM of 6000 with wide open throttle between 5,000-5,500. In most cases I never reach the 5000 to 5500 RPM's with the 13 pitch prop. With 2 of us on the boat wide open, my depth finder speedometer, we probably do 20 to 22 knots. Wondering if I should replace with another 13 pitch prop, drop down to 11 pitch as the mercury prop Finder suggests, or even go to a higher pitch?. #CONFUSED.

You have a large heavy boat so with that 90hp you need more diameter to overcome the drag as well as keep your revs up, which is likely why Merc recommended an 11p. Much of this comes down to trial and error and testing a few props so I would at least try Merc's suggestion to see if there are any improvements. Your RPM will certainly increase so that's good, and your time to plane and acceleration (hole shot) should also improve. You'll be giving up a little speed in return. I presume it's the 14x11 vs your current 14x13.

Back