Prop / Power Slippage: Comes & Goes, Reverse seems to Reset It

LaurencetheAdventurer

Reaction score
Last weekend we were out enjoying the lake when after a lunch stop my Benny's prop / power band acted as if the Prop or something internal was slipping / skipping (this is fully trimmed down, straight, flat water). At low speeds the power band would sputter, with the propulsion seeming to engage, then disengage. The issue seems to clear up at higher speeds and/or after reversing then going forward. It appears to start happening again after being stopped and going forward. I am thinking something happened to the Prop Hub (Flo-Torq SSR HD Hub Kit, 8M0101601), allowing the prop to slip - will be pulling apart this weekend, have replacement ready. Any feedback or idea's appreciated before taking it to the dealer (almost ready for it's 20 hour service anyway). My best!

You would think that its got enough power to spin it completely rounded out/stripped if the spline or HUB got damaged and it didn't move at all. I'm interested in the fix and or real problem from your dealer. Sucks to hear...

I don't know much about the SSR, at the time IIRC I could only source the Flo Torque IV - BUT it appears there are several SSR applications including an HD and Solid variant. You may not have the one rated for your 350 so a failed hub is absolutely a possibility. Normally when I see that kind of sloppy performance usually its weeds or plastic bag thats wrapped in the prop, but I think you boat on deep clear lakes. Hub / prop inspection is a good first stop, and if you have a spare prop, and easy thing to test.

Thanks for suggestions. I have had similar issues, but at the higher speeds. At 3,000 and higher rpm’s the boat would not accelerate and seemed like there was a slippage. Happened last fall as well. Today, when it happened, I stopped the boat; turned off the engine; and raised and lowered the trim. Leaves and small twigs floated out behind the engine. There was nothing around the prop. I restarted and had it up to 4,500 rpm’s without the hesitation. It’s only happened in the fall, so I’m hoping debris is all it was.

Last weekend we were out enjoying the lake when after a lunch stop my Benny's prop / power band acted as if the Prop or something internal was slipping / skipping (this is fully trimmed down, straight, flat water). At low speeds the power band would sputter, with the propulsion seeming to engage, then disengage. The issue seems to clear up at higher speeds and/or after reversing then going forward. It appears to start happening again after being stopped and going forward. I am thinking something happened to the Prop Hub (Flo-Torq SSR HD Hub Kit, 8M0101601), allowing the prop to slip - will be pulling apart this weekend, have replacement ready. Any feedback or idea's appreciated before taking it to the dealer (almost ready for it's 20 hour service anyway). My best!
So after the boat spent a month at the shop getting a variety of items fixed or upgraded: The dealer said they could find no evidence of any issues or malfunction with the prop installation or hub. The working theory: The gas pick up line that came loose in the gas tank (it is pressure fitted, no clamp - our 120 degree heat might have been a factor) resulted in air getting in the line, which in turn caused a lack of gas supply to the engine. So when accelerating, especially at low RPM, the low flow allowed too much air and the engine's power band would fail. A combination of stopping the engine and/or high acceleration / speed would reset / increase fuel supply and then it would work. I will keep you posted, taking the boat out again Dec 4th for the Boat Parade, going to give some real testing now that it hit the 20 hour mark and had it's 20 hour service.

I am not sure what prop you have but a lot of them have a rubber between the hub and the prop. The reason for this is instead of tearing up a prop shaft or internals of the lower drive this rubber will let the prop give. Some will only show up when under heavy load and then slip, some make it simple to figure out they are slipping. Once it starts slipping it will only get worse.

I have not messed with one of these props in a very long time since on my other boat there is no rubber between the hub and prop, but I believe a prop repair place can replace the rubber.

Back