Prop question 2014 SSRX

kcd3257

Reaction score
So we have a 2014 SSRX 90 Yamaha 4 stroke twin “25 tubes on advice from members here switched out the turning point 13.75 x15 which was turning WOT 22.9 mph at 5100 to a Soltas Amita3 14 x 11prop to get the motor rpms up now turning 6100 WOT same top speed 22.9
Better low end performance
My question is am I better off to cruise with the solas prop or is the other one at 5100 more engine friendly and more fuel efficient. Load was 2 people full tank of gas
Thanks in advance any and all info appreciated

So we have a 2014 SSRX 90 Yamaha 4 stroke twin “25 tubes on advice from members here switched out the turning point 13.75 x15 which was turning WOT 22.9 mph at 5100 to a Soltas Amita3 14 x 11prop to get the motor rpms up now turning 6100 WOT same top speed 22.9
My question is am I better off to cruise with the solas prop or is the other one at 5100 more engine friendly and more fuel efficient. Load was 2 people full tank of gas
I’m running a black diamond 14/13 and getting 5800 rpm and 26 mph. I’d be a little concerned exceeding 6000 rpm as 6 is the upper limit for a Yammie 90

You'll need to get engine data - whether it's MPG or GPH - at your desired cruise speed. This is either transmitted to your gauge clusters or some other manner (MFD).

Generally speaking being over-propped is not good for engine longevity, almost like being in overdrive up a long hill. It adds more load to your motor which in the long run is apparently worse than more wear from higher RPMs. So the Solas prop is making a "happier" engine in that respect. But as for efficiency at a particular speed you'll need consumption data.

Hmmmm...Well if you are stuck with those two props, The 15p is best for your stated use. It puts you in the desired RPM range (assuming your 90 is the standard "F" model, not "VF"). It will get you better MPG and lower engine noise at typical cruise speeds of 12-20 MPH and give a bit more speed near idle too. If you get into heavy loads or towing, the 11p is the better choice. The WOT RPM slightly above the desired range (again assuming 5-6000) will mostly, if not entirely, disappear at higher load.

Normally I'd suggest a pontoon rated prop (Like a Talon, Nemesis, Spitfire) But as best I can guess (not knowing your gear ratio), your calculated slip with either of those props is reasonable (with the 15p being high borderline, but not too bad). As suggested above, there are props that will hook up better and might get you a bit more speed, but do you care?

I looked up the Talon which is a Yamaha prop and see its 13 1/2
Where as the other 2 I have are 13.75 and 14
Is the Talon a pontoon specific prop ?

I looked up the Talon which is a Yamaha prop and see its 13 1/2
Where as the other 2 I have are 13.75 and 14
Is the Talon a pontoon specific prop ?
Yes and no. The prop in the linked bulletin is a sophisticated stainless steel design that lists for over $500. It will work well for a number of applications. The elliptical toons on the test pontoon are good for significantly more speed that you will ever get with even 25" tubes (our pontoon has 23" tubes).

IF you are in the mood to find a more all-around prop, I'd suggest you not shop by prop diameter. Manufactures combine design features to target performance goals for you. For pontoons like ours, aluminum pontoon-oriented props are the best bang-for-the-buck and several have given good results. The Black Diamond (Quicksilver's version of the Merc black Max) mentioned above sounds pretty good, but is not specifically a pontoon prop. The Nemesis pontoon (Quicksilver's version of the Mec Spitfire) we normally run is good too. I am testing an aluminum Talon Pontoon 12p, but do not have results of a fair test yet. However I do know that dropping the motor down from up two holes to only up one hole cut the calculated slip by 7% (although it still seems to be higher than I like, not sure why).

Last edited:
Yes and no. The prop in the linked bulletin is a sophisticated stainless steel design that lists for over $500. It will work well for a number of applications. The elliptical toons on the test pontoon are good for significantly more speed that you will ever get with even 25" tubes (our pontoon has 23" tubes).

IF you are in the mood to find a more all-around prop, I'd suggest you not shop by prop diameter. Manufactures combine design features to target performance goals for you. For pontoons like ours, aluminum pontoon-oriented props are the best bang-for-the-buck and several have given good results. The Black Diamond (Quicksilver's version of the Merc black Max) mentioned above sounds pretty good, but is not specifically a pontoon prop. The Nemesis pontoon (Quicksilver's version of the Mec Spitfire) we normally run is good too. I am testing an aluminum Talon Pontoon 12p, but do not have results of a fair test yet. However I do know that dropping the motor down from up two holes to only up one hole cut the calculated slip by 7% (although it still seems to be higher than I like, not sure why).
Thanks, let me know how that Talon test turns out...

I had a 2013 22 SLX with a 90 , I do not remember the size of the prop . It was a 4 blade , I was able to hit 29 ,full tank ,my wife and I

KCD I think testing another prop may be beneficial as there is a Solas 13.75 x 13p that would slot in between your two already - sometimes the results aren't linear and you could either be pleasantly surprised or, at worst, know you covered all your bases and have the best selection in hand. I hear of a lot of folks that go years running a poor prop, which to me makes no sense given the cheap(er) price of an aluminum prop.

Great point PB about the elliptical toon - checked another bulletin on a 25" 2-toon Manitou and top speed was 26mph. That's a fairly significant % gain in speed for those ellipticals and to me would be a huge selling point for any prospective buyer.

Which sets up an interesting question - if you had the choice of upgrading to ellipticals (roughly $2k on the builder site) vs increasing HP (roughly $1k from 90HP -> 115HP Merc) which would you choose?

Unless I missed I didnt see the size of your pontoon , 20 to 25 ? Under deck wave shield? Lots of variables

KCD I think testing another prop may be beneficial as there is a Solas 13.75 x 13p that would slot in between your two already - sometimes the results aren't linear and you could either be pleasantly surprised or, at worst, know you covered all your bases and have the best selection in hand. I hear of a lot of folks that go years running a poor prop, which to me makes no sense given the cheap(er) price of an aluminum prop.

Great point PB about the elliptical toon - checked another bulletin on a 25" 2-toon Manitou and top speed was 26mph. That's a fairly significant % gain in speed for those ellipticals and to me would be a huge selling point for any prospective buyer.

Which sets up an interesting question - if you had the choice of upgrading to ellipticals (roughly $2k on the builder site) vs increasing HP (roughly $1k from 90HP -> 115HP Merc) which would you choose?
"As per the sales brochure our pontoon has the 25" toons 2014 24' SSRX so no upgrade there. I know this boat motor combo is underpowered so just trying to get the max out of the setup we have. If I could get to 24-25 mph I would be more than happy

"As per the sales brochure our pontoon has the 25" toons 2014 24' SSRX so no upgrade there. I know this boat motor combo is underpowered so just trying to get the max out of the setup we have. If I could get to 24-25 mph I would be more than happy
KCD - yes, agreed in your case. I was directing the theoretical question to Party Barge as if a new build. Lots of questions from folks on the site about "if I could only select one option..." type of scenarios, and PB is very good at analyzing these tradeoffs. Just curious to his opinion.

Thanks

KCD - yes, agreed in your case. I was directing the theoretical question to Party Barge as if a new build. Lots of questions from folks on the site about "if I could only select one option..." type of scenarios, and PB is very good at analyzing these tradeoffs. Just curious to his opinion.

Thanks

At those differentials, I'd be super quick to do both! Realistically, I wouldn't have a burning need for ellipticals over 25" to 27" tubes, but more power will be on our next pontoon...likely with an eye to more than 115.

That's asking a lot of 90 HP unless you throw some (all) of the furniture overboard. I expect you can find a single prop that does everything your individual props do at an upper desired range RPM. The fact that both of your current props run the same top speed just different RPM is telling. A low-slip pontoon prop (meaning modest speed design) of 11p or 12p might get you ~1 MPH But maybe not....however, there would be no need to swap props for all around performance.

That's asking a lot of 90 HP unless you throw some (all) of the furniture overboard. I expect you can find a single prop that does everything your individual props do at an upper desired range RPM. The fact that both of your current props run the same top speed just different RPM is telling. A low-slip pontoon prop (meaning modest speed design) of 11p or 12p might get you ~1 MPH But maybe not....however, there would be no need to swap props for all around performance.
lol, i have to keep the furniture as the wife likes that. So am I better off with the 15 pitch or should I get a 13 pitch in between the 2. i hate to think that the 15 is lugging the motor at 5100 rpm at WOT.

Back