Prop Rattle

kaydano

Reaction score
Anyone swear by the Flo-Torq IV hub to eliminate rattle?

I love the Enertia (Thanks Todd!), but it does rattle pretty good at low rpm.  New guests on the boat look a little alarmed when they hear it.  It is pretty loud and to boating newbs, it sounds like something isn't right with the motor.  I usually say something like "I wonder if they forgot to put oil in the motor.  We'll probably be far enough from the dam though in case the motor seizes up."  The silence afterwards is golden.  Especially the teenage boys (friends of my daughter) who know just enough about some things that you can easily scare the crap out of them.

But, before I spend nearly $100 on a hub, just want to make sure it will work.

I have zero rattle on my Enertia 18p with standard hub, nor the 19p I had before that.

Not sure about Merc but my new motor has Yamahas SDS hub which ensures this won't happen.

6 cylinder motors don't rattle with the Enertia but 4 cyl do. I have the flo-torq IV and it works. I also have a III if you want to try it Kaydano. We're in Fla at the moment but I'll be back home this Sunday. Taking daughter and grandson on a cruise.

Not hijacking but what cruise line is the best Carl? We went on a carnival and it was terrible. I think it might have ruined cruises for us.

We have been on seven--six Royal Caribbean and one Carnival--and the worst RC was ten times better than the Carnival. From our one experience with Carnival it seemed to us that they catered to the younger crowd,  definitely those that wanted to party 24/7. Guess we're too old for that.

Thanks Clark!

I'm bummed your having prop chatter with the new motor Dan. Hopefully a new hub with soften the ride for you

Thanks Carl, but for some reason I thought the III wouldn't cut it. I must have read that somewhere. I'll probably just get a IV sometime.

Andy - it's not a big deal and I knew it would do this when I got it, but I love the performance of the prop, so it's worth it. If I gun the motor just slightly then go back to idle it will go away..

Are you using the flo torq 4?

yep flo torq IV still a little clunk when going into gear I consider that normal but like I said I dont hear any rattle I have not been dissapointed worth every penny to me

Good to know.  Thanks for the info.

This was our 36th cruise. That being said, we don't go when kids are out of school or during spring break or holidays. We've been on RCL, Norwegien, Holland America (best food),Celebrity, Princess, Costa and Carnival. The different ships have different classes of people (partiers and not). Carnival is the bargain.

Back