Prop Selection

DurtyMaxUSMC

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Bennington 25ft Rsr fast back with the aluminum clad arch on it, running a Yamaha f300 series motor, my question is what prop is, the best for this style of boat is, i currently have a three blade, 16 pitch and 15 1/2 diameter, my whole shot is great, but my top end is only 46-47. is this normal and what do you suggest getting more if I can.

I have a 2016 Bennington 25ft Rsr fast back with the aluminum clad arch on it, running a Yamaha f300 series motor, my question is what prop is, the best for this style of boat is, i currently have a three blade, 16 pitch and 15 1/2 diameter, my whole shot is great, but my top end is only 46-47. is this normal and what do you suggest getting more if I can.
Welcome!

What is your RPM at WOT on a light load when achieving that 46-47mph? That is a big part of trying to ascertain if you are doing well with performance. Also, do you know which specific prop you are using? Different props are cupped and perform differently. You can also scroll through our Performance thread to find Bennington’s most similar to yours and what prop they are running and performance they are getting.

List Your Specs Here

I am sure others will respond too, but I thought the above would assist.

I have a suggested prop chart that Bennington provides to dealers. For a 25 ft with a Yamaha 300 the " suggested " prop is a 15 1/2 X 17 Saltwater SDS. You can also contact Ken at propgods.com

46-47 is actually very good for a Bennington in the 250-300hp class. You might top out low 50's in ideal conditions - engine is well maintained, toons are perfectly clean, fuel tank half full, 1-2 people, no wind, etc. - but given you have the sport arch I think that would be a stretch.

Propping a heavier pontoon you'll want one that has a bit more surface/blade area than most. 15+ inch diameter props will be able to grab more water and overcome the weight/drag of your boat to turn that thrust into speed. But the tradeoff is that your engine can only turn that larger prop so fast and you'll potentially lose some top end.

What RPM are you topping out at? If you can get to 5800-6000 RPM then you're pretty darn close the perfection. What brand/model prop?

I agree. Most with a 300 will be content with 46-47

Back