Prop size and engine RPM

Cdnemsguy

Reaction score
Hello, my first time starting a post here after searching for the answers to a few of these questions. I have a 2013 SSRX24 with a 2015 G1 150HO. It has a 4 blade Cyclone SS prop on it and I cannot find any marking to see the dimensions. Question one is what could it be size wise or where are the markings on this older prop? Secondly it comes out of the hole and planes quite quickly regardless of the load, but max RPM is 4900-5000 WOT only. (best trim) I don't think that is enough at WOT as the redline noted by Evinrude is 4850-5850 rpm with an optimal powerband in the 55-5600 range. 2 strokes in the past love RPM to be happy, unless this has changed, and this is why I am thinking about a prop change. The engine runs great and as soon as my Diag kit come in today, I will take a scan and make sure. The current prop of unknown size does need some repair so wanting to buy another anyways, I just want the correct one. I do not have the WOT GPS speed as yet, but it seems decent even at 4900 rpm. Thanks for any input on this.

4 blade should behave as you mentioned: come out of hole and plan quickly. Should give better control at lower speeds when navigating, like docking. 3 blade better high throttle performance, and depending on style/design of SS prop, may or may not be better at mid-ranges. They each have their purpose.

Should be a series of numbers stamped on the side of the SS prop. I’m not at all familiar with Cyclone props. That said, you are at the bottom of your RPM range at WOT. Good enough for your motors health, but since you need to get a new prop, I too would be looking to get into the max recommended RPM range when at WOT with a light load. If you have a 150 HP motor, might as well dial in its performance!?!

With the right 3 blade SS prop (what I am more familiar with), you would probably want to be around a 13p. Can vary by prop/blade design. If wanting to stick with a 4 blade, others can probably share.

Also, check the link below for a thread on props and performance. Search it for boat/motor combos that best mimic yours to provide some insights.

List Your Specs Here

Back