Prop size and water coming up thru floor

Mike Frantz

Reaction score
Good afternoon, as you can see in the title and my number of posts, I'm new and I have two questions.

I have a 2010 22SLi with the 90 horse ultra low emission motor, it has the H 14X11P prop it will run 5600 rpm all day, but I can't tell you the speed (yet, my wife bought me a fish finder with all the bells and whistles)

I would like some more top end.

Second question, since the beggining we get a puddle building up dead center on the carpet just forward of the drivers console. if I have more people up front it is worse. The Bennington dealer wants me to bring it up there to him to look at, but it's 2 1/2 hours north of here. the aluminum cross member at that spot has a grey plastic curved piece going side to side in the front of it. It starts out as a puddle and starts working it's way side to side.

I love this boat, it has the 25 inch pontoons, lots of room for everyone.

I hope to be a good member of this group and thank you for being there...... Mike

Welcome, Mike. Hope you are enjoying your new Bennie. I can't help with your leak, but I'd say you are probably at 20-22 with your speed. Not sure that more is possible with your engine. Let us know once you've had a GPS on her. Enjoy.

Good afternoon, as you can see in the title and my number of posts, I'm new and I have two questions.

I have a 2010 22SLi with the 90 horse ultra low emission motor, it has the H 14X11P prop it will run 5600 rpm all day, but I can't tell you the speed (yet, my wife bought me a fish finder with all the bells and whistles)

Second question, since the beggining we get a puddle building up dead center on the carpet just forward of the drivers console. if I have more people up front it is worse. The Bennington dealer wants me to bring it up there to him to look at, but it's 2 1/2 hours north of here. the aluminum cross member at that spot has a grey plastic curved piece going side to side in the front of it. It starts out as a puddle and starts working it's way side to side.

I hope to be a good member of this group and thank you for being there...... Mike

That boat with that motor and a 14x10p prop should run 23mph at 6000rpm.

If you're above 20 right now, you're good to go.

As for your wet spot...

Frankly, it sounds almost like the water is coming up through a left to right gap between two pieces of plywood. I'm not saying that IS what's happening, just that it SOUNDS like that's what's happening.

If that's the case, your dealership may decide that it's less hassle to just install an under-deck wave shield.

All of this is of course predicated on the idea that there IS a gap.

Hi Mike, sorry to hear that you are experiencing trouble. We put vinyl splash guards at all deck seams to protect from water intrusion above deck. Maybe one of your splash guards has cracked or come loose? If you can, look up under the deck where the leak is occuring and do a quick visual. Sounds like one of them needs to be replaced under warranty. The dealer can order the piece and send it to you if you want to do the repair yourself and save the trip to the dealership. Otherwise, please take it in as soon as possible for repair so you can enjoy the rest of your summer! TB

thank you all for the quick responce.

Apparently I can go to a 14 x 10 prop for a little help there. thank you.

As far as the water coming up thru the deck, the plastic piece is in good shape, I will probably wait till the boating season is over to take it back up to the dealer.

Can I just take a tube of clear silicon and go on each side of the cross member?

again thank you for the help.

I too have the same situation you have described. I have a 3 year old 2275 fsi and in the middle of the carpet just forward of the console I get a water spot the spreads laterally as I continue to drive. It is in the same spot everytime and it makes little difference whether there are high waves or calm water or how fast I am going. I asked the dealer and was told that it could be coming from the live well/seat forward of the console but I seldom use that as a live well or any thing for that matter. I will take some pictures this coming weekend and post them now that I know asomeone else is seeing the same thing that I have witnessed for some time. Keep posting if you get some additional information.

Well we can rule out the live well thing, I don't have one. Also I noticed the other day when I had more people up front than usual, it really started coming up fast thru the floor. normally it starts out as a wet spot that progressively gets bigger, but this time it was the size of a football and it actually was running to the back of the boat, right down the middle.

I tried to attach some pictures, but haven't figured it out yet. I will shoot some video and post it on YouTube with the link here. That should work. thanks, and keep us informed. Mike

Mike, PLEASE take your boat back to the dealer for diagnosis and repair under warranty. Your deck has a lifetime warranty if you bought the boat new! Don't let it get worse. We want happy boaters! TB

Back