Prop type and size for Yamaha 300

Skipping Scallop

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Well I just saw my new boat with the new Yamaha DTS 300. Its on a 25' salt series tri-toon. Looks like I will finally get my boat next week after waiting 7 months. Very excited. Getting my boat from Riverside marine/ Tampa FL. I looked at the prop and it's not a Saltwater Series II. I thought the new motors came with them for Bennington boats. It's another brand. Is this ok? I asked what kind of top speed I would be looking at and was told 45 MPH. Is the correct? I thought I would break 50 MPH for sure.
Thank you for your help.
Mike

Dealers do the rigging , prop ,batteries etc .
I was able to hit 45 with a 200 on a 23 ft Q ,2 people ,full tank clean toons

I can hit 41 mph on my GCW 2574 with a 250 Verado @ 6600 RPM, but I’m probably a bit under propped. You’ve got a big boat as well so 50 might be a stretch. Give us some more specific information such as brand and size/pitch & RPM. Post some pictures of of her as well! Congratulations!!

41 MPH, 6100 RPM W/ 300 Yamaha, on a 24' Bennington 24 Bowrider.

I hit 46 on a 23rsb with the yamaha 300.

I hit 42 mph at wot on gps lightly loaded on my 200 HP Mercury Verado Pro, SPS hull, 24’ SXP SB model/layout Bennington (with the additional weight of Sea Legs on the boat). I was 44 mph prior to Sea Legs. My boat is a lighter model, so I’d expect better speed/HP compared to a bigger or heavier model.

When I ordered my boat back in 2017, I specified during the negotiations the “type” of prop I wanted (Enertia) as the prop does not come with the boat or motor. The dealer picks/puts on the prop.

Thus, some dealers pick more inexpensive less performing options and others look to prop the boat as best they know how.

What does your dealer have on it now (prop type, pitch, diameter)?

Additional information (model, specific hull, current dealer selected prop brand and size) as some have mentioned will be helpful in getting advice/feedback. That said, I would expect a few more MPH than 45 with a 300 HP motor. Depending on model and specific hull type, I’d be thinking somewhere between 46-52…again, depending on model and hull as boat weight impacts this greatly.

Last edited:
My guess is most dealers do not care about boat performance I had asked dealer about engine height and prop and his answer was they did what the factory suggested.

I do not know about the spec on the 3 blade prop I have and can not see now that the boat is on a lift and water is too cold to get in the water to check. I am thinking of going with a 4 blade prop hoping that it will made boat more responsive when put in reverse or forward when idling.

My dealer will do water tests ( with me ) changing props until they get it right .The factory sheet is suggested prop use . All dealers how ever are not alike .

My guess is most dealers do not care about boat performance I had asked dealer about engine height and prop and his answer was they did what the factory suggested.

I do not know about the spec on the 3 blade prop I have and can not see now that the boat is on a lift and water is too cold to get in the water to check. I am thinking of going with a 4 blade prop hoping that it will made boat more responsive when put in reverse or forward when idling.
I agree. The prop is one I have never heard of but will get more info on the final boat test before final payment. Probably go for the Saltwater Pro II from Yamaha. Did you guys get a safety package of life vests and flairs when you bought a new boat for free?

My dealer does give a complete safety package with each sale ,4 PFD's ,oar ,flairs and throw cushion .
He also gives an anchor and line ,2 bumpers and lines

Mine does the same. Plus full tank gas and instruction. He also is giving me two anchors. They have 184 boats on order now. (not all bennys)
34 days to build date.

Prop will be whatever the dealer can get his hands on. With the supply chain issues they are not going to hold onto delivery of your boat (and payment by you) because the "ideal" prop is backordered 3 months. You'll likely get what you get with the dealer statement that "we tested it and runs great". In many cases that will be utter rubbish. Hopefully not.

Unfortunately the dealer is likely under no legal obligation to get you a SWS2 or Merc Eneria prop which would be the two I recommend. They should however want to make you happy so 1) you use them for service and 2) so you don't complain to Bennington, so if you get some substandard prop with terrible performance numbers push back and demand better... if you have a respectful and professional discussion they will probably try to work with you.

I touched 50mph with my 23' and F250 but that was with 1 person, half tank, motor raised 2 holes, ideal prop for top speed and maybe an outgoing tide. Can you hit 50 with your 300? Depends on a lot of factors - possible, but keep your expectations to high 40's.

I have a bow rider with 200 Yamaha I’m only getting 36
I believe the bow riders run a bit slower than the traditional SPS and ESP tritoon hulls. Larger center area (not sure what to call it since it isn’t really a center pontoon…?) in hull creates much more resistance. 36 might be pretty decent for the bow rider and a 200HP motor, especially if its the 4 cyl F200 Yamaha as opposed to the VMax 200.

Thank you every one! I appreciate the info. I will see if the prop is available in Saltwater series and I think he said he installed the motor all the way down. I would think this would promote more drag and trim not to work as well. He mentioned something that the boat won't cavitate as much this way and you only loose about 2 mph. When we go for the test run I will ask them to bring the next size up pitch prop also to check out. I would think if I choose the Salt series prop he should install for me at no extra costs but we will see.

Thank you every one! I appreciate the info. I will see if the prop is available in Saltwater series and I think he said he installed the motor all the way down. I would think this would promote more drag and trim not to work as well. He mentioned something that the boat won't cavitate as much this way and you only loose about 2 mph. When we go for the test run I will ask them to bring the next size up pitch prop also to check out. I would think if I choose the Salt series prop he should install for me at no extra costs but we will see.
45 mph is pretty dang fast for this type of boat, congrats on the new boat

If your boat is like mine that larger / heavier engine will squat the stern quite a bit, so there will be a bit more drag than a lighter I4 engine (200 HP and below). Therefore raising the engine at least one position is worth trying. I raised mine to 2nd highest and still don't ventilate the prop even in turns. Note - my 17p Mercury prop is 14.5" in diameter, while a Yamaha SWS 17p prop is 15.5". If you do end up getting a SWS then raising the motor to the higher positions could cause ventilation due to that extra half inch radius.

Also props have different design characteristics besides pitch and diameter so be aware of that as well. I tested two SWS props (19p was too much, have a 16p as my spare) and while they have more "bite" and better hole shot than the Mercury prop due to the larger diameter, they have much lower top speed and less fuel efficient at higher speeds. Consider trying an Enertia prop if top speed and fuel efficiency are priorities for you.

Thank you! Good point about the back further down. I did also opt for the 53 gal gas tank to that will pull it down also. I guess I will see soon and make determinations then. I know the dealer will probably try to talk me out of any changes. He will want it gone..

Thank you! Good point about the back further down. I did also opt for the 53 gal gas tank to that will pull it down also. I guess I will see soon and make determinations then. I know the dealer will probably try to talk me out of any changes. He will want it gone..
Best to dial it in yourself once you have the boat. Always an ”educated” guessing game until you can be on the water with it, using it as you intend to use it. You’ll get there, and you’ll be boating doing it. Not a bad way to “work on something”. ;)

First, you might get lucky and have great/expected performance right from the start. Hopefully that will be the case.

If not, if you stay polite/professional, but still direct with the request, I would hope the dealer will work with you on dialing it in. My dealer tried to “assure” me they had the best prop on it for my needs. They were adamant, and had that tone of “we know what we are doing, you don’t”.

However, I knew from this forum that I was leaving about 5-7 mph on the table with too small of a pitched Enertia prop. They ended up sending a tech out with the next 2 larger pitched Enertia props to “show me” what they were talking about.

Sure enough, we improved mph at wot by 6-7 mph lightly loaded. Hole shot and acceleration arc were also slightly better. Tech was “Huh!?! Didn’t expect that. Good thing they had me come out.”

Normally I think they prop for mixed use and try to strike a happy medium between hole shot, fuel efficiency and WOT mph which keeps most owners happy with a pontoon. However, everyone has different intentions with these, especially the Tritoons with monster motors such as yours.

On mine at the time, my thought was why would I pay extra for a supercharged v6 200HP motor and then have it perform like a regular 150? I will not or I would have saved the money in the first place, so lets dial this baby in. :)

…Finally, these days, the dealer and their customers also have gaps in prop availability to contend with as well. I like to think your dealership will do their best to meet your expectations within their ability to actually get some good props to test/try/switch too. Just be patient, but politely persistent. Before you know it, your slick new Bennington will be doing all it was built to do. :cool:

I believe the bow riders run a bit slower than the traditional SPS and ESP tritoon hulls. Larger center area (not sure what to call it since it isn’t really a center pontoon…?) in hull creates much more resistance. 36 might be pretty decent for the bow rider and a 200HP motor, especially if its the 4 cyl F200 Yamaha as opposed to the VMax 200.
Thks so much for info yes the boat is very heavy I run with full tank of gas (53) gallons & I have F200 should have went with Vmax 200 the dealer said he raise the engine & change to ss prop if they can get one Thks again

Back