Proper phone charging at the helm...

jcr159

Reaction score
2022 24' LSB here... it has an Aux input and usb combo plug at the helm presumably to get tunes to the radio...

I tried using the USB to charge my phone the other day, and it definitely doesn't have enough power for that. at my other speaker locations I have usb type a and c chargers. Any advice on adding one to the helm?

thx!

That is strange, mine is the same way. It makes me think there is a reason otherwise why would they stock two different types of jacks? My wife's car is the same way, the aux for the radio does not charge.

Makes me think it can’t be that hard to tap the same power being used for the better chargers to just add one more

Mine has a 12 volt receptacle so I’m able to use an adapter to charge a phone. Like the other comments, it doesn’t charge using the USB outlet.

two choices.. 12V Cigarette lighter adapter or cut-in some usb ports (I did that).. I cut in next to the 12v cigarette adapter and tapped into those wires. 1654613668229.png

Attachments

• 1654613639555.png
    1654613639555.png
    269.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
"SOME" of the newer models have wireless charging ( not sure which ones )

View attachment 32808

This is the answer! I tapped into the live well switch which is unused to power this.

Scanstrut ROKK Wireless Active Wireless Phone Charger
Hey can you please share visually how you tapped into the live well switch? I’m going to do this for LED lights and been looking for some highlights to get me going.

No pictures at the moment. I just cut the orange/brown which was associated with the livewell and the black and spliced into it with the wires coming from the charger. I ended up using waterproof wire nuts cause I wasn't very successful with the heat gun lol. See diagram:

1655339722111.png

Just installed the Scanstrut Rokk Wireless Charger/Phone Holder today. One of the best accessories on any boat or pontoon. Tapped into the unused live well switch just like @claustralia.

View attachment 33113

Wish I could have done the same…. That location so taken by my garmin striker…

Hoping to replace it next year with a much better unit. This will be a great way to cover the hole!

As affordable as these are, they aughta be standard equipment in all new boats, vehicles and cabbed equipment.

1658669363711.png

Love the wireless charging concept, but have you guys had any issues with phone overheating while charging in the sun like that? I was considering placing it lower on the helm to be shaded some. Currently I set my phone down by the fire extinguisher half the time to keep it cool. Bimini only offers shade a portion of the time.

Love the wireless charging concept, but have you guys had any issues with phone overheating while charging in the sun like that? I was considering placing it lower on the helm to be shaded some. Currently I set my phone down by the fire extinguisher half the time to keep it cool. Bimini only offers shade a portion of the time.

I don't have the wireless charger on the boat. That said, just putting the phone, screen down to keep it cooler, on the helm has had it over heat on really hot days in the direct sun.

I've had issues with things heating a ton in the wireless charger built into my car as well... That said, I have an iphone with magsafe, and the car charger is a Qi... not sure if that is part of the issue...

My bigger issue is that the wireless charging doesn't always keep up with the phone power needs. I figured that was just an iphone/apple problem though...

Right - I run a long cord and store my phone in the cooler in a zip lock: It too hot in Havasu to leave the phone out.

Back