Props, Engines and Set Up

CcanDo

Reaction score
Everyone, with few exceptions has experienced "Learning To Drive". That may include the family sedan, boat, airplane, horse, and etc. First time out, everything was "front and center". Then, as proficiency advanced, the new driver started relaxing, exponential to skill, application and environment.

We Americans are said to have a "Love Affair With the Automobile". Manufactures capitalize on that by advertising Horsepower, Speed, Handling, Fuel Economy and etc. The buyer considers all of those points, factors in creature comforts, aesthetics, price and makes a comparative decision.

However, the buyer also "trusts the fact" everything stated is Gospel Truth. Subject to any short coming of those assumed facts, back to the service department for warranty, as final resort, "Lemon". Though, percentages have most vehicles operating as stated. The buyer "Perceives" the new automobile will run as fast as the speedometer and/or brochure. However, the buyer never has any intention of ever testing, to verify. But, there is a typical satisfaction in being able to pull out and safely pass, in a tense moment or not. At that moment, there may be a strong conscious, or even subconscious justification for making that purchase decision. However, the "Budget" also plays a big role in making that purchase decision, regardless of how much reserve one may have....More of the American Way.....Though if we had trouble passing, then we start rationalizing justification, trading, fixing and so forth.

The same applies to the Boat/Motor/Prop Package. The salesman may offer, "he doesn't go out on boats", blah, blah , He just stated a disclaimer. But, he says, the brochure says, "here is what she will do, or I have heard". Well, there are so many variables, the brochure may not have factored in the weight, CG effect of those options, temperature, altitude, rigging and etc.

JMHO, design your personal specifications, go through Due Diligence and use that knowledge to support your purchase decision. But, like the automobile, design the purchase to provide for an "occasional speed blast". Meaning, if 35 is the desired Beta speed, design it to be capable of 50. Otherwise, one may have 30 and be trying to "fix it" to go 50. In the long run, the first option may be a lot cheaper, less frustrating and a whole lot more fun.

CcanDo, are you considering the purchase of a new boat?

I would like to comment on one thing you wrote, "if 35 is the desired Beta speed, design it to be capable of 50." Top speed is one area where boats and cars differ greatly. With cars, it is very rare for an owner to take it out regularly and drive it at WOT for any length of time. With boating, this is commonplace. So commonplace that many do, as you point out, try and modify their boats to increase the speed of their boat at WOT. I certainly agree that buying a boat that will exceed one's desired speed out of the box is the way to go if money is no object. But with pontoons in particular, the cost difference between one that will do 25 MPH out of the box, and one that will do 50 MPH is huge. Far more than buying say a Mustang with a 6 cylinder versus a supercharged V8. I haven't priced them out, but I'm thinking a good example would be going from 2 25" toons and a 90 HP motor to tritoon with an ESP package, power steering and a 250 HP outboard. A huge cost difference considering someone could probably get more than the 30 MPH desired by going with two elipticals and a 150 HP.

I know my wife would not buy your logic (unfortunately). :D

CuanDo, are you considering the purchase of a new boat?

I would like to comment on one thing you wrote, "if 35 is the desired Beta speed, design it to be capable of 50." Top speed is one area where boats and cars differ greatly. With cars, it is very rare for an owner to take it out regularly and drive it at WOT for any length of time. With boating, this is commonplace. So commonplace that many do, as you point out, try and modify their boats to increase the speed of their boat at WOT. I certainly agree that buying a boat that will exceed one's desired speed out of the box is the way to go if money is no object. But with pontoons in particular, the cost difference between one that will do 25 MPH out of the box, and one that will do 50 MPH is huge. Far more than buying say a Mustang with a 6 cylinder versus a supercharged V8. I haven't priced them out, but I'm thinking a good example would be going from 2 25" toons and a 90 HP motor to tritoon with an ESP package, power steering and a 250 HP outboard. A huge cost difference considering someone could probably get more than the 30 MPH desired by going with two ellipticals and a 150 HP.

I know my wife would not buy your logic (unfortunately). :D
Jim R, No, I'm not buying a new boat until, at least, "Bow Thrusters" are available. LOL... Besides, I have one that does everything and more than that outlined.

The dialog was written only as a suggested courtesy for anyone considering a new boat and specs. Further, a boat is an impulse purchase to be elated with or not. The matter of prop change and etc., "may not be worth it"! (borrowed from someones earlier post) Pride of ownership is a part of society and if one can handle a boat purchase, should be ecstatic with everything expected. A boat is not food, shelter or clothing, it is recreational. The "uninformed" buyer is then vulnerable to disappointment.

I am not here to disagree, boats and automobiles are totally different, apples and oranges. The automobile analogy was only intended to demonstrate, at least, how MY mind thinks. I hate blaming someone else for my lack of self accountability, perceived expectations and failure to preform due diligence.

Another point, residual value on a clean, well cared for, unique or special boat, may have a lower percentage of depreciation than the run of the mill, plain vanilla.

BTW, how long have you been married ? LOL

Back