Props, Yamaha vs merc?

Wild and Free

Reaction score
After reading and talking and researching for many months about which size prop would be best for my rig in the signature below, I have narrowed it down to a SS 3 blade14 1/2 x 15 but am torn between the Yamaha Reliance or the Merc Vengeance. I want to up my rpm range,currently On my yama 150 I have a yamaha 15 x 15 stainless now and am running in the 5500 range and would like to get it up to at least 5700-5800. speed is secondary.

The mercs are more common and less pricey and the dealers tend to lean towards them I would suppose because the Yamaha reliance props are fairly new on the scene and more pricey.

What would you all reccomend? I realize a prop adapter for the merc would be needed as well adding to the price if choosing a merc prop which would bring the prices closer together.

Also where is a good place online for great prop prices? I have searched for hours and find mercs but the reliances are all but nonexistant on any site other than yamaha dealer sites and average about 200 bucks more than mercs..

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that Yamaha props are still made by "Precision Propellers" They make the Turbo and Silletto brands of props. Do a search for "Turbo Props". Call them they are really helpful.

Thanks I will look into the company. I forgot the merc inertia also will look into them.

Wild & Free, I have a 15 1/4 X 15 on my RL2550, triples with strakes. Trimmed out with 25 gallons of gas and two people in not too smooth water, it will pull 6000. Prop is a no-name that was on the boat when I bought it. Hope this helps. Steve

What do you have for an engine?

I run the Merc Enertia 15x15 and its a strong runner. It pulls skiiers and tubers hard and the top end can't be beat. I run a 150 Merc Optimax Pro XS which is a HO of a 150 and I run in the low 40's top end on my 2275 RCW with lifting strakes. I love this prop. Hole shot is good. Top end is blisterin. I have the 2 32" eliptical tubes and it run awesome.

Hope this helps

Todd

I run the Merc Enertia 15x15 and its a strong runner. It pulls skiiers and tubers hard and the top end can't be beat. I run a 150 Merc Optimax Pro XS which is a HO of a 150 and I run in the low 40's top end on my 2275 RCW with lifting strakes. I love this prop. Hole shot is good. Top end is blisterin. I have the 2 32" eliptical tubes and it run awesome.

Hope this helps

Todd
Thanks for the reply, You have a considerably lighter rig than mine which explains the difference. I have the esp with 60 gallon fuel tank. So Thats why I need to go down to a 14.5 X 15 range.

After researching and making calls for long enough I bought a Yamaha Reliance 14.5 X 15 prop from wholesaleoutboards.com. Best price I could find and free shipping. $404. Now to wait for 6-7 months to see if it is an improvement over what I have now. :rolleyes:

Back