Pulling tubes from pylon

Roachjwr

Reaction score
I’m a new owner of an older Bennington. I bought a 2009 2275 RLI Tritoon with the Elliptical Sport Package 150 Yamaha. although I’ve owned boats for 50 years, this is my first pontoon. This boat has a telescoping pylon in the rear sun deck That appears to be welded onto the center pontoon. It looks mighty sturdy. I can’t find any info on weight limits for this setup. Can I pull a tube with two adults and a small child from the pylon?

The best I can say is, "I do." I have the same set up on my 2013 2575 RL Triton. I've pulled numerous people of various sizes throughout the years. There is a label on the pylon, but haven't looked at in years, not sure if it lists capacity or not. I'll be on the boat later, I'll check and post back later if there was any pertinent information listed.

I would be surprised if the pylon was welded. Others have reported it frozen due to lack of use. I don’t think the pylon can be used for pulling a tube, especially three people if you are going to make hard turns to give them a wild ride.

You can contact Bennington with the link below .Be sure to include your Hull ID .

I’ve never heard of them being welded into place. They spin/lock into a bracket. Many have posted about them being seized up in place on older boats. Maybe that is how your’s is? Can you actually see welds securing it to boat?

They are very sturdy if the normal factory set up. That said, no idea what their weight and tension rating is. We have a Turbo Swing specifically to cover ALL our water sport needs - including 3-4 person tubing.

As other have said, it's likely simply stuck.
Bennington has never welded them.

I would guess the official answer is 'no' on a 3 person tube. However I have never seen a pylon damaged from 'over use'. The only ones I've seen wrecked are the ski/tow bar style, and in both instances the people were abusing it. Getting a bunch of slack and not letting off throttle and bam. In that instance something has got to give. Some people could wreck an anvil I tell you.
Use even a small portion of common sense and I am confident that you will be fine.

I’ve got a one piece pylon which is good for all tow sports. However, you mentioned a telescoping pylon, which sounds different. Do you have a picture?

I was told the Sky Pylon that came with my 2021 was rated at 2.500 pounds. I have pulled tubes with 3 adults - no issues. Yes, I sometimes need gloves and/or an extra set of hands plus spray lubricant to get it twisted and pulled out of the transom mount. Mine is also one piece, I have never heard of / seen a telescoping version - I am sure that would have to have a much lower towing capacity.

The first picture is of the base of the pylon right in front of the motor. It appears that it is bolted to a cross member that is welded into the center pontoon. The second picture is the top. It pulls up about 6 inches and twist locks in place. When in the down position the top of the tow bar is just below the surface of the sun deck. Does this help any? It seems pretty sturdy to me.

Attachments

• F4077B1C-B71F-473F-9B41-7E4913CBD514.jpeg
    F4077B1C-B71F-473F-9B41-7E4913CBD514.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 38F161B8-81BB-4B6C-B7CB-D1928BD617F6.png
    38F161B8-81BB-4B6C-B7CB-D1928BD617F6.png
    438.9 KB · Views: 43
We used the pylon in our old boat to tow everything! No problems!

Bennington did have a telescoping pylon which would retract below flush with sundeck when not in use.

Bennington did have a telescoping pylon which would retract below flush with sundeck when not in use.
That’s what I have. See pictures posted above. It seems to be plenlty sturdy.

That’s what I have. See pictures posted above. It seems to be plenlty sturdy.
Roachjwr, love the color scheme of your boat. That's identical to my first Bennington. We called Old Yeller. I still see her out on our lake ever so often. Nothing better than your first love.

Roachjwr, love the color scheme of your boat. That's identical to my first Bennington. We called Old Yeller. I still see her out on our lake ever so often. Nothing better than your first love.
Bennington aughta bring back that Yellow! That would really pop with blackout rails.

That appears to be a solid one piece pylon that raises up/telescopes. I think you’re good to go. Have fun and give those riders a thrill!

Back