Purchasing 2021 22 SVSR

HavasuQbn

Reaction score
Hello all, I am in the middle of finalizing the purchase of a 2021 22 SVSR. I upgraded to the Yamaha vf200xa SHO VMAX. I was told by the salesman that many people to not pick this motor because it is very loud over the F200XB. I am hoping to get some opinions in regards to that on this forum. Also to here some performance and MPH figures as well. Also the boat comes with the 21 gallon transom tank that has me worried, can you get a larger option? Any input on this set up is appreciated. Thank you!

Congratulations as you finish up the details of your purchase. I cannot speak too much to the Yamaha motor difference in sound - Mercury here. I can appreciate it likely being a little louder since it is the performance motor. I’ve heard both motors are great.

If you are not worried about top end performance, the F200 sound reliable and will be better on fuel (lighter 4 cyl motor). The Vmax looks much better, and should deliver both better hole shot and top end speed due to gearing, 6 cyl., displacement, etc... I will let the Yamaha folks add in with performance numbers front their personal experience. However, it will drink more fuel...

I can speak to the fuel tank. I have a 33 gallon tank on my 24’ SSBXP SPS 200 Mercury Verado Pro. I have the performance version of the Mercury 200 HP (6 cyl, supercharger, different gearing, etc). I find my 33 gallon tank LACKING.

You will go through gas FAST when at WOT, or cruising at a good speed under load. If tubing teens and adults (which we do A LOT), you go through gas fast. Based on our uses, I’d go with a larger tank than our 33 gallons if I could. I would not go smaller than ours with our HP or above. Just too much refueling IMO.

The f200 will do better on fuel than the VMAX. I don‘t believe you can change the fuel tank out on it now, and have not heard of good alternatives for adding fuel capacity. I think you are stuck with what it as is, and would need to refuel more often. Of course, slow cruising wont use up much gas, so if that is what you will do, you can stretch 21 gallons out more.

I would consider sticking with a 4 cylinder in VF175 or F200. If you're going to pay the weight, size, and price penalty of the 6 cylinder then you might as well go with a 250 or 300 IMO(I understand that is not an option for your hull).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Max HP on my hull is rated at 200HP. I did received clarification with my SPS Tritoon package the fuel tank is increased to 32 Gallons thankfully. Hopefully I will get some replies on performance numbers and sound. Thanks all, I appreciate your feed back!!

Thanks for the replies. Max HP on my hull is rated at 200HP. I did received clarification with my SPS Tritoon package the fuel tank is increased to 32 Gallons thankfully. Hopefully I will get some replies on performance numbers and sound. Thanks all, I appreciate your feed back!!
That’s what we have. It works for our 200HP. I’d gladly take more fuel capacity, but no less. Not sure how well this translates to your Yamaha vs. our Merc. With our 200 HP Merc V-Pro (more like the Vmax), we were 44 mph on gps at WOT with a light load prior to adding Sea Legs. At the same time, it had phenomenal hole shot too. I’d assume you’d be looking at something very similar with the VMAX, and frankly not too far off, with the f200.

I've been checking the Yamaha Performance Bulletins for 22-23' tritoons equipped with the F200 and VF200, and here's what I found:

VF200, most common prop used is the Saltwater II 15.75x15
Top speeds in the 42-47 MPH range

F200, most common prop used is the Reliance SDS 14.5x15
Top speeds in the 38-41 MPH range

As others have stated, the F200 will be a more fuel efficient while having plenty of power for decent top speeds with a modest group on board, while the VF200 will have the extra torque to turn a slightly larger prop and push the top speed a little higher, even with a decent amount of people on board.

If you feel that the F200 will provide the top speed range you are looking for if you regularly have 1-4 people riding (expect noticeably lower top speeds with more than that number of people), then it may be a good cost compromise to save the money versus the VF200, then erase that savings (haha) by going with the 22SVSR optional 46gal fuel tank:

22SVSR Fuel Tank Option.png

Here are the MSRP price comparisons for the 22SVSR with the SPS and either the VF200 or the F200+fuel tank option (no other options selected):

4.2L - $44,693
2.8L + 46gal - $44,363

If you want to go all-in with the VF200 + 46gal tank, then MSRP is at $45,972 (again, no other options selected).

Thank you DejaWiz! Great insight, I'm gonna stick with the bigger motor because I am sure this boat will be full most of the time and I'll need the extra power. I'm gonna reach out about the larger tank. Thanks again!

I went with the VF200 on my recent 23 LSB build because I wanted the option for more power if 200hp ended up not being enough. Since Nizpro makes an afforded flash to this motor I went with it. The VF175 and F200 are basically tapped out.
it’ was a costly upgrade that I won’t know if it pays off till I get it!

Last edited:
I went with the VF200 on my recent 23 LSB build because I wanted the option for more power if 200hp ended up not being enough.
Welcome and give us a rundown on your new Benny!

Welcome and give us a rundown on your new Benny!
Thanks!
Here is my 2021 23LSB, built with the help of everyone on here! I should be getting it in a month (3/22 build) or so then I have a bunch of 12v/stereo work to do on it. The pic is from another dealer that inspired the colors I picked.

Attachments

• 2FC81FDE-D1A0-4BE1-A495-1615A65C0B7A.png
    2FC81FDE-D1A0-4BE1-A495-1615A65C0B7A.png
    648.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 04488DCF-979F-4D34-A4D3-84E51DC99B45.jpeg
    04488DCF-979F-4D34-A4D3-84E51DC99B45.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 75
Thanks!
Here is my 2021 23LSB, built with the help of everyone on here! I should be getting it in a month (3/22 build) or so then I have a bunch of 12v/stereo work to do on it. The pic is from another dealer that inspired the colors I picked.
Looks like a really nice build. Where did you find the picture of your color choices? Kind of looks like Miller. You also got the easy loader for your trailer? Does your dealer carry and install these? Have you seen them in action? What is your thought on these? Thanks.

Hello all, I am in the middle of finalizing the purchase of a 2021 22 SVSR. I upgraded to the Yamaha vf200xa SHO VMAX. I was told by the salesman that many people to not pick this motor because it is very loud over the F200XB. I am hoping to get some opinions in regards to that on this forum. Also to here some performance and MPH figures as well. Also the boat comes with the 21 gallon transom tank that has me worried, can you get a larger option? Any input on this set up is appreciated. Thank you!
I just bought a 2021 22 SVSR. Can't give you advice on the engine (I got the Mercury 150) but if you're putting the 200 on there you must have SPS which should come with a 32G tank, mine did anyway. Congrats on the new ride!

Yeah the pic is from Miller, but I’m way out in the NW.
On the Trailer I don’t know much about it other than it was sold as being custom built for the boat by Bennington? It was an upgrade,but we will be towing it for few long runs per year so I felt it was worth it. Looks like this.

Attachments

• A73E103C-73E5-49D3-8F2E-46B967063F3F.jpeg
    A73E103C-73E5-49D3-8F2E-46B967063F3F.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 23CECBBA-FDD7-49F7-8B60-423C5056E5A5.jpeg
    23CECBBA-FDD7-49F7-8B60-423C5056E5A5.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I just bought a 2021 22 SVSR. Can't give you advice on the engine (I got the Mercury 150) but if you're putting the 200 on there you must have SPS which should come with a 32G tank, mine did anyway. Congrats on the new ride!
Sorry, kinda high jacked your post! Didn’t mean too!
I actually have the SPS+.

Looks like a great build!!!

Yeah the pic is from Miller, but I’m way out in the NW.
On the Trailer I don’t know much about it other than it was sold as being custom built for the boat by Bennington? It was an upgrade,but we will be towing it for few long runs per year so I felt it was worth it. Looks like this.
Really nice looking boat. You will be very happy with this for years to come.

Thanks!
What stereo stuff you doing? More speakers? A sub? Looking at upgrading stereo at some point too.

Boat rides aren't particularly thrilling below 40mph in my opinion, but not everyone cares. For me I make LOOOONG milk runs down the river (sometimes burning 40 gallons per trip) so top speed is a major consideration just getting to points B and C.

I think you will be very happy with the V6! The only bummer is that the SHO's aren't typically available with the Digital controls whereas the F200 2.8L is.

Back