R vs G

Karenlowedirect

Reaction score
We have narrowed our search to a Bennington tritoon- would appreciate your thoughts on the R vs the G models. Looks like approx $10k diff in price.... Thx!

We chose an R because we preferred the open stern look of an RCW

Also when we ordered some things that were optional on a G were standard on an R .

You will be very happy which ever you choose 

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard Karen!

While i really can't offer much advice for you, i wanted to warn you that the folks on here are really good at spending other peoples money, so take that into consideration! :D

Enjoy your new boat, put up some pics when you get it, and enjoy the club!

Welcome!

We've had the R for 3 seasons and love it. In terms of structure and construction both are the same high quality and very stout.

As mentioned if you tick off enough things on the G option sheet you're in R territory pretty quickly. Sometimes when it's already on the lot you can negotiate on an R for equal or less than an ordered G. I don't know where you're located, but there are good deals to be had at the boat shows with the volume dealers as they receive special time limited deals from Bennington and the engine manufacturers.

Both lines are fantastic boats (as well as the S) you'd enjoy for years to come, so good luck.

Both are Benningtons so you are on the right track.  We had built a G and knew we would be very happy with it but once the dealer showed us an R that was a leftover and we could get a deal on the choice was easy.  If I had to spend the money on 2016 G vs 2016 R and looking at the cost not sure what I would do

I went with a fully loaded G. Never once did I wish I had a R. Now, would I like to have an R? Of course I would. But once I had the G I did not have buyers remorse. No matter what you buy, S, G, R, or Q. You'll be happy, and you will get compliments. After all it's a Bennington.

I cant say as I know what the actual difference is between the two as we are new Bennington owners also. I can tell you we have a "R" and love it. Good luck with your decision. I am sure you will be happy with whatever you choose as long as it's a Benny.

Bennington 

The Gold Standard Of Pontoons 

Welcome To The Bennington Family 

Good Luck On Your Decision 

127878027.jpg

Summer Is Near :)

Difference between the G/R are all above the deck. They are completely the same from the deck down. Its bells and whistles. We went with the G. I like the styling of the R better but at the end of the day the cash we saved by going with the G will be spent on something else. Trailer, motor, etc...

No right or wrong answer to this. Spend plenty of time looking over both and decide what's best for you. Other than that I would say GO BIG on the MOTOR as always. There's no replacement for displacement.

Good luck!

Marlon

Thanks all. What is a "fast back" ? Sorry for the newbie question ⛵
Fastback just has the chrome railing in the rear. The fence paneling starts to taper off past mid ship. Open railing after that. I like the looks of it but I could just see stuff blowing thru the open railing.

Do yourself a favor and look over Bennington's website good. The Fastback is shown with the other styles as well. Might get a better understanding of what I'm talking about "open rails".

GL!

We have an open stern and never lost anything .

Here is a factory pic and a pic at our old marina .

gallery_4015_476_66777.jpg

gallery_4015_351_860341.jpg

That is one sweet looking boat Jack, can you post a picture with the bimini opened up

That is one sweet looking boat Jack, can you post a picture with the bimini opened up
Thanks Mark , but we dont use it .It has only been opened one time ,just to see how it works ..

I used to have a pic of a black one ,I'll see if I can find it 

Found a couple ,( not mine ) 

digi52509117.jpg

I really like the open rail look. The dealer provided us with a Q while waiting on our boat as a loaner and it had the open rail. For us it was not a option due to the fact of our littlest one while sitting on the rear lounger actually almost fell right through.

I had thought I wanted an R, or possibly a G. Then we went to a boat show and our dealer had a loaded 2016 21 SLX on display. The lure of "no wait", the features & options on the SLX, and the quality of anything Bennington builds made us very happy to save and "settle" for our boat. We could not be happier, and neither could my wallet!

As most have said, no matter what you buy you will be happy. And that's what matters!

If getting the R means you have to skimp on other options (like getting a lesser hull, or less of other options and upgrades), then I would do what Rockie did and get fully loaded G, with an ESP hull, all the options and a big motor.

He had one sweet Benny.  Considering cost and features, his boat is exactly what I would get if I could go back and do a "do over". 

If you have money to burn, definitely get the R.

Is there a particular model you are considering? For me, I knew I wanted the GSR or RSR floor plan. I wanted seating all the way around. I did not want rear recliners. I have two young grandsons. Hence, it was an easy choice for me. The GSR offered a much better floor plan for my needs as opposed to the RSR.

I wanted more open deck space in front of the helm and it is the perfect place for the coolers. On the port side I got the extra chair and it doesn't interfere with some one reclining on the port couch. It gave more deck space for the kids. The middle walk through is wider. Since I ordered it to my specs, I got a lot of the upgraded items. With that said, I got an OK price. If I had waited for winter, I could have gotten a better price on an existing boat still on the lot. However, it would have been a compromise and the money I saved would be outweighed by not getting exactly what I wanted.

As an aside, it is in the 80's here. I'm going boating. :D

Cheers, Steve

Mark ,I found the other pics ,again not mine .They were sent to me by another forum member ( who's screen name I can't recall ,sorry  :wub: ) while mine was waiting for spring at the dealer .

Back