R23 ski pylon

Cwright

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a limit on these things? My last boat had a tow bar with a sticker stating it was for “normal water skiing activities “ only. Not rated for towing tubes. I ignored it and actually bent its mounting bracket pulling a tube.
I have a R23SB (ESP) on order with the tow pylon. Hoping it is up for anything I want to tow.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a limit on these things? My last boat had a tow bar with a sticker stating it was for “normal water skiing activities “ only. Not rated for towing tubes. I ignored it and actually bent its mounting bracket pulling a tube.
I have a R23SB (ESP) on order with the tow pylon. Hoping it is up for anything I want to tow.
Thanks!

I have heard tthe pylons can handle much more than the tow bars, but I have no specific information or data to that affect. We did a Turbo Swing on our 2017 to avoid the possibility of exactly what you mentioned above about your older tow bar bending. Our 2017 model didn’t have a pylon option, and the Turbo Swing was the only option that actually is rated for pulling tubes, or multiple tubes as opposed to the tow bars which were not. I think you’ll be fine with the pylon.

I have heard tthe pylons can handle much more than the tow bars, but I have no specific information or data to that affect. We did a Turbo Swing on our 2017 to avoid the possibility of exactly what you mentioned above about your older tow bar bending. Our 2017 model didn’t have a pylon option, and the Turbo Swing was the only option that actually is rated for pulling tubes, or multiple tubes as opposed to the tow bars which were not. I think you’ll be fine with the pylon.
Thanks for the reply. The turbo swing is nice. That’s what I ended up putting in the old boat. Only problem I had was the hookup is kind of low and I adjusted it up all that was possible. Part of the problem was the wake behind that was pretty nasty and the rope stayed hung in the water. The pylon that comes with the R23 looks pretty robust. Hopefully it will handle a load

I think it will, they look very robust. If ours had come with a pylon option, we wouldn’t have bothered with the Turbo Swing.

I think it will, they look very robust. If ours had come with a pylon option, we wouldn’t have bothered with the Turbo Swing.
My 2020 23RFBA has the aluminum pylon and it seems pretty stout. My dealer said he had only seen a single issue when three adults submarined a tube.

I have the pylon on my 2020 G25. It's very sturdy, I wouldn't be concerned towing anyone, multiple tubes no problem. As Baja mentioned, the pole is very heavy. Do not drop it on the vinyl floor or worse your foot!

I've got the pylon on my R25. It is the "fixed type", that is, it does not retract down. No problem pulling large tubes with 3 or 4 people on it, including adults. Haven't tried pulling two smaller tubes, but my guess is that it'd be no problem.

I've got the pylon on my R25. It is the "fixed type", that is, it does not retract down. No problem pulling large tubes with 3 or 4 people on it, including adults. Haven't tried pulling two smaller tubes, but my guess is that it'd be no problem.
Unishot - have you had any issues with the tow rope not clearing the engine or rubbing against the Cowl due to a lack of clearance?

Unishot - have you had any issues with the tow rope not clearing the engine or rubbing against the Cowl due to a lack of clearance?
Need to make sure you get the proper length pole. They tried to give me the 46” originally and it rubbed my cowling. Swapped for a 52” and it’s fine.

Need to make sure you get the proper length pole. They tried to give me the 46” originally and it rubbed my cowling. Swapped for a 52” and it’s fine.
Good point, checked my order - 54". I was at the dealer this last weekend, they had several L and R 25's with 300 - 400 hp engines - it was hard to see the rope clearing these mighty beasts.

I'm not saying it will clear the new V8's, I only have a V6, but mine does clear by plenty when pulling a tube. The bow rises on take off and the stern lowers which helps, then going down the lake they still don't sit livel like they do on the trailer.

I had a 46" on my 2275 RCW with a 200 SHO, never a problem, got the 52" on my 2275 RCW Sport Tower with a 250 SHO, also no problem, keep in mind the motor size is exactly the same between the two. You won't have any issues.

We always held the tow line up and away from motor until taut. Once under load never once did it touch.

Back