R23 / Yamaha 300/ ESP

Yup, I'd be a little disappointed as well. Heck, my GCW 2574 ESP w/250 HP mounted in the top hole (lowest position) will do 40 MPH spinning a 15.6X13P @ 6600 RPM and takes the corners very aggressively. That said, congratulations on your new Benny! Post some pictures so we can all gaze lovingly at her... ;)

I have R23 with Yamaha 300 and spin a SW 17 and top speed is always between 45 and 48. I could probably get more if raised the motor.

Yup, I'd be a little disappointed as well. Heck, my GCW 2574 ESP w/250 HP mounted in the top hole (lowest position) will do 40 MPH spinning a 15.6X13P @ 6600 RPM and takes the corners very aggressively. That said, congratulations on your new Benny! Post some pictures so we can all gaze lovingly at her... ;)
06C29FBE-C546-4E2E-8323-8DF20382C1E9.jpeg
Only one I managed to get yesterday

She's a beauty!

I think there are some things to consider here:

1) boat probably rides a little more level as opposed to stern-heavy like mine, so prop will be up closer to the surface of the water

2) 4-blade will be more stern-lifting

3) ESP buoyancy also contributing to higher stern

4) motor height

All of these are probably great for RPM and top speed, but could contribute to ventilation in turns. Also depending on your PT model (OFS vs OFX) it could be more stern lifting.

Lowering the motor would help, but of course you lose RPM and top speed. A 3-blade with more rake such as an Enertia prop would be more bow-lifting and keep that tail lower in the water. Also assuming you are trimming down when whipping the boat around?

I think there are some things to consider here:

1) boat probably rides a little more level as opposed to stern-heavy like mine, so prop will be up closer to the surface of the water

2) 4-blade will be more stern-lifting

3) ESP buoyancy also contributing to higher stern

4) motor height

All of these are probably great for RPM and top speed, but could contribute to ventilation in turns. Also depending on your PT model (OFS vs OFX) it could be more stern lifting.

Lowering the motor would help, but of course you lose RPM and top speed. A 3-blade with more rake such as an Enertia prop would be more bow-lifting and keep that tail lower in the water. Also assuming you are trimming down when whipping the boat around?
Yes trimming down to turn. Really can’t trim much even going straight because it starts to cavitate. The PT is an OFS

Your boat is very sharp! Once you fine tune the performance, you’ll have the complete package there. Love the looks of it!!!

Yes trimming down to turn. Really can’t trim much even going straight because it starts to cavitate. The PT is an OFS
I believe the OFS has more lift than the OFX which has more swept rake, so I think that's also a contributing factor.

I think a swap to a 3-blade will help but only if the diameter is same or close to the 4-blade. Certainly worth trying given your displeasure with the current prop - hopefully your dealer is willing to swap in another cost free or minimal cost.

The fact that you can't trim up much now tells me you're right on the edge with that setup. Prop first then lower motor second would be my recommendation.

I believe the OFS has more lift than the OFX which has more swept rake, so I think that's also a contributing factor.

I think a swap to a 3-blade will help but only if the diameter is same or close to the 4-blade. Certainly worth trying given your displeasure with the current prop - hopefully your dealer is willing to swap in another cost free or minimal cost.

The fact that you can't trim up much now tells me you're right on the edge with that setup. Prop first then lower motor second would be my recommendation.
Thanks for the input! Yes dealer has been great so far. They were open and honest with the fact that they don’t sell many “R” models or ESP Hulls so their experience setting them up is limited. As long as I don’t damage the PT they’ll work with me I believe.

Thanks for the input! Yes dealer has been great so far. They were open and honest with the fact that they don’t sell many “R” models or ESP Hulls so their experience setting them up is limited. As long as I don’t damage the PT they’ll work with me I believe.
Cwright,
Do you happened to be located in South Louisiana? Saw a boat exactly like that this weekend. Beautiful boat btw!
I'll be following this thread as well.
I just got a "new to me" R25 with a 250SHO/ ESP. Luckily I have a dealer / mechanic nearby who can flash it with the NIZPRO and make the 332HP.
I can only hit 36 to 38mph, and that's turning a 15x17 Voyager prop @ 5700rpm.
I'll wait till after the flash to see where I'm at. A local guy that's been doing props for close to 30 years recommended a 4 blade for mine since it's so heavy. However, after reading all this it looks like I need to stay away from it. Yamaha also just released the new SWS II HP prop.

Cwright,
Do you happened to be located in South Louisiana? Saw a boat exactly like that this weekend. Beautiful boat btw!
I'll be following this thread as well.
I just got a "new to me" R25 with a 250SHO/ ESP. Luckily I have a dealer / mechanic nearby who can flash it with the NIZPRO and make the 332HP.
I can only hit 36 to 38mph, and that's turning a 15x17 Voyager prop @ 5700rpm.
I'll wait till after the flash to see where I'm at. A local guy that's been doing props for close to 30 years recommended a 4 blade for mine since it's so heavy. However, after reading all this it looks like I need to stay away from it. Yamaha also just released the new SWS II HP prop.
I’m in South Arkansas. Bought the boat from Bayou Outdoors in Bossier. Long story but I ordered two boats the same color. They kept making the seats wrong (not how I ordered) when the second boat came in also wrong, I worked things out with the dealer and bought the first one. Could be the second boat you saw but it seems to be a popular color so there’s probably more. I got some good advice here on my issue so I’m going try the prop and then maybe move the motor. I hated to dictate the prop to the dealer in the beginning but I guess I should have. Good luck and thanks!

I still haven't had it in the water yet, our lake is at winter level and I don't know it well enough to chance hitting something, it will probably be about 2 weeks before we put it in.
Gotcha. I ask because the 15-1/2x17 wasn’t available but the 16 was so I’ll have it next week. Based on the numbers some folks here are posting I may be better off with the 16 anyway. They are saying “lightly loaded” they are turning just under max RPM. I likely will have quite a few peeps with me most of the time. I’ll let you know.

Didn't really turn at speed, yes esp, probably going to order a 15.5 17p. I have a 14.25 18p and it will get 47mph at 5500 rpm but feels a bit sluggish.

Back