R23 / Yamaha 300/ ESP

Didn't really turn at speed, yes esp, probably going to order a 15.5 17p. I have a 14.25 18p and it will get 47mph at 5500 rpm but feels a bit sluggish.
I’ve got a 15.5 x17 solas (copy of the sws II) you can try if you’d like. I’m in Greenville and think your around here seeing as you went to the keowee boat show.

I'm not impressed with the new prop, 42 mph@5900 rpm
Odd that’s the numbers I got with the 4 blade 15. Me and the wife aboard (we’re both lightweights), a small dog, about 40 gallons of fuel, and calm waters 6000-6100 rpm- 42 mph. I guess I’ll go ahead and try the SW2 16 since I already have it. Seems like I surely will a change. ‍Thanks for the info

What kind of numbers do you get with the solas
49.6 at around 5500 with me, my daughters, and a yeti 110. So I figure it would run over 50 with a light load. I’m back to a 16 SWS as we do a lot of water sports and it has a little more punch. Plus I really like the sds hub

Odd that’s the numbers I got with the 4 blade 15. Me and the wife aboard (we’re both lightweights), a small dog, about 40 gallons of fuel, and calm waters 6000-6100 rpm- 42 mph. I guess I’ll go ahead and try the SW2 16 since I already have it. Seems like I surely will a change. ‍Thanks for the info
What hole is your motor mounted in?

Didn't really turn at speed, yes esp, probably going to order a 15.5 17p. I have a 14.25 18p and it will get 47mph at 5500 rpm but feels a bit sluggish.
Good info to hear.
Last time I was out I was able to hit 38 @ 5700 or so. Not liking it either and I also have the 15 17p. Tomorrow I'm dropping off my ECU to get the Nizpro 332 tune loaded up. Will see how this prop acts with it this weekend if the weather holds out.
A buddy I worked with has a boat just like mine, he ran a 15.25 x 15p and got 45. His current one is a 14.75 x 17p and it hits 50.

Tried out the 15-1/2x16 SWS2 today. Performance was better than the 4blade power tech but still not quite where I would like it. WOT fully trimmed, me the wife and a pup, about 35 gallons of fuel, 6000 rpm-45 mph. Still a little cavitation on tight turns. I’m ok with mid 40s speed but I’d really like it to grip better in the turns. Motor is mounted in second hole and it looks like my anti-cavitation plate is very slightly above the bottom of the center toon. Could this be contributing to the slippage? Should I drop the motor to the first hole? Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Tried out the 15-1/2x16 SWS2 today. Performance was better than the 4blade power tech but still not quite where I would like it. WOT fully trimmed, me the wife and a pup, about 35 gallons of fuel, 6000 rpm-45 mph. Still a little cavitation on tight turns. I’m ok with mid 40s speed but I’d really like it to grip better in the turns. Motor is mounted in second hole and it looks like my anti-cavitation plate is very slightly above the bottom of the center toon. Could this be contributing to the slippage? Should I drop the motor to the first hole? Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

You're not going to be able to get it all on your boat - tradeoffs. Good turning requires more blade area (fatter ears or more blades) which comes at the expense of top speed and efficiency. You could throw a big Enertia ECO and drop motor to the lowest mounting hole and have that thing stick like glue, but run low 40's. Or hit high 40's with a regular Enertia in motor hole 2 or 3, but ventilate a little on turns. The SWS2 seem to be a decent compromise.

As much as I have swapped props (4 of them and three hub systems) and mounting heights eventually it became clear that I was hitting diminishing returns. You have some good numbers and a little more testing is probably warranted, but I think you're very close to the best you can get.

Thanks in advance.
Another guy here who has changed props and mounting heights over and over. Dropping the motor will for sure lead to better grip in turns. For me dropping the motor back to lowest (from second hole) led to the loss of 1-2 mph. Unless you’re running 400-450 Merc our hulls seem to top out around 45-50 no matter what you do.

Back