R24 Bowrider what Engine Height are you running?

PinnacleG23

Reaction score
I own a R24 bowrider with a 300 Merc. I've found this hull to be a different animal than my previous ESP. Rides very flat on the water compared, planes quickly and skims along. At times its almost too bow heavy with a bunch of people up there. Trim helps to a point.
I'm currently mounted in the top hole of the motor, but seeing a lot of spray coming off the cavitation plate, and the plate is underwater not skimming like a ski while underway. I run a 16P Enerita top speed 42 MPH. I'm getting more prop slip in the mid-range than I did on my last ESP, and wondering if raising the motor one or two holes will help.

Wondering what engine height others are running who have the Bowrider models?

I own a R24 bowrider with a 300 Merc. I've found this hull to be a different animal than my previous ESP. Rides very flat on the water compared, planes quickly and skims along. At times its almost too bow heavy with a bunch of people up there. Trim helps to a point.
I'm currently mounted in the top hole of the motor, but seeing a lot of spray coming off the cavitation plate, and the plate is underwater not skimming like a ski while underway. I run a 16P Enerita top speed 42 MPH. I'm getting more prop slip in the mid-range than I did on my last ESP, and wondering if raising the motor one or two holes will help.

Wondering what engine height others are running who have the Bowrider models?
I have the same boat< 2022 RTSB 24 with a 250 Vmax 44 mph at 5800 rpm. I've watching your post waiting for a reply from someone. I think I am going to raise it up one notch and hope to get it up to 6000rpm. I have a 15.5 X 15 SWS Yamaha prop. Hopefully you will get a reply from someone with the same setup..

I'm also considering going up one hole. I'm hoping to hear from others, but if not I plan to try it next season. Unfortunately, I need the dealer to do it, and that requires yanking it out of the water, so I'll have it done this fall. I find my ventilation plate to be submerged quite a bit while in the mid range 3500-4500, and I get significant sideways spray coming off the bottom of it. From what I read, that's a clear sign its too low. My engine is a Vereado, so it has a big beefy lower unit 4-3/4" gear case. Much more drag than the standard, so moving up one hole might have help quite a bit. I'm not looking for more top end, but rather lower slip in the midrange.

I've tried a variety of props as well, and using actually math to compare them at 500 RPM increments. By far the best overall prop is the Mercury Enerita. Its an amazing high tech prop. I've tried a Mirage Plus, very similar to the SWS, and while a good prop, the Enerita is both faster, more efficient, better acceleration and better bite. I also tried a Revolution 4, but again outperformed by the Enerita . I run a 16P Enerita. The last prop I plan to test is a 15P Power Tech OFS4. Its very similar to the Mirage Plus or SWS, but in a four blade design. I'll do that next week and let you know what I find.

If your boat is already bow heavy then raising the engine a bunch could ventilate the prop in turns.

I can't offer bowrider data but my stern-heavy 23SXP with F250 is in the #3 position and in hard turns it gets very close to sucking in air. Additionally I have an Enertia prop as well and they're considered bow lifting due to their design.

I have the feeling you'll get a nice pop in efficiency like I did with the engine raised (5-10% and a few MPH) but just be aware your turning may suffer a bit. The only other prop that I've read that will consistently outperform an Enertia in the low and mid-range is an ECO Enertia as the blade area on those is massive. It's also 16" in diameter so you probably can run it now but might encounter ventilation if the engine is raised too much. But slip % will be very low.

If your boat is already bow heavy then raising the engine a bunch could ventilate the prop in turns.

I can't offer bowrider data but my stern-heavy 23SXP with F250 is in the #3 position and in hard turns it gets very close to sucking in air. Additionally I have an Enertia prop as well and they're considered bow lifting due to their design.

I have the feeling you'll get a nice pop in efficiency like I did with the engine raised (5-10% and a few MPH) but just be aware your turning may suffer a bit. The only other prop that I've read that will consistently outperform an Enertia in the low and mid-range is an ECO Enertia as the blade area on those is massive. It's also 16" in diameter so you probably can run it now but might encounter ventilation if the engine is raised too much. But slip % will be very low.
Thx for the feedback. From what you've said, I'd think I could go up one hole without any issues. I plan to move it one hole this fall. Agree on the ECO, but unfortunately it only comes in 17 pitch and up, and from what I read its so large I'd actually need to pitch down to turn it.

I tried a OFS4 four balde, and while performance and grip were pretty good, it was no better than the Enertia, and a few ticks slower. Hoping lifting the engine a notch will improve the slip. Currently my ventilation plate is fully submerged, so I think I could move up two, but I'll start with one.

The Enertia is a great prop - not just for our pontoons but many boats. The SWS prop I have as my spare (16p) has better slip % at mid-range cruise but once I start getting up above 40mph which is where I run most of the time that smaller diameter Enertia takes over in efficiency and more WOT speed.

You could probably get away with two holes - maybe try that and go down one if ventilating. The other option is to go up one, then always wonder if you could go 2, then find it doesn't work so have to go back to one for a total of three dealer charges. In the first scenario you're only in the hole two dealer charges.

I'm also considering going up one hole. I'm hoping to hear from others, but if not I plan to try it next season. Unfortunately, I need the dealer to do it, and that requires yanking it out of the water, so I'll have it done this fall. I find my ventilation plate to be submerged quite a bit while in the mid range 3500-4500, and I get significant sideways spray coming off the bottom of it. From what I read, that's a clear sign its too low. My engine is a Vereado, so it has a big beefy lower unit 4-3/4" gear case. Much more drag than the standard, so moving up one hole might have help quite a bit. I'm not looking for more top end, but rather lower slip in the midrange.

I've tried a variety of props as well, and using actually math to compare them at 500 RPM increments. By far the best overall prop is the Mercury Enerita. Its an amazing high tech prop. I've tried a Mirage Plus, very similar to the SWS, and while a good prop, the Enerita is both faster, more efficient, better acceleration and better bite. I also tried a Revolution 4, but again outperformed by the Enerita . I run a 16P Enerita. The last prop I plan to test is a 15P Power Tech OFS4. Its very similar to the Mirage Plus or SWS, but in a four blade design. I'll do that next week and let you know what I find.
Tested the Power tech ofs4 in a 15 pitch. While a good prop, it’s slip numbers were no better than the enerita, and it was a few ticks slower. Not a bad prop, but nothing gained over the enerita and about 3mph slower at the top end, which I’d expect with a four blade.

Back