R25 - 250SHO with NIZPRO tune

SMoore

Reaction score
I searched throughout this forum and some other places and couldn't find a specific situation that I have. Figure I would post up what prop I'll end up with.
Current specs:
2014 2575RCW w/ ESP and lifting strakes
56 gallon fuel tank
Yamaha 250SHO - just had it flashed to a 332 with NIZPRO @ Outcast Marine here in South Louisiana.
Prop: 15x17 Voyager<<<<< My current problem. Also when I purchased my boat, the prop didn't have a cotter pin in it. I know they had just serviced it, but that's not something easily forgotten. I really hope a "swap" didn't occur.
Boat should be running way faster than it is. I've never heard of Voyager props, and neither has any of the prop shops around here, or the place that flashed my ECU. I guess they are made by Turning Point?
I must've had some trash or something in the analog MPH gauge, as it was way off from my Garmin GPS - fixed that this last weekend. (Haven't used the GPS much as I'm still needing to upload the maps)
Pulled up GPS on my phone - 31 with me alone, full fuel.
28 with 5 people, ice chest
23 with 10 people, 3 ice chest.
With so many options and performance bulletins this is what I'm going to try:
Current prop I've got on order is an SWS II 15.75 x 15p - Local guy with a Benny pontoon and 250sho, said he has great performance and put him in the upper 40's.
Second prop I'm picking up tomorrow is a SWSII 15.5 x 17p - Since I don't know much about my prop, and it feels like it's slipping bad, wouldn't hurt as this seems to be a common one.
Third one I'm still trying to buy from a local guy - Merc Enertia 14.5 x 17p. Saw some good numbers from a few people.
Shop that tuned my ECU mentioned I should go up to at least a 16" diameter. We shall see. If the Merc prop falls through, I'll see what else I can find. I want to at least go out with 3 props to try.
I'll get all these numbers down, then go to the local prop shop for further tinkering if needed. More importantly - I'll post up my findings! We use it mostly for cruising, and getting somewhere quick if we need too. Water sports is rare, but I can always swap the prop as we have shallow dredged area.

I searched throughout this forum and some other places and couldn't find a specific situation that I have. Figure I would post up what prop I'll end up with.
Current specs:
2014 2575RCW w/ ESP and lifting strakes
56 gallon fuel tank
Yamaha 250SHO - just had it flashed to a 332 with NIZPRO @ Outcast Marine here in South Louisiana.
Prop: 15x17 Voyager<<<<< My current problem. Also when I purchased my boat, the prop didn't have a cotter pin in it. I know they had just serviced it, but that's not something easily forgotten. I really hope a "swap" didn't occur.
Boat should be running way faster than it is. I've never heard of Voyager props, and neither has any of the prop shops around here, or the place that flashed my ECU. I guess they are made by Turning Point?
I must've had some trash or something in the analog MPH gauge, as it was way off from my Garmin GPS - fixed that this last weekend. (Haven't used the GPS much as I'm still needing to upload the maps)
Pulled up GPS on my phone - 31 with me alone, full fuel.
28 with 5 people, ice chest
23 with 10 people, 3 ice chest.
With so many options and performance bulletins this is what I'm going to try:
Current prop I've got on order is an SWS II 15.75 x 15p - Local guy with a Benny pontoon and 250sho, said he has great performance and put him in the upper 40's.
Second prop I'm picking up tomorrow is a SWSII 15.5 x 17p - Since I don't know much about my prop, and it feels like it's slipping bad, wouldn't hurt as this seems to be a common one.
Third one I'm still trying to buy from a local guy - Merc Enertia 14.5 x 17p. Saw some good numbers from a few people.
Shop that tuned my ECU mentioned I should go up to at least a 16" diameter. We shall see. If the Merc prop falls through, I'll see what else I can find. I want to at least go out with 3 props to try.
I'll get all these numbers down, then go to the local prop shop for further tinkering if needed. More importantly - I'll post up my findings! We use it mostly for cruising, and getting somewhere quick if we need too. Water sports is rare, but I can always swap the prop as we have shallow dredged area.
What RPMs were you getting with the prop that’s on there now? When they re-flashed it did they tell you what your max RPMs should be now with the new tune? I just purchased a 26 foot LXL with ESP and sealed strakes so weight and size should be very similar to yours. I have a Yamaha 300 that the dealer put the salt water series with a 17 pitch. They said they got it up to 47 mph so you may want to go with the bigger pitch prop. There are many people on here with more experience so I will let them give you recommendations. Just wanted to tell you what my experience has been so far. Good luck.

What RPMs were you getting with the prop that’s on there now? When they re-flashed it did they tell you what your max RPMs should be now with the new tune? I just purchased a 26 foot LXL with ESP and sealed strakes so weight and size should be very similar to yours. I have a Yamaha 300 that the dealer put the salt water series with a 17 pitch. They said they got it up to 47 mph so you may want to go with the bigger pitch prop. There are many people on here with more experience so I will let them give you recommendations. Just wanted to tell you what my experience has been so far. Good luck.
5850rpm with just me, 5700 with all the rest. Max RPM with flash is 6400.
I'll take all the recommendations I can get! The people who tuned the boat mentioned that having this prop (history unknown) is normally the biggest problem. I have a friend with a big bay boat, and he mentioned going to the SWSII was a night and day difference, just need them to come in!

I have a 23gsb with esp 300 Yamaha, sws2. 15. 5X16 43mph at 5900rpm, its under proped in my opinion, I've had a 14.25 x19 and get 47mph @5500 rpm. I think best prop for me will be 15.5x17 sws2, however I plan on having a boat full most of the time so I may stay with the 16p

People on my boat vary by so much. Capacity is 16, however having 10 is about he max comfort level IMO. I'm glad I'm seeing all these numbers. One prop won't be here until Wednesday, the other I'll grab tomorrow.
Probably be next weekend, or maybe Friday when I can try them out. It's bugging me so bad!

Never heard of a Voyager prop either. It sure is leading to some really poor performance numbers for you given your HP and boat.

I wouldn’t waste time on the SWSII 15p. Just too little for your HP and set up. Without testing them out, the 17p sound about right. Good luck getting the right fit for your intended uses. And if you are performance focused, the Mercury Enertia is certainly worth trying out. I have a 16p Enertia with our 200HP Mercury Verado. It is a very good performance oriented prop (You might need some sort of additional hub or something though when using it with your Yamaha).

Anyway, best of luck getting it all dialed in soon.

SMoore, you might want to reach out to Ken @ propgods.com for some advice. I'm certainly the outlier here on this board with a GSW 2574 ESP pushed by a 250 Verado spinning a 15.6X13 Enertia which results in a WOT 42 MPH @ 6200 RPM with 3/4 tank and myself. Adding more people knocks it down to around 38. I've thought many times about going to a 15P but just don't think it'd be worth it.

Thank you all for the recommendations!
I have the Mercury Enertia coming in tomorrow 14.5 x17p. @Vikingstaff you're correct about the hub kit. Very easy to install and replace if it ever spins with it's square design - no pressing needed.
The 15.75 x 15p SWSII won't be here till next week. Since I already had it ordered, figured I would try it out. If it doesn't work I'll just sell it.
Plan is to try out the Enertia on Sunday and get a baseline from a known good prop that other members have had good success with.
Depending on what happens Sunday, I'll reach out to the 15.5 x 17p SWSII that's for sale here locally and consult with Ken.

Don't count on that hub coming out easy. If I had tried to swap my Rubex out on the water I might have been in trouble - needed to use the freezer technique (1 hour) before hammering it out. I've also heard some people put the motor in reverse for a short blast. What happens with those square bores is they rotate a little and get locked in real tight. Running in reverse helps un-jam it. Just an FYI in case you change on the sandbar.

Enertia for the win - you'll get high-40's my prediction. It seems implausible that you can only max 31mph right now, that prop must be a hunk of junk!

Don't count on that hub coming out easy. If I had tried to swap my Rubex out on the water I might have been in trouble - needed to use the freezer technique (1 hour) before hammering it out. I've also heard some people put the motor in reverse for a short blast. What happens with those square bores is they rotate a little and get locked in real tight. Running in reverse helps un-jam it. Just an FYI in case you change on the sandbar.

Enertia for the win - you'll get high-40's my prediction. It seems implausible that you can only max 31mph right now, that prop must be a hunk of junk!
Thanks for the info! I'll just keep a spare prop ready to go in case that happens.
Wife changed the plans for the weekend, so we made a quick Saturday afternoon trip. Didn't have much time to mess around, however right out of the wake zone this new prop blew me away. On top immediately, and a few seconds later running 44 to 45mph @6000rpm.
2 people, ice chest, bimini's down, choppy water in the intercostal with 10mph winds.
@Potomacbassin’ you're absolutely correct, that old prop is pure trash!
I can take tight turns with no ventilation as well.
I just checked the status on the 15.75 x 15 and it's now on back order till July. I might cancel it and try the SWSII 15.5 x 17 just to see if there's any difference.
Totally different boat now! I'll have this coming weekend all to myself to really tinker around with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I'll just keep a spare prop ready to go in case that happens.
Wife changed the plans for the weekend, so we made a quick Saturday afternoon trip. Didn't have much time to mess around, however right out of the wake zone this new prop blew me away. On top immediately, and a few seconds later running 44 to 45mph @6000rpm.
2 people, ice chest, bimini's down, choppy water in the intercostal with 10mph winds.
I just checked the status on the 15.75 x 15 and it's now on back order till July. I might cancel it and try the SWSII 15.5 x 17 just to see if there's any difference.
Totally different boat now! I'll have this coming weekend all to myself to really tinker around with it.
Awesome! Feels pretty sweet doesn’t it!?! :cool:

Awesome! Feels pretty sweet doesn’t it!?! :cool:
Yes sir! Everyone that rode on it kept telling me this thing should be rolling in the 40's easily.

I think Viking and I (and others) have been very consistent in our praise for the Enertia prop - for top speed and cruising efficiency you probably won't find any more success than what you have on there now. What a SWS2 prop will provide is a little more bite and low-end efficiency, maybe better turning, but if you're not venting now that's another reason to stick with the Enertia.

At 6000 RPM your motor is very happy - yes the Nizpro raised the rev limiter but you probably won't gain much more speed with an Enertia 16. From a lot of what I've seen, a boat's max MPH is limited by HP and drag from the wetted surface of the toons, so your prop selection is about finding that speed within the manufacturer's operating range. You're there in spades, so any additional gains would come down to motor height IMO.

Great news and very happy for you, thanks for sharing the results!

Don't write off that 15.75 x 15 SWSII. I have it on my 23SLX with a 250 SHO. At first I wanted a 15.5 x 16 but the dealer (and yamaha) suggest 15.75 x 15 and I am extremely happy with the prop (47.5 @6000 rpms) and strong hole shot. The enertia, a SWSII 15.5x16 or 17 or the 15.75 x 15 - any one of those will be a big improvement over that Voyage junk.

I think Viking and I (and others) have been very consistent in our praise for the Enertia prop - for top speed and cruising efficiency you probably won't find any more success than what you have on there now. What a SWS2 prop will provide is a little more bite and low-end efficiency, maybe better turning, but if you're not venting now that's another reason to stick with the Enertia.

At 6000 RPM your motor is very happy - yes the Nizpro raised the rev limiter but you probably won't gain much more speed with an Enertia 16. From a lot of what I've seen, a boat's max MPH is limited by HP and drag from the wetted surface of the toons, so your prop selection is about finding that speed within the manufacturer's operating range. You're there in spades, so any additional gains would come down to motor height IMO.

Great news and very happy for you, thanks for sharing the results!
Totally agree. I have considered moving up the engine one slot, but since it's performing so well, I may just leave it. As always I greatly value everyone's input!
Don't write off that 15.75 x 15 SWSII. I have it on my 23SLX with a 250 SHO. At first I wanted a 15.5 x 16 but the dealer (and yamaha) suggest 15.75 x 15 and I am extremely happy with the prop (47.5 @6000 rpms) and strong hole shot. The enertia, a SWSII 15.5x16 or 17 or the 15.75 x 15 - any one of those will be a big improvement over that Voyage junk.
This weekend I'm going to pick up the SWSII 15.5 x 17 prop. Only reason being is that it's in great shape and "she" only wants 100 bucks for it! It'll probably be a full weekend of boating for me. Going out of two different areas so I'll have to wait till Sunday to try it as I can stand up at a sand bar and change the prop.
I also forgot to mention - I had a bonehead moment when installing the Enertia. It came in the mail with no hub so I sourced one from a local prop shop. It's a SOLAS kit that's brass with rubber impregnated around it. Shop owner mentioned it's better all around and prevents corrosion. He also mentioned to torque the nut to 90ft lbs...... I had questioned him a couple of times about this, however he said they need to be tight and being that he's been in business for over 30 years I figured he must know what he's talking about.
Well - unknown by me, this is a brass nut with a nyloc insert, which ended up getting the threads stripped off. It honestly looked like a normal metal nut with a zinc coating. Wanted to call the guy and give him earful but just let it go. I used the Yamaha nut, and also used the cotter pin as a redundancy in case the tabs failed.
Will update on Sunday!

Goes without saying hopefully the SWS comes with the thrust washer, it's different than ones supplied for your Enertia prop. And if it's the old SDS-style hub there is a keyed spacer on the aft side of the prop which is critical to the design working.

Good luck and can't wait to see your results!

Back