Rain leaking in under the side fence

Black Pearl

Reaction score
The cover on our 2011 2550 RCL snaps onto the upper part of the side fences, allowing rain to roll down the fence, and then into the space between the bottom of the fence and the floor/deck, and soak the carpet. Its especially bad around the port-side access gate. There is a quarter- to half-inch gap between the bottom of the side fence, and the side rub rail (deck) of the boat. See attached photo. Prevailing winds also blow from the bow, off the port side, raining onto the port side most of the time, where the access gate has the largest gap. Water comes in, and wets half of the interior carpet down towards the back of the boat. I am sure the carpet under the many furniture pieces is not drying out, creating a potential mold issue down the road.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or a similar problem?

A solution seems to be a new cover that goes all of the way down to the rub rail, so the rain gets funneled over the the rub rail, and down, with no chance to get into the space between the fence and floor.

Any other thoughts?

Any suggestion on where I can get such a cover? I like the look of the snap cover that comes with the boat, but need one that goes down to the floor/rub rail so it stays dry. There are generic covers that are essentially a big bag and cover all of the way around, and use a drawstring. That would work (be effective), but would not look as good as the OEM cover with snaps.

Bennington Representative - any chance we could swap out our existing cover for one that keeps the boat dry? We've been really happy with our Benny, but this issue is a huge pain in the rear.

BP

benny.JPG

Hi Black Pearl,

Sorry to hear about the rain issue. You definately want the ventilation that the spacers provide, even the "gap" under the gates. That being said, we have seen customers add "wings" to an existing playpen cover, extending the canvas from the existing side position all the way to the deck trim. A local canvas shop can do this for you. Your Bennington dealer can order add'l yards of material for you so it matches. Good luck with the project. TB

Black Pearl, i think you'll find that your playpen cover is designed to keep dirt and moderate rainfall off your boat, and not to be a 'sealed' cover.

This is how all standard pontoon covers are made, as sealing the boat most often would create more problems with mold. This is why there are gaps at the bottom and vents at the pole holders.

I don't like leaving my boat out in the elements, sun, rain, snow, etc. And i realize there is only so much protection any cover can provide, my solution, bought on of those 'portable' garages, small price to pay to protect my investment and it does the job well.

I'm sure there are other options, but that one works for me :)

Canvas shops can do amazing things. What about an extra piece that zips to the playpen cover then snaps down at the rub rail.

A door for the door that can be removed during hauling

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a new cover made for our other pontoon. It covers to below the deck and is waterproof and trailerable. At each support pole there is a vent. It has worked very well. It is well made, expensive and heavy. It is made in two pieces with a zipper that goes from side gate to side gate so you can take it apart to store. The Sailor Tailor in Bellbrook OH made it last year. The snaps are a work of art. The boat is bone dry when you remove the cover. it has two rows of snaps so it is easy to attach with the boat in the water. When you trailer, you snap the other row and it locks the cover 100% down.

We had a new cover made for our other pontoon. It covers to below the deck and is waterproof and trailerable. At each support pole there is a vent. It has worked very well. It is well made, expensive and heavy. It is made in two pieces with a zipper that goes from side gate to side gate so you can take it apart to store. The Sailor Tailor in Bellbrook OH made it last year. The snaps are a work of art. The boat is bone dry when you remove the cover. it has two rows of snaps so it is easy to attach with the boat in the water. When you trailer, you snap the other row and it locks the cover 100% down.
Please post some pictures, your cover sounds deluxe!

Please post some pictures, your cover sounds deluxe!
The first pic shows the zipper that attaches the bow and stern sections of the cover together. Across the top of the cover is a flap that covers the zipper for water tightness. The poles go in "witches hats", looks strange but they really work. You can get the plastic washers that the pole tip does though but they are not water tight and make the top harder to roll up. We just towed 1100 miles and for the bugs on the front of the cover it is perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back