Ready to Order 2015 - 20SLMX

Pat and Renee

Reaction score
Hello

I used a forum to fine tune our new motorhome and thought I would reach out on the Bennington forum regarding our pontoon purchase.

A little info on how we are going to be using the boat is a good start

It will be towed behind our Motorhome is the reason staying on the smaller side with a 20ft boat.

Mostly for relaxing type boating with maybe the grandbaby tubing (have ski boat when local in the summer)

Me and wife mostly in the winter

We like the floor plan on the 20SLMX with having alot of room outside the foot print of the seating area (front/back) for storage and maybe a small grill/cooler

Not having a specfic body of water for the boat and traveling around the water conditions will vary from smooth inland lakes and med chop but of course not every planning on real rough water.

With that said I have decided to at a mininium upgrade to 25" toons and some type of salt water package.

The dealer indicated to me that 75hp would be the perfect motor and any bigger would be back end heavy and not really give me much bang for my buck??

Has anyone put a larger 90hp or more on a 20ft boat with only (2) 25" toons.

I could be over thinking this but trying to assure I don't look back and say (wish i would have done this or that when ordering)

Thanks in advance for any comments/ suggestion

Patrick

I have never met anyone who sold their boat because the motor was too big. With that said, if the dealer is going to make claims about motor/performance combinations, get it in writing. People who go max HP are never unhappy. Their expectations are met. Anything less than that...keeping performance in line with expectations is hard. It depends entirely on your expectations.

The problem I am seeing on this and other forums...some sellers do a pi$$-poor job of matching motor with customer performance expectations.

I can't believe the number of Dealers who continually and intentionally down size the motor and talk you out of upgrades

I am not sure if they lack knowledge or are out right insane !

BUT 

You need to purchase what you believe is the best for you 

I was in the same spot last year my Dealer (LOL LOL) was clueless 

All I can say is buy the bigger engine or be willing too regret it forever !

BENNINGTON Are You Seeing A Trend ????

Dealers need to Be EDUCATED and CERTIFIED

Just My Humble Opinion

Pat and Renee buy nothing under 90HP

You will thank us all later :)

107175344.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm up this am and going to return to dealer today and discuss upgraded to a more stable boat in rough water and engine upgrade.

Wondering if I should cross the line into a Tritoon or go with a 22ft boat for become more stable in rough water.

From what I understand when you go Tritoon you are more stable in water but also need alot more engine to get the performance since having extra weight and drag of the 3rd toon in the water???

Jumping up to a 22ft over the 20ft is a less expensive option but we really don't need the seating and like the 20ft floor plan. Wondering if the extra 2ft of boat on 25" toon would allow more larger motor and be equal to the 20ft with tri toons??

With all that said I have increse our budget (while sleeping) and now to get back into the showroom and talk about another boat design.

What are your thoughts boat length from 20ft to 22ft if boat were set up with tritoons and proper motor

Enjoy the day

I had a 90 on my 2013 20 ft and that only had 2 25" toons. I also had a fishing station in the back and the fuel tank in the fishing station, so there was some weight back there, didn't seem to bad. So a 90hp on your would be just fine. IMO It really comes down to what your needs are.

You can see it in my gallery under 2013 Benny

Update: didn't see your last post.

If you can upgrade to a tritoon, I think you would be much happier, it is definitely worth it.

Found alot of Benny 20SLMX on line with a tritoon / rough water packages. The extra cost including larger motor seem worth it.

Now that I'm committed to the extra cost and away from the entry level pricing starting to flip/flop between the 20ft to 22ft boat

22SSX

Like the rear fishing area and still enough front seating. Everyting is a trade off and I would loose the open deck space but gain the fishing area. Maybe they offer an extended swim/deck with this model?

Sorry for using your forum for uloading my mind but there could be someone out there that provides valualble data that a dealer would not be aware of.

Off the dealer to discuss my boating purchase and hope to post this afternoon either a few question regarding just 1 boat or posting the final boat order.

Thanks

"Sorry for using your forum for uloading my mind but there could be someone out there that provides valualble data that a dealer would not be aware of."

That is the best use of this forum.

To really confuse you, we went with the 22" twin elliptical fishing boat because we could get the 150HP engine.  The dealer had a 115 on it and of course the comment was that was plenty of power.  I called BS and we upgraded for 1k more. 

I always say - buy your second boat first.

Not sure what your budget is for your new benny.....but at the boat show (at the lake) 2 weeks ago they had a '15 22ssrx blackout with a 150 on it that was pretty sharp.  Priced at just under 41K with all the upgrades like stainless rub rail and docking lights - the blackout package - pillowtop seating - G series helm chair - extended stern.......a very nice well equipped boat. 

DSCN13251_zpsei5jxkor.jpg

DSCN13261_zps4k7yxikj.jpg

Maybe this is more to your liking.....300HP and a bargain price of just over 98K

DSCN13321_zpso0xmskb6.jpg

We had a 22' standard pontoon and went to the gsr2250 tri and haven't looked back since.  The ride of the tri is pretty amazing and with 150HP on the back pulling a tube or skier is no problem even with several people on board.  When we started looking for a new boat several of the dealers we talked to said a 90 would be plenty.  But when we got in contact with Monica at spend a day she suggested at least a 115 on a 22 foot boat but if funds allowed a 150 would be better.  The 150 is pretty easy on fuel unless you are really out hot rodding around then it drinks a bit of fuel....but at just a tick under 40mph most motors will.

My first boat was a 2075 GLi with a 90hp 2x25' tubes. It was ....... fine. I was happy with the boat, but for my use of tubing and having fun, the 90 wasn't enough. Keep in mind I was tubing with 20-30 year olds, so takes a lot more work to try and "accidently" dump them off. Couldn't do it. top speed was about 26 if I remember correctly. One thing I really like about our ESP is it is easier to launch. Which if you are going to be traveling to different waters, you never know how shallow the launches will be. The extra buoyancy of the extra tube, or even twin elliptical for that matter, will make a huge difference. My Cadillac's tires don't even touch the water most of the time! I like the 22ft. The 20 was fine too. We never have that many people on so for the few times there is more than enough room.

And it included an Enertia SS prop.  Lodder's Marine in Fairfield OH really gave us a fair price on the whole package.  Also liked that the price was all inclusive.  

This purchase happened because I was tired of screwing around with the homemade live well from an old cooler.  

Now you have the worlds most expensive live well and the cheapest 150!!

Back