Reflections on 1st Season of Ownership

With regard to Vantage Guard, it also comes in "clear" which I would have loved to have had put on my brand new Benny. Due to a botched acid wash, my dealer is installing the black version on my boat so this spring I'll be able to share some pictures and next fall perhaps a few comments on how it has performed.

I am looking forward to hearing about your experience with it, and hopefully checking it out in person sometime. I hope it does the trick for you.

+1 on the Vantage Guard.

I checked their website and there are no dealers within 100+ miles of me. I'm wondering if they will sell me their product properly cut for my Benny and let me install it myself. I'll have to give them a call.

Went to school at Roger Williams U (right on Mt. Hope bay) back in the day and my wife's from Rhode island so know your area well. Are you able to take your boat to Martha's Vineyard or Newport??? Curious.

Well stated, thanks for sharing with the forum. Glad you had a good first season on your Bennington.

Went to school at Roger Williams U (right on Mt. Hope bay) back in the day and my wife's from Rhode island so know your area well. Are you able to take your boat to Martha's Vineyard or Newport??? Curious.
RWU is an undiscovered gem of a campus. They don't come in a much more beautiful setting.

Am I "able" or WOULD I take the triton to MV or Newport of Block Island are two very different questions LOL. I could take it on a flat glass waters crystal clear day, but I still wouldn't. We have more appropriate vessels in the family to go out in open waters. There are just too many variables to account for with the weather. I can get enough excitement without that LOL!

Last edited:
On Vantage Guard (plus a wrap product) I don't have my paperwork at this house but if memory serves it was about 1500-1700 combined. I think it is worth it as I have no toon damage and the guards still look new. They are black and match well with my Havanna Gold boat. Personal preference but I like the look.

If your budget is tight, I'd go with other utility options instead if you are on placid waters and are careful. Our waters are fairly challenging, as I mentioned, so for me it made sense. No regrets on the purchase. Only downside is that if the boat sits in the water for a bit you get some growth in the ridges in the guard, but it's easily scraped off.

I'll have to dig up some photos- she's off sleeping for winter.

Again, thank all of you for the advice, technical info and recommendations. It was invaluable
We are in the process of ordering a new G series fastback. Your right up was terrific. We live in Cape Cod and the boat will be in saltwater for the boating season. Would appreciate any advice. We have been told by the dealer that we have covered all the “culprits” concerning salt water. We are really exited about the whole process. Thank you

We are in the process of ordering a new G series fastback. Your right up was terrific. We live in Cape Cod and the boat will be in saltwater for the boating season. Would appreciate any advice. We have been told by the dealer that we have covered all the “culprits” concerning salt water. We are really exited about the whole process. Thank you

RWU is an undiscovered gem of a campus. They don't come in a much more beautiful setting.

Am I "able" or WOULD I take the triton to MV or Newport of Block Island are two very different questions LOL. I could take it on a glass waters crustal clear day, but I still wouldn't. We have more appropriate vessels in the family to go out in open waters. There are just too many variables to account for with the weather. I can get enough excitement without that LOL![/QU. It was actually called RWC Roger Williams college when I graduated back in 1983. It was a beautiful campus back then. I can imagine what it looks like now. I know there's a big fieldhouse on top of the soccer field I played on. I understand about taking your boat out when the bay is like glass on a calm day. We used to experience that when boating near the Chesapeake Bay in MD. On calm clear days we could go out in the bay. But when the wind whipped up forget it. Our bowrider couldn't handle it......

Great review...

Thanks for taking the time to write it...

I've only had one season in, but I haven't seen any destructive effects of the salt water....yet! I rinse it down after every use and cover the boat if it won't be used for more than a few days. I don't scrub it down like it with older boats in the past. The materials are new, synthetic etc. and just a hosing down seems to have been fine. One tip is that my Yamaha has a flush out valve on it. You just unscrew the cap and twist in a typical hose and run fresh water to flush out the engine. I didn't do this every time-some people do.

I assume that covering "culprits" included getting the bottom painted with marine guard paint. If not, definitely do that. A "must do" in my opinion.

Always lift the engine out of the water when not in use, but I assume you already know that.

Last edited:
I've only had one season in, but I haven't seen any destructive effects of the salt water....yet! I rinse it down after every use and cover the boat if it won't be used for more than a few days. I don't scrub it down like it with older boats in the past. The materials are new, synthetic etc. and just a hosing down seems to have been fine. One tip is that my Yamaha has a flush out valve on it. You just unscrew the cap and twist in a typical hose and run fresh water to flush out the engine. I didn't do this every time-some people do.

Always lift the engine out of the water when not in use, but I assume you already know that.

Same here Bronco, I rinse the toons, keep it covered and flush the motor after every use. So far I haven't observed any difference compared to boating in fresh water.

Same here Bronco, I rinse the toons, keep it covered and flush the motor after every use. So far I haven't observed any difference compared to boating in fresh water.
Update on salt water--this is my second season and the Bennington has been running flawlessly. Due to all of the nasty spring and early boating season weather, we got a late start. The only negative thing that I've noticed is that I'm starting to get a little rust on some of the welds in the stern area, like the ladder. Nothing major but salt water boaters should keep an eye out. I'm sure that I can address it fairly easily as its VERY minor. Other than that its been smoooooth sailing (and tubing and fishing and lounging and beaching....)

Did you ever run it over to MV? I’m thinking of doing the same (23SX EPS w/200HP). The sound is pretty calm if you pay attention to the weather,...

Did you ever run it over to MV? I’m thinking of doing the same (23SX EPS w/200HP). The sound is pretty calm if you pay attention to the weather,...
No I haven't. That was way back in the 80's during my college days and way before I owned my Bennington. Let us know when you make the trip. Where will you be going from???

Thanks for responding... most likely out of Child’s River boat ramp. However If I find a place which is a little more secure to leave my truck/trailer I’ll opt for that (even if daily charge) just to be on the safe side. We live in MA, but I bought my boat in Clinton, CT; when I took the boat out it was in Long Island sound and it handled the 2.5” chop extremely well... I’ll post more once I figure all this out (simply make a run for it :). ). Cheers.

Thanks for responding... most likely out of Child’s River boat ramp. However If I find a place which is a little more secure to leave my truck/trailer I’ll opt for that (even if daily charge) just to be on the safe side. We live in MA, but I bought my boat in Clinton, CT; when I took the boat out it was in Long Island sound and it handled the 2.5” chop extremely well... I’ll post more once I figure all this out (simply make a run for it :). ). Cheers.
Mike-Try going out of Horseneck. There is a really good state boat ramp there and a decent size parking lot. If you stay in the channel you can avoid most of the hazards of the Westport Harbor and its a short hop to Cuttyhunk, MV etc. I don't do it because I don't like taking a pontoon out into the Bay (we have other boats for open ocean). Be very careful if you do.
This area is a relatively undiscovered gem. Its not very busy and there is bery little traffic in and out of the area despite it being a beautiful waterfront.

Back