Reliance Series Prop?

JoshinMI

Reaction score
On our new L23, the dealer installed a Reliance series prop. Gave the standard "we tested multiple props and this was the better one" line. However the Yamaha website doesn't list any Reliance series props as recommended for the 250SHO motor. I don't understand why this prop would be installed if it's not on the recommended list from Yamaha.

*I'm currently in the break in period and with 3 adults, a full 50 gallon tank got 5800 RPMS @45 MPH on ESP hull.

Not bad performance. My guess is the reliance prop is what they had. Think reliance props are more common on 150-200 applications but that sounds like pretty good numbers. See what happens post break in

I’ve heard good things about Reliance props, so I wouldn’t worry yet. And the performance numbers you gave sound pretty promising. How calm was the water and wind conditions? 50 gallons of gas is a lot of weight as well.

Try testing it out after break in on calm conditions, little to no wind, maybe 1-2 people, and no more than 15 gallons of gas. That should give you highest potential RPM’s at WOT, and then you can work from there if its not close (but under) your RPM limit. I’d be curious what your numbers will be in that scenario after shedding 1-2 people and 35 gallons of weight...errr gas. I bet you jump up a few more mph.

I believe the Reliance props are for 200 hp and below. I have a 23 SLX with a 250 SHO and 15.75 x 15 SWSII prop. I get 47.5 @6000 rpms with 5 adults and 30 gallons of fuel. The hole shot is excellent. I would push for a SWSII either 15.75 x 15 or 15.5 x 16 or maybe even 17 if you don't load the boat up too often.

I believe the Reliance props are for 200 hp and below. I have a 23 SLX with a 250 SHO and 15.75 x 15 SWSII prop. I get 47.5 @6000 rpms with 5 adults and 30 gallons of fuel. The hole shot is excellent. I would push for a SWSII either 15.75 x 15 or 15.5 x 16 or maybe even 17 if you don't load the boat up too often.
They put on the SWS2 16P. I haven't had it out since the switch. I am definitely interested in seeing how it goes.

I've started the same conversation with my dealer, Reliance 15 x 14-1/2, VF200 on a LX 24. Got the same story about testing props to get correct WOT. My issue is that there are multiple ways to get to that number. Performance may be good, but if it could be even better with SW II, who wouldn't want that? They at least agreed to discuss after break-in

Reliance is the wrong prop, full stop. Dealer is not doing their job and giving you the correct prop, I was there myself with my F250. You can see my test results in another thread in this subforum and how the dealer-provided Reliance compares against 3 other props.

Dealer will say desired top speed was achieved. But there is much more to performance such as hole shot, efficiency, turning and even rough water handling.

That 16p SWS2 will throw you back in your chair and be miles better, with similar top speed. I have an Enertia 17p with a raised motor and would highly recommend.

The others nailed it...Saltwater 2 15.75x15 or 15.5x16 are great starting points for a pontoon sporting a VF250, according to the Yamaha Performance Bulletins and Prop Selector. Sounds like your dealer did the right thing by switching you to one of those two props.

Back