Removing and Relocating Ladder

Scotty

Reaction score
Hi.  Just purchased my first Bennington from my neighbor.  2002, 25 foot pontoon with a 100 HP on the back.  Love the boat.

I have a question for everyone about towing a tube behind the boat.  In order to hook up to the two eyelets on the pontoon and effectively tow, I need to remove the ladder which is located at the rear of the pontoon and is covering one of the eyelets.  Otherwise the harness will probably bend the ladder or the harness will break (either not an optimal outcome).  

I tried to remove the ladder, but one of the bolts holding it on is bolted into the underside where the aluminum skirt around the edge of the deck covers the bolt.  There seems to be no way to get to the nut on the underside like all the other bolts.  Frustrating.  Does anyone have experience with getting to the nut or removing a rear ladder?  

Any help is appreciated.

Don't pull from the eyelets on the tube.

There should be U bolts near the transom area designed for towing. 

I thought the U bolts are not for towing per Bennington....

There are two U bolts on the corners in the rear, but the one on the side of the ladder will still not allow the attachment of the harness without contacting the ladder.

I would research installing a pylon or a tow bar similar to what is currently offered, not having a ladder would be a bigger PITA than not being able to tow.  It's already a hassle, then where are you going to put it?  Having it out back makes towing easier.  Add the proper tow piece, lots of aftermarket options.

I would research installing a pylon or a tow bar similar to what is currently offered, not having a ladder would be a bigger PITA than not being able to tow.  It's already a hassle, then where are you going to put it?  Having it out back makes towing easier.  Add the proper tow piece, lots of aftermarket options.

Agree with Matt.  Get the right tool for the job; in this case, get a tow bar properly installed.  Towing from the cleats via a bridle, you run the risk of one of fouling the prop.

Back