Removing ski pylon

ranger45

Reaction score
I am having a problem with the motor pod. It all started with the motor hitting the mounting pod. I posted that in another posting. The problem now is the new pod lets the retractable ski pylon hit the seat. The base mount is mounted to far back. I was wondering if you can remove the retractable part from the base. The dealer is trying to come up with a solution that won't take forever to accomplish. They said it could take a month to get a new pod. Their other option is to weld another plate in the pod and drill a new hole. I am wondering how you would feel about the welding option?

Was wondering if Team Bennington can weigh in on this problem. I really don't want to be without the boat a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was wondering if Team Bennington can weigh in on this problem. I really don't want to be without the boat a month.
Hi Ranger,

sorry for this trouble, bummer. Please send us a PM with your serial number and dealer name so we can work out the details off-line. Thanks, TB

Last edited:
The retractable pylon comes apart, there is a set screw near the top plastic ring that when taken out will let you lift the whole inner part out. My retractable pylon was not tall enough for the ski line to clear the tall Verado. I used 4" square aluminum tubing to extend the mounting up 4". Then the pylon would not quite clear the hole in the rear deck when lowered. I took the pylon apart, there is a thick plastic spacer in the bottom that controls how low it goes down. I trimmed it enough to let the top deck close without hitting, and all is good and looks factory. Much cleaner in my opinion than a bunch of bars and tubing wrapping around the engine. If they have a qualified welder, a new plate would not be a big issue, but appearance wise you will always see where the original one was.

I am having a problem with the motor pod. It all started with the motor hitting the mounting pod. I posted that in another posting. The problem now is the new pod lets the retractable ski pylon hit the seat. The base mount is mounted to far back. I was wondering if you can remove the retractable part from the base. The dealer is trying to come up with a solution that won't take forever to accomplish. They said it could take a month to get a new pod. Their other option is to weld another plate in the pod and drill a new hole. I am wondering how you would feel about the welding option?

Back