Replace factory speakers or???

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
My 21 r23 has the 6 speaker kicker system and rockford pmx-2 head unit. The sound quality is horrible. No bass and you cant turn it up at all or the sound distorts. How did bennington wire 6 speakers to a 4 channel head unit? I haven't pulled apart the console yet to see how its wired. Before I drop 1200$ on some new speakers what's everyone else doing?

I have the PMX 3 ( Sirius ) with the kicker sub . I was thinking I was going to have to make adjustments ,but the only change I have made was bumping the sub up to 20

My 21 r23 has the 6 speaker kicker system and rockford pmx-2 head unit. The sound quality is horrible. No bass and you cant turn it up at all or the sound distorts. How did bennington wire 6 speakers to a 4 channel head unit? I haven't pulled apart the console yet to see how its wired. Before I drop 1200$ on some new speakers what's everyone else doing?
See my comments under "stereo upgrade" I had the same issue and corrected it with a 10 inch JBL sub. Very easy install. I'm a bit if a stereo / sound freak and I'm very impressed with the sound quality. My son is a sound engineer who has done some recordings and also was impressed with the improvement.

You need a sub, with it's own amplifier, and amplifiers for the other speakers. The head unit just doesn't have near enough power.

Unishot, that is not totally correct, yes for sub having to be self powered which the JBL SUBBP is so no need for an amp. The sub is directly wired to the battery. The existing PMX2 continues to run the speakers as is. If you are just going with a 10 inch sub woofer speaker and not the box sub then a amp is required, but the amp like the sub box still has to be directly wired to the battery so the logic is why pay for both an amp and sub speaker when. you can get a combo. Also with just the speaker you will need to find a spot for it and cut a hole. The one negative to the box sub is it takes up space. I have mine under the helm council and it fills it up but I don't care about that, the plus to it being there in the confined space is it really kicks out the bass.

haven't done it on the boat yet, so take my advice with a grain of salt... but i've done it in my home theater...

The sound/distortion (what you are hearing that you don't like) won't improve even when adding a sub if you don't integrate it right. you need to make sure the sub is crossed over to the main speakers. you want the sub playing everything below about 80 hz, and the speakers playing everything above that. the low frequencies suck up a bunch of power and contribute to a boatload (lol) of distortion from the mains... Not sure how to do the crossover with the equipment you have, but if someone has a link to the manual, i can help...

found it in the manual... in the audio menu go here and set it to 80 or 120 (120 would be better to relieve strain on the head unit, and likely works well since boats are outside and don't have a room to interact with...):

CROSSOVER
Short press to access the CROSSOVER settings. Use the rotary encoder to select
the crossover zone options (FRONT>REAR>SUB). Short press the encoder to
adjust the frequency of the crossover (60Hz>80Hz>120Hz>APF). Short press
MENU to exit and go back up one level.

Back