Replacement Knobs for Bimini?

bankerii

Reaction score
Anybody replaced the plastic bimini knobs with something sturdier. My boat only has 8 hours on it and one of the knobs is already cracked and stripped. I pulled the plastic cover off and there is nut underneath that can easily be tightened with a wrench. I know Bennington will warranty this item, but it's not sturdy construction and I know it will happen again. My mastercraft had solid cast metal tightening knobs for the wakeboard tower, I was thinking something similar would make an excellent replacement. If anybody has replaced these knobs with something more substantial, please let us know what you used.

Thanks,

bankerii,

My 2006 Bennington 2275 IO had a double bimini and I never had a knob go bad. Lots of summer use in Az. Traded the 2006 for 2012 Bennington 22SSI with double biminis and we have 35 hrs with no knob problems. Maybe you have a back knob or it was over tighten during installation!

Riverbill

Anybody replaced the plastic bimini knobs with something sturdier. My boat only has 8 hours on it and one of the knobs is already cracked and stripped. I pulled the plastic cover off and there is nut underneath that can easily be tightened with a wrench. I know Bennington will warranty this item, but it's not sturdy construction and I know it will happen again. My mastercraft had solid cast metal tightening knobs for the wakeboard tower, I was thinking something similar would make an excellent replacement. If anybody has replaced these knobs with something more substantial, please let us know what you used.

Thanks,
I've replaced both of mine in 5 years aftert the warranty was up. I looked high and low for something else to replace them but couldn't find anything else. The dealer had them in stock...........

One was lost by the previous owner, and my Dealer said that they are no longer available. It was suggested that I replace the whole bracket with a newer design. Having a double bimini that uses these knobs in six or more places, I elected to buy a couple 'after market'.

bankerii,

My 2006 Bennington 2275 IO had a double bimini and I never had a knob go bad. Lots of summer use in Az. Traded the 2006 for 2012 Bennington 22SSI with double biminis and we have 35 hrs with no knob problems. Maybe you have a back knob or it was over tighten during installation!

Riverbill
The knob cracked and stripped away from the bolt, so I guess you could say it was over tightened. Over-tightening however, should not be a concern and would not be an issue if these knobs were designed better. I am going to look for some cast metal one piece wakeboard tower knobs that will fit. I have one sitting in my garage left over from a replacement on my mastercraft. It would work perfect if the shank/bolt were the right size. If I find anything I will post.

The Knobs Bankerii Is talking about on his Master Craft. Are very nice and I was thinking about the same thing for my Q's Bimini. They are thick nurled Aluminum Anodized Knob's. I can see them costing $20 to $50 each

I have been searching around and it does not look like solid one piece knobs are going to be hard to find. Does anyone know what size bolt the OEM Bennington knob screws onto? It appears to be either 13mm or 1/2. Would it be standard or metric?

I have been searching around and it does not look like solid one piece knobs are going to be hard to find. Does anyone know what size bolt the OEM Bennington knob screws onto? It appears to be either 13mm or 1/2. Would it be standard or metric?
5/16x20. I had to replace one

Bankerii: Post up what you find. I would be up for changing my'n out.

I got some after market Knobs for my Boats tower, Here are some Before and after pic's The one the left was the stock one.

725096.jpg

725097.jpg

725098.jpg

Now I understand they don't need to be this big or overkill but you get the point a nice solid piece of aluminum with a nurled edge

My boat is only a couple months old and I broke one of them already. My wife went to the dealer and they gave us a couple just in case (they are over an hour away from us).

I had my machinist buddy custom make me a set out of aluminum round stock and he knurled them also. They are maybe

1 1/4" in diameter.The contact side is undercut to 1/2" dia.

I had my machinist buddy custom make me a set out of aluminum round stock and he knurled them also. They are maybe

1 1/4" in diameter.The contact side is undercut to 1/2" dia.
You better buy that machinist buddy of yours a nice present during the holidays, he seems to be mentioned quite frequently on here! Haha wish I had one!

Derrick

Derrick, You don't have to wish for friends, we'll be your friends :p

Derrick, You don't have to wish for friends, we'll be your friends :p
WooHoo!!! I was gonna say wait till I tell my other friends, but who are we kidding, I have no one else to tell!! Haha things are starting to look up for me!!

Derrick

Back