Replacing non-working Faria Depth Device - 2008/2275GL

Bill McNicol

Reaction score
Purchased new Faria Depth Sound device including water and air temperature sensors. Two cables (water temperature and transducer cables) need to be "fished' along left rear pontoon and then right along crossmember to steering station and instrument panel. Old transducer cable cannot be used and it is attached to decking and cannot be used as a pull wire for the new cable. How can the new cable(s) be "fished" fairly quickly and easily? Does the boat have to be removed from the water? The second (air temperature) sensor is easily mounted and wired at the steering console.

It would seem that during the design phase and installation of electrical cables the use of inexpensive plastic conduits could be used under the decking and between the pontoons to facilitate the replacement of electrical wiring when repairs are needed and thus save a lot of time an expense for the service technician or the the owner who may need to undertake the repair DIY.

Don't know if you have access to a fish tape used by electricians. That's what I would use. If you can't borrow one I am sure you could rent one pretty reasonable. As long as you have access I would think it would not have to be out of the water but it would certainly make it easier on a trailer.

A fishtape is the way to go. I used one to fish the power ans ground for the power steering. They aren't that expensive for the shorter ones.

the fishing "sticks" that Harber sells work better than a fish tape. They screw together for the proper length and are easily "directed"

where you want it to go. Forty years of electrical experience. Steve

Back