RePowering

Angela & Michael

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Doing a repower on my 2275 GCW twin log pontoon. Switching from a 2011 Evinrude Etec 115 HO to a new 150 Mecury 4 stroke. Any idea on which prop works best in the aluminum series? Dealer is thinking a 4 blade, but Mercury tells me a 3 blade would work best. I’m thinking a Black Max prop 15.3 x 15 will put the rpms at the right spot close to 5800. Mercury says that’s my best bet. Any thoughts?

A stainless is usually suggested 150 hp and above. On my 2014 150, I had a Mercury Enertia 15X15 . On my 2013 with a 90 , I had Black Max 4 blade . I don't recall the size

Is there a reason you are looking at aluminum? It’s going to flex and lose grip being powered by a 150hp motor. Kind of negates a lot of the extra hp of the motor.

Personally, a SS Enertia prop is goin to work really well with a 150hp Mercury motor.

I’m on Indian river and Rehoboth Bay. It’s super shallow and at present we’re still checking out all the sand bar shifts into the channels. I will be going Stainless AFTER the propping is set to good pitch for this new engine and remapping on my gps is complete. I do get the 5 year warranty but that doesn’t cover negligence on my part.

That makes a lot of sense. Got ya! And…that will be nice repowering and switching from the E-tec to the Mercury. I’d be inclined to go with the Mercury recommended 3 blade, but I could see a four blade making sense for what you are doing too. But as for specific recommendations, I am not very knowledgeable with it comes to the aluminum props, and particularly 4 blade props. I bet you’ll get some good ideas soon from others. Good luck!!!

Congratulations on the re-power! I’ll be honest; I didn’t think a pontoon could handle 150 HP. I have a feeling it’ll really scoot!

On my 2011 RCW2275 with 150 Merc Pro XS, best prop was 15 pitch enertia. I would expect it to be the same for you. Motor top RPM is 5750 so thats in the right range for you

On my 2011 RCW2275 with 150 Merc Pro XS, best prop was 15 pitch enertia. I would expect it to be the same for you. Motor top RPM is 5750 so thats in the right range for you
That helps a lot….thank you. I wish I had the elliptical tubes as well.

Quicksilver / Mercury props in aluminum

Nemesis / Spitfire for a 4 blade prop, will get you more blade area and bite for acceleration, towing and maybe better cruise.

Black diamond / Max for 3 blade. I wouldn't go lower than 14 inches of diameter, with ideal more in the 15in range.

Quicksilver is the same as Mercury, just branded different so they sell to the open non-dealer market.

If you're just running sandbars I would most definitely go SS as quick as you can, maybe the aluminum is for the first few runs mapping channels and then serves as your spare. But the SS will handle sand better than the aluminum. If those sand bars have large rocks in then I can see the logic of going AL, to preserve the gearcase in the case of a strike. But just keep in mind if you do end up grabbing bottom with your AL it could chew it up pretty good beyond repair. All about tradeoffs.

Thank you to ALL for the helpful thoughts and tips. The dealer and I discussed the props and decided during the Break In period, we would use his recommendation of a blade they always have success with…usually a Merc 4 blade. If I’m not happy with it, he would change out at no cost. At present I’m working on getting not only the 5 year warranty, but also the 1500 dollar rebate from Mercury. Please Keep your fingers crossed. My 2012 Benny is so worth the update. It’s like getting a new boat at a much better price. Also looking to maybe use Mercury VesselView. It’s looks pretty cool at a good price.

Are you referring to the Vessel View Mobile?

I've got 1 and use it every time out. Just plug it in and link it to your phone . I've been trying to find a tablet that will work in the sun .

I've been trying to find a tablet that will work in the sun .
I’ve got my old iPad that in an ideal world I would love to repurpose for this, but just doesn;t work well with sun glare and angles. As a result, I don’t pull up my vessel view on my phone like I thought I would. If I had something semi-mountable other than my phone I think I’d use it more. Love the data when i do use it.

I have old one as well . Definitely not made for viewing in the sun. I've seen a couple androids that are ,but I wasn't happy with some of the reviews and specs. I haven't checked yet this year.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting I have mine installed. I was only on the boat 3x last year in 2023 and the last time I logged into VV was 2022. Sad that a 2011 Boat only has 138 hours. That's 12 hours a year of engine run time on average. Maybe I shouldn't even own a boat anymore. HAHHAHA

But I never had an issue of viewing the VV in my cellphone in any light condition. Was always crisp and clear.

Attachments

• Vessel View.jpg
    Vessel View.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 14
I keep forgetting I have mine installed. I was only on the boat 3x last year in 2023 and the last time I logged into VV was 2022. Sad that a 2011 Boat only has 138 hours. That's 12 hours a year of engine run time on average. Maybe I shouldn't even own a boat anymore. HAHHAHA

But I never had an issue of viewing the VV in my cellphone in any light condition. Was always crisp and clear.
That boat must fly. Just got mine back and will launch this weekend. Only 1 problem…the trim indicator is in reverse no matter how it’s connected. Was told it’s a common problem when switching to Mercury.

Last edited:
Back