right size motor

Bennie

Reaction score
I have just purchased a 2012 2574 with the esp package. Currently it is outfitted with the Merc Verado 200.

I have not been able to find much info if this would be enough power for multiple uses.

I could have 6 adults on and would like to have a skier. Would that be enough? I know it would be fine for tubing.

For the additional money I dont know if I would be getting the most bang for my buck. The 225 / 250 weigh about 120lbs more going from 4cyl. to 6cyl. would the additional weight take away the performance?

Is this boat too heavy to even start with a 200?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum the one thing everybody seems to be in agreement on in this forum is get the biggest motor you can afford it puts less stress on the motor and it makes it funner for you and nobody ever says its got too much power

Actually, you'd get pretty good performance out of that boat with a 200. Even with a half dozen adults on board you'd probably get, I dunno... 35-40mph? Best guess.

Having said that, you will NEVER find a more cost effective time to max out your power, and of course the resale value benefits from that.

Buy the most power you can afford NOW, and you'll be happier for it later. Frankly, if you can afford it, step all the way up to 300. You can get a 350, but I'm not positive it's a good choice based on horsepower/dollar/pound. Of course, that's a very subjective things and I'd be lying if I claimed I wouldn't go for it. Well, if I was buying a new boat anyway.

BTW, prepare to be amazed at the handling of an ESP boat. It's like being on a traditional monohull.

I agree with the above two posters.

I have never heard anyone say they wish they had bought a smaller motor.

Good luck.

andy

Bennie,

My thought is that you would get decent performance with the 200hp verado but you will not be overwhelmed by the power. When you have six adults on board and then starting pulling a skier, you will wonder if you should have sprung for the 250hp. This is the optimum time to upgrade if you can. Let us know what you decide.

I agree with those who suggest that you should always power the boat to its limit. Best Performance and control.
You shouldn't have any problem with a skier and that many people. These Mercs are torque monsters and tac out very quick.

If a 250 is within reasonable price range go for it if not, only if yours isdrive by wire now or you will add extra costs re controlling the new motor. Just make sure you discuss prop changes with your dealer so you get what you need without having to buy a bunch. This should get you in a happy range. These are big and relatively heavy for the great handling.

Me, I'm torn between trying a jack plate or trading in this winter for a 350 equipped that's only if it breaks 50 plus on the test drive. Speed..

You shouldn't have any problem with a skier and that many people. These Mercs are torque monsters and tac out very quick.

If a 250 is within reasonable price range go for it if not, only if yours isdrive by wire now or you will add extra costs re controlling the new motor. Just make sure you discuss prop changes with your dealer so you get what you need without having to buy a bunch. This should get you in a happy range. These are big and relatively heavy for the great handling.

Me, I'm torn between trying a jack plate or trading in this winter for a 350 equipped that's only if it breaks 50 plus on the test drive. Speed..
I can confirm a 350 breaks 50MPH....

Back