RPM on Yamaha F70 - HIgh?

Reaction score
Hello - New to your family - I have been viewing from the outside. My Wife and I have purchased a 2012 20SLi with a YamahaF70. Just joined today to ask a question. RPM on this toon is 6250 wot - 2-adults and 8 kids. Figure weight at time on water was 1400lbs. Pulling tube with wot still running 6250 RPM.. 13 5/5 x 13 prop. Seems RPM still High. Will it hurt motor to run this high over long time?

Dealer says no issue. Bennington Factor Setup.. Just don't want to hurt the motor. Will put tubers (2- 100 lb Kids) on outside of wake at turn and WOT at 6250 RPM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Steealer fans and welcome to the forum. The Bennington recommended prop for your boat is the 13 5/8 x 13 prop. Part # 6E5-45949-00-00 Max RPM is around 6000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also what RPM does the engine read at idle? I am surprised you are able to reach max RPM with that much weight on board.

Welcome steelers fan and congrats in the new boat. I am also you can reach that rom with a full load. I suspect you might have a tach problem. Does the motor start to cut out as if to be hitting the rev limiter? My Yamaha will not go over 6200 which is where t hit the limiter. What does it do with only one person on board and also what are your speeds loaded and light load?

Welcome steelers fan and congrats in the new boat. I am also you can reach that rom with a full load. I suspect you might have a tach problem. Does the motor start to cut out as if to be hitting the rev limiter? My Yamaha will not go over 6200 which is where t hit the limiter. What does it do with only one person on board and also what are your speeds loaded and light load?
I am pleasantly surprised that it could pull a tube with this much weight as well. No the motor doesn’t cut out. I have had only my wife, one child and me on board once last year and it again reached 6250 real easy. Fast from the whole shot and tops out fast. I have no GPS and just a tachometer only. After that curse I took in back to the dock/marina and asked the dealer about it. They said Tach needs adjusting. So they told me they took care of that last year. Unless they never got around to it. I will have to keep a record next time on the water. I will post the numbers after that. I do appreciate everyone’s input. Just seems one step up in the Prop might put things in line. Just the Props are not cheap and from reading all the post about speed vs. cost not worth it. I just want to protect my motor. First new boat in my life and I don’t want it to get misused due to setup issues. I want to keep this baby for a long time.

Also what RPM does the engine read at idle? I am surprised you are able to reach max RPM with that much weight on board.
Will note numbers next time out. I was very surprised to. Great Toon so far. I bought this last year on Labor day weekend after my last inherited boat died at the dock/marina. Bought this on the spot with 3 hours on it and only had it out that weekend. Put 16 hours on the motor(I made sure to break in correctly before WOT) that weekend last year. Dealer Winterized. Just got it out last week for the first time again.

Hello - New to your family - I have been viewing from the outside. My Wife and I have purchased a 2012 20SLi with a YamahaF70. Just joined today to ask a question. RPM on this toon is 6250 wot - 2-adults and 8 kids. Figure weight at time on water was 1400lbs. Pulling tube with wot still running 6250 RPM.. 13 5/5 x 13 prop. Seems RPM still High. Will it hurt motor to run this high over long time?

Dealer says no issue. Bennington Factor Setup.. Just don't want to hurt the motor. Will put tubers (2- 100 lb Kids) on outside of wake at turn and WOT at 6250 RPM.
Yes it will do damage if you are always at that rpm. If dealer says different, he needs to check with engine manufacturer.!

Back