RPM

Michael Lyman

Reaction score
Have a 2016 115HP on my TriToon. Seems to be running at 6000 and even 6500 RPMs now. Used to hover around 5500-6500.
thoughts on this? Seems high to me, Thanks for the thoughts.

Used to hover around 5500-6500? That's a BIG swing in RPM to hover around..

That's about what they can run up to. Are you seeing those RPM's on the tach and does it sound right?

Used to hover around 5500-6500? That's a BIG swing in RPM to hover around..

That's about what they can run up to. Are you seeing those RPM's on the tach and does it sound right?
Sounds like it’s pushing more, will play closer attention when out next time, thanks

Michael,
Those rpms sound a too high for a 115 hp engine. 5500 to 6000 should be the proper range. Sounds like a prop starting to slip. What engine do you have? Do you know the specs?

Last edited:
Was out again today, similar experiences and rpm was even a bit higher.
engine is a Mercury 1115F531D.

I did put a new prop on last year, but didn’t have any problems at end of season….was revving to 7000+ today but not at all times.

Appreciate thoughts…nursed her back to the dock to damage engine. Sounds like prop is slipping? An6 other thoughts?

Attachments

• 430D9BB9-1DAF-429B-8FC8-500F8B874DA4.jpeg
    430D9BB9-1DAF-429B-8FC8-500F8B874DA4.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 5
What prop?
What is pontoon?
Prop in good condition?
Does it accelerate hard (like it should? or does it seem like a car spinning it's wheels when accelerating?
Trim position have any effect?

Have a Mercury Black Max on there now….
15 1/4” diameter
15 Pitch
# rotating blades 3 RH
Aluminum

Boat is a Bennington tritoon, SX 21, 2016

Prom is in good shape! 1 minor ding

On trim, not sure I noticed a difference, I do know that when the trim was down completely it occurred

Did accelerate pretty hard, but In and it seem like it was definitely working harder

Hmmmm.
It is is possible that that 115 is making enough power to spin a 17 pitch. You have a good one if that's the case!

Does it help to add load? (passengers or towing)

Was out again today, similar experiences and rpm was even a bit higher.
engine is a Mercury 1115F531D.

I did put a new prop on last year, but didn’t have any problems at end of season….was revving to 7000+ today but not at all times.

Appreciate thoughts…nursed her back to the dock to damage engine. Sounds like prop is slipping? An6 other thoughts?
The rev limiter should kick in to stop over rev at 6000. Take the boat to a certified mechanic & get it diagnosed/repaired correctly. It’s well worth spending the money on a nice setup like yours. If you don’t, you’ll risk ruining the engine prematurely

Back