Rub Rail Repair or Replace

Waterways

Reaction score
I found this damage to my STBD side rub rail over the weekend. Suspect neighbors boat wasn’t tied up correctly and caused the damage. I am waiting on a response from my dealer regarding an estimate. Anyone else out there have to make this unfortunate repair? It looks like a continuous piece that would need to be replaced. BD10D009-3432-4C33-B95A-3B4785D99156.jpeg57D389E1-38F1-47E3-A635-1DA4250507F6.jpeg

Oh man that's messed up! Going to have to have some bumpers on that side in the future. Just in case ......

There should be some signs of damage to their glass boat. The damage always tells a story.

In my opinion, I believe we have evidence of damage to their port side dock light hull area and a slack dock line. Regardless, it’s going to be fixed by the dealer. Fault maybe one of those things that never gets resolved here. I can tell you I am not in that slip any longer.

Attachments

• E065BCCB-944F-4D6D-A7AB-F5EE6BDE4CB0.jpeg
    E065BCCB-944F-4D6D-A7AB-F5EE6BDE4CB0.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Live with it, wait for the next time, or the next time. Just live with it though.

That stinks. I lean with what you are saying…and you can kind of see some light damage right where you describe it on their boat too. Out of curiosity, did you get a chance to discuss the matter with the other boat owner? If not, maybe they’ll take responsibility for it and reimburse your insurance deductible OR parts costs?

Regardless, glad you were able to relocate your slip. That’s not always possible. What a frustrating discovery! Sorry to hear this happened to your boat.

Last edited:
The way they tied it off, no wonder it pulled into your boat. They port cleat line should be tied off to starboard side and vice versa. I see this all the time on our docks when people tie off improperly.

I found this damage to my STBD side rub rail over the weekend. Suspect neighbors boat wasn’t tied up correctly and caused the damage. I am waiting on a response from my dealer regarding an estimate. Anyone else out there have to make this unfortunate repair? It looks like a continuous piece that would need to be replaced. View attachment 30639View attachment 30640
Insurance claim ?

Dealer in my area had them in stock bc they have a rental fleet and they were always getting trashed. Cost me $100 for the parts and $200 for a sweet Milwaukee 12v rivet gun. Figured this won’t be the last time I replace one. Also swapped my standard cleats for pop up style so the toes are save now..

That sounds awesome! Assuming we go through with the repair, I like the idea of installing the pop up style cleats. Seems like the perfect opportunity. Do you have the same style that I have? Did it comes in segments or is it one complete rub rail component?

That sounds awesome! Assuming we go through with the repair, I like the idea of installing the pop up style cleats. Seems like the perfect opportunity. Do you have the same style that I have? Did it comes in segments or is it one complete rub rail component?
Hey Waterways I was talking to a bubby of mine he didn't see your pic but brought up maybe wet sanding. With like a 800 or 1000 grit. Maybe talk to a body shop in your area.

The piece in your picture is the same as mine was and is the nose cap and it is one whole piece. You will have to drill for the existing cleats. Mine are pop up but I considered flip up as well. Cleats are 6” SS about $40 a piece. Boatoutfitters.com pn 260-0577

Last edited:
Back