Rub rail

jmddkd

Reaction score
I have a 23sx there is no bumper around the rail. Can one be added? It would help protect the aluminum side.

Yes , a few members on the forum have added a Rub Rail .

We got our 22-SSX off the floor at our dealer's boat show, but it did not come with an HD rub rail like we would have liked to have. Our dealer checked with Bennington about swapping it out for us, but it was BIG BUCKS to do that because the rail is all integrated as a single unit, so all the old would have needed to be taken totally off, then totally replaced with an all new rail. Bad news from a price standpoint if not already ordered that way from the factory.

Instead, our dealer had some pvc-type rub rail as a Plan B option for us. They used black to match our black panel color, and mounted it with countersunk stainless screws about every foot. They heated it so it stayed tight even around the corner curves. It is centered on the silver railing that runs around the edge of the deck of the boat. It looks seriously awesome. It was only a few hundred dollars for us, installed. Our neighbors at the lake don't know it was fabricated by our dealer rather than being ordered that way from the factory -- so don't tell anyone. We wish it would have been originally ordered from Bennington with the HD rub rail ... but our dealer did good for us. It has really been a very wise investment ... believe us.

The material is obviously important, but the installer is as important, if not more so. My dealer had his most experienced technician install it, just to make sure it was all perfectly straight, level, tight, and evenly spaced. It is a rigid PVC-like material, in my case all black, and comes in long strips. It is flat on the back, then you can see the surface shapes in the pics. It is really difficult to tell it is not just a one-piece rail, unless you are specifically trying really hard to find any seams.

My dealer used Rigid Vinyl Rub Rail, Black, 20' X 1-7/16" X 1/2", Quantity of 3, and it cost about $100 each at that time from Taco Marine Supply. However, my exact material (V213671BKA20D) is no longer available as new stock today. I'm sure you can browse online, or your dealer can help you find an acceptable option.

Good luck!

You can see some of our pics in the following forum post:

Back