rust stain on woven vinyl silver floor

Maybrook

Reaction score
This year I purchased a new 2021 R24 Bowrider and recently bought a "Rubber Dockie" floatation device that I keep secured to the bow deck with a sand shark line. Before the tropical storm hit New England, I removed the floatation device and to my dismay, notice two light rust spots on the Woven Vinyl Silver flooring where the buckles on the two velcro straps holding the rolled up flotation tight, had rested. I used a mild liquid soap (ivory) and water, but it didn't remove. Does anyone have any suggestions on non caustic cleaning agents I could apply to remove or lighten the stains. Thank You.

This year I purchased a new 2021 R24 Bowrider and recently bought a "Rubber Dockie" floatation device that I keep secured to the bow deck with a sand shark line. Before the tropical storm hit New England, I removed the floatation device and to my dismay, notice two light rust spots on the Woven Vinyl Silver flooring where the buckles on the two velcro straps holding the rolled up flotation tight, had rested. I used a mild liquid soap (ivory) and water, but it didn't remove. Does anyone have any suggestions on non caustic cleaning agents I could apply to remove or lighten the stains. Thank You.
Fantastic and a soft tooth brush has been amazing at clean everything on our Benny so far.....

Try the Awesome cleaner from the Dollar store. Excellent on vinyl, plastic, carpet, etc. etc. .

Anything with Oxalic Acid like Oxy Clean or rust remover also bar keepers friend. Look at the containers of stuff over your washing machine and read the label.

Anything with Oxalic Acid like Oxy Clean or rust remover also bar keepers friend. Look at the containers of stuff over your washing machine and read the label.
Thank you for your feedback. I received many recommendations and they will hopefully handle my problem.

I also have the rust on the vinyl floor. Mine is caused because they used the wrong staples on the mat. This is covered under the warranty. They will ship the boat out to another company and they will remove everything and replace the flooring. The wait list is a few months and it will take about a month with shipping and all. I will probably wait a year or so to get it fixed. My boat is only a year old so the floor is still new.

Wow, so sorry to hear about your rust issue. One of the responders to my previous post regarding rust spots recommended using Oxy Clean or “Bar Keepers Friend” which is a powder cleanser I also keep at home to gently clean pans. Evidently both products contain oxalis acid which according to the respondent, is helpful in removing rust stains. I wet the woven silver vinyl floor and with a tooth brush applied a small amount of Bar Keepers Friend cleanser to the two rust spots and gently worked the area. Rinsed and applied twice. Took a micro fiber towel to rub the area and let the spot dry. Came back to the boat a day later and both rust spots were gone....unbelievable recommendation.

Thank you for your feedback. I received many recommendations and they will hopefully handle my problem.
Thank you for the recommendation. The “Bar Keepers Friend” worked like magic. I wet the area, gently worked the area a few times with the cleanser and a soft tooth brush. Rinsed, took a micro fiber towel and gently rubbed the area. Came back a day later and both rust spots were gone. Unbelievable...great recommendation.

Hi! I used Bar Keepers Friend on my chrome dock lights today - rust is gone!!! I just purchased the boat yesterday. It is in need of some TLC due to saltwater and salt air damage. Next project is the floor, it has large areas of reddish brown, I assume from the salt air? going to try the bleach/soap mixture tomorrow as nothing else has helped.

Hi! I used Bar Keepers Friend on my chrome dock lights today - rust is gone!!! I just purchased the boat yesterday. It is in need of some TLC due to saltwater and salt air damage. Next project is the floor, it has large areas of reddish brown, I assume from the salt air? going to try the bleach/soap mixture tomorrow as nothing else has helped.
What year is it ? Did you transfer the balance of the warranty if applicable ? Bennington had some bad glue 1 year.

Hello Jack - it is a 2016 and I think I could be the 3rd owner, so I assumed warranty was no longer valid. This is not the best photo but you can see the red in the top, I have several "red" areas on the deck. The back of the boat outside by the ladder cleaned beautifully, very white. and under each gate is white but the other areas just don't want to come clean. It was not taken care of by the previous owner(s).

Attachments

• Floor photo.jpg
    Floor photo.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 17
If you have an Authorized Bennington Dealer in your area , you could stop in and check .
Or ,call at (888) 906-2628
Have your Hull ID to include in the email or if you call .

Back