salt water trailers, aluminum or galvanized?

Wild and Free

Reaction score
For those of you in the salt water or brackish water areas what is the best route to go for a trailer in your opinions, galvanized or aluminum?

As far as options goes on the trailer as well aluminum or stainless steel for fenders and wheels?

I am looking at options and my next trailer will be my last and want one for any and all options, will have 14" wheels and disc brakes and a swing tongue, I like the look of the ez loader welded aluminum trailers but there are not many other options I am finding other than them, have found some custom boat trailer manufacturing companies.

I found a company the makes galvanized trailers but they don't look to be even close to the quality of the ez loaders.

I've seen a few of the McLain aluminum trailers in Florida that look really nice. Some of them tell you that while the frame material (such as galvanized) is certainly important to resist corrosion, it's all the other parts that seem to go first - brakes, wiring, brackets, etc.

http://www.mcclaintrailers.com/2252/index.htm

I had aluminum Myco's under my Cigarette and Skater. Aluminum is definitely the way to go for salt IMO.
Doesn't appear they cater to the lowly pontoon crowd but they look to be about as good as it gets in the high dollar custom stuff.

I've seen a few of the McLain aluminum trailers in Florida that look really nice. Some of them tell you that while the frame material (such as galvanized) is certainly important to resist corrosion, it's all the other parts that seem to go first - brakes, wiring, brackets, etc.

http://www.mcclaintrailers.com/2252/index.htm
Thanks Tom.  I filled out their online spec sheet and they responded right away this morning already. They and EZ loader look to be about the best.

I have a Road King aluminum trailer. They're in Fl and although mine not a week old yet it seems to be built pretty well.

Any photos of it Omike?

I have the alumium McClain trailer. Not really happy about the way they put the center bunk. Despite the engine at the stern, the center bunk is placed "ahead" of the two side bunks. Think about it as a arrow head. So the rear one third of the center toon is not supported.

Back