Saltwater pontoon different from freshwater?

mikeb33

Reaction score
I have a friend here in Illinois that just bought a place near Fort Meyer with dock. He wants to get a used pontoon and has been looking around here. Would a freshwater lake use intended boat be suitable in the ocean? Another friend said they used to be different but nowadays they can all go in saltwater. How can he be sure?

Last edited:
I ordered mine with the saltwater package when we lived in Michigan just in case we ever moved. Glad we did as a few years later we’re now in fl. I think the construction is the same but they add an additional bracket on the toons for anodes etc. I also ordered sealed strakes so marine life and saltwater wouldn’t get trapped in the strakes

My wife & I live in Northwest Florida. At the end of 2020 we bought a used 2020 Bennington 23 Q Series from a lake in Georgia. Our Florida Bennington representative recommended we add 3 zinc anodes (1 per toon) and always rinse well because we do not have sealed lifting strakes. Fortunately our Q Series came originally with brackets mounted on the rear of both outside toons for lights. Also, we store it on a lift and don’t leave it floating in salt water over night. Representative said we should be fine.

Back