Sand? Gravel? Rock?

kaydano

Reaction score
We haven't beached our boat yet...

So, my question is, at what size sand/gravel/rock are the pontoons at risk of damage to the point where you really shouldn't beach it "there"?

Do you only run your pontoons up on beach-like sandy shores? Is pea-sized gravel okay? Gravel road sized gravel?

Just wondering how strong the 0.08" aluminum is and at what point you have to start to worry. I realize the keel is there, but it ain't very deep and guessing it wouldn't be much help if even a 2-inch rock just missed it on either side.

We do not beach our toon on anything but beach like sand. Actually it's a decent way to get a partial pontoon cleaning of our fresh water grime.

I would be careful on pea size, and IMHO gravel size is out. 80/1000 isn't all that thick and aluminum being a soft metal... just sayin.

Steve

I would never beach any boat I own. I pride myself that when I sell a boat it looks as new as possable. Nothing good that can come from beaching a boat. In my opinion,

I have beached on sand numerous times and on gravel-like material (approx 1" dia) once. I did not notice any specific damage on the gravel but it just sounded bad and I decided not to do it anymore. On the other hand, on the lake I primarily boat, it seems all the pontoons beach on the sand (where available) and the v-hulls all anchor just off shore. Then the only problem is being boxed in when its time to leave lol! I could be wrong but it terms of potential damage, I dont think drifting up onto wet sand is much different than driving the boat onto carpeted bunks when reloading it on the trailer.

I do not beach my boats. Instead I anchor the front of the boat just off the beach where the water is still shallow and then have the stern of the boat tied off to a tree or to another screw type anchor on the beach. Keeping the entire boat still floating in the water. This way people have to wash their feet off before they enter the boat again, the ladder is already on the back of the boat and it has the aft vinyl floor. An old buddy taught me this a long time ago. Really helps not only protect your pontoons from damage but also keeps your carpet clean and sand free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, you guys have saved me from myself (doing something stupid). Love this site. I will only beach on a beach, if at all.

Also liking the ass-in parking, ladder, auto feet-wash thing. Makes perfect sense once you hear it said. Did I say how much I love this site?

What do you use for a screw anchor? I've seen homemade PVC "T" shaped anchors used in the sand... What's wrong with just tossing out a mushroom anchor? Maybe dry sand is too loose for it to hold? I can't see pushing a PVC pipe into the sand very far. Maybe that's where the screw part comes in...

I have been beaching on anything smaller than a golf ball for many years just as long as there is not any waves or other boat wakes to make it rock roll and rub, Sand in any conditions but gravel in calm waters only. Never had an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never beach any boat, rather tie off in shallow water with a anchor pole and a piece of rope. I have seen to much damage over prolonged periods to do otherwise.

The cooling/water pickups are located on the bottom of the lower unit. The water (s) pickup usually have horizontal slots. A gapping hole would provide for ingesting water without restriction. However, the gapping hole would also allow larger boulders into the system. The water pump system includes a rubber impellor and impellor bowl, along with gaskets and etc.

The question of sand and gravel is relative to impellor and bowl life expectancy. Sand and pea gravel that passes through the water pickup can and typically will, score the bowl and/or cut the impellor, resulting in "below" minimum water flow. "Below" minimum water flow can produce heat and destroy the engine. Regardless, sand and gravel are abrasive. Abrasion increases the tolerance needed for adequate cooling. After the water pump, debri, such as sand, can plug or corrupt the thermostat and other passages.

From time to time one may hit a hidden sand bar. There will be a cloud of dirty/sandy water and simultaneous risk of sand ingestion. A similar or greater risk applies to beaching on sand/gravel. The prudent operator will shut off the engine and paddle on and off the beach.

It should be noted, annual maintainance should include changing the water pump impellor and bowl. Subject to ingesting sand, watch the temp and change the water pump more often as required.

I put my boat in the water for the first time this year. It is a 2010 2575 QCW I/O. I was thrilled when it started right up with no hesitation and purred nicely around the lake. I was nervous because time got away from me and I never winterized it. I put Stabile in the tank as it sat in an indoor storage unit, and put a portable bilge heater in it. The lake was much lower than I anticipated, and while I was idling towards the boat ramp I slid on to a sand bar and the engine stalled. I raised the motor, got out, pushed it off the bar until it was floating free again, and then started it up as a lowered the motor. Then I put it in gear and got back to open water. The bottom was hard clay for the most part with no rocks, and some muddy, mushy parts. I ran it for a bit after that, but I was wondering if I should do any maintenance on it as a result. I've beached in sandy spots before but I normally shut the motor off and glide in without the motor running. That was really the first time I've spun up a good amount of mud and stalled the engine.

Any thoughts?

Beach sand only for us - usually cut and raise the motor and coast in. When leaving I'll walk the boat out until I get to waist deep water, lower motor and off we go.

Back